Review: Scythe Mugen 5 Black air cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today, we are reviewing another air cooler from Scythe: the Mugen 5 Black Edition, coming from the best seller series of this German manufacturer. It’s The last time we got our hands on this company...

Review: Scythe Mugen 5 Black air cooler

Thunk_It likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    scythe is german ?
    I thought they were japanese or something.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  4. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    From https://www.scytheus.com/about-us
    Scythe Co., Ltd., (Registered and incorporated in Tokyo Japan) originally started its business
    operation in Japan’s famous “Akihabara Electric Town” located in the metropolitan Tokyo, where
    visitors can find a variety of products from the latest computer parts to the world’s most
    advanced high-tech electric devices.

Scythe Co., Ltd., began its operation and business since November 2002 as a distributor and the
    manufacturer of passive and low-noise PC parts including CPU cooler, case fan, and accessory.
    Since then, the company has established the R&D facility in Taiwan & China for production and
    quality control, and the USA office & European office for customer care and sales support.

At Scythe, we believe that the best ideas for the product come simply from knowing customers’
    needs and their expectations. Based on this philosophy, the PC enthusiasts working at Scythe
    know what to develop because that is exactly what we would like to have for ourselves too! We
    offer products with 100% quality assurance and total pride, and if the product has the Scythe
    name on it, you can rest assure that its quality will be up to the “Zero Tolerance” standards!

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No RGB? Oh dear.
    Nevermind, I'll write Schyte in my book as a firm with backbone and unaltered image.

toyo likes this.
  6. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Exactly.

"German Manufacturer"???

I love Scythe and all Japanese products. It's a international company originating from Japan.

7. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I like this cooler. Thank you Hilbert for posting this review.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    but comes with only one fan, and no clips for additional fan

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @tty8k
    ah ok... so does the 5
    (120mm though)

DH 15 can be a bit of pain
    its ok if you have 1 monster, but having a monster CPU cooler + monster GPU + monster RAM can spell trouble
    I couldn't fit Accelero IV in the 1st PCI-e slot.

10. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Corrected, my mistake. The EU HQ is in Germany.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Seems solid. Temps look good and pretty close to my NH-D15. Tested on the 3700x though. I'm guessing the gap would widen using this on a 5800x for example. Still, for the price, not bad. Fairly compact too.

I've just been thinking out loud, but is there even a way to improve on air cooling past the NH-D15? How would that go?

12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    case+case fan setup+thermal compound
    d15s ftw

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I mean you can mess with thermal compound but I was more on about changing the fin stack and fans. Maybe they could squeeze in a couple more heatpipes and tweak the fin stack. But that would probably make it too big. I don't know.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    or too heavy
    create too much air obstruction

imo the limit for air cooling performance/noise has been reached

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, that's what I think, because no matter how I look at the NH-D15, I just can't quite see how it could be improved.

The beauty of the NH-D15 and other good air coolers in fact is that those fans sit right over the RAM sticks blowing air over them, plus the VRMs.

I'm sure Noctua and others employ top people so I'm not even sure why I'm brainstorming on how to improve it.

16. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Most important part of any cooler is bottom base. If it has a weird pattern, rough surface finish and cheap material it's gonna suck.

Can that be improved? Yes, always. But maybe not to point where it's profitable to sell.

With current costs of materials and traditional machining applications, yes, "it's most likely close to best performance"

Mugen seems to do it very good. Smooth base.

Attached Files:

17. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    I would assume that the Mugen-5 will fit my "Alder Lake Intel CPU" upgrade in a few months time including a new Z690 MB. With Scythe introducing a new air-cooler this late in the year and with major tech-changes on the short horizon, it should have been prominently mentioned that Scythe will in fact be standing behind any of their new cooler products being purchased and keeping their customers whole. I would further hope that ANY cooler manufacturers out there will do the same and or offer free CPU mount adaptors or new AIO pump heads in making a transition to a new Gen CPU (socket) a snap for their valued customers and those who purchased over the past 12-months. Since I have not heard otherwise, I personally will not be purchasing any type of new coolers this year and waiting out the market. Hello Corsair! Buying a new cooler of any type right now and it essentially being outdated in less than 90-days to me is like throwing $$$ out of the window. I would further (soon) like to see official Intel communication certifying exact Alder Lake CPU cooling requirements and minimum cooler die-sizings to becoming better informed and especially by comparing this information to third party cooler hardware or paid tech-channel testing being proffered. The Alder Lake generation exercise will probably increase the cost for all yet to be introduced and 100% compatible new cooling products this October by a cool 25%-30% and in line with the costs slated for the new Z690 MB's.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Noctua offer free mounting kits for sockets that came out after you bought the cooler.

Tom Sunday likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that name i have not heard in while?, I use to use there case fans in my pc, I think we starting to see that air cooler pushing there limits for these 6c/12 or even 8c/16t cpu.

To me anything above 65c full load it to high, i wonder how much farther they can push air coolers to keep those temps under full load. anything over 70c is no no for me on cpu and if it hiting 90c kick my paranoia in. the full load temp of current cpu are bit to high for taste.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You say that because you're running a 6700k, they run cool. I've learnt that with a 5800x if I leave everything on default, on full load it'll shoot to over 80C as soon as you put the load on the CPU. Sure there's things you can do to negate that behaviour but yeah, some of these modern chips do run hot.