AMD CEO: Chip shortage will last until the end of the year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    But supply should improve every quarter. AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su expressed her ideas about this and her hopes for the next months seem more positive.

Read more

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The availability of Ryzen 5000 is already normal. The prices are what AMD wanted them to be: Nobody has forgotten how AMD set them to be considerably more expensive than Ryzen 3000, fully on purpose. Intel's unlocked 6- and 8-core CPUs certainly have a significant price edge, and naturally AMD isn't even offering any entry level 5000 series CPUs. However, Intel is offering nothing as a response to the expensive 12-core and very expensive 16-core AMD ones. Of course you can buy the ridiculous i9 with the same eight cores as the i7 if you desperately need to donate money to the poor Intel out of the goodness of your soul. No sane person on Earth still understands why the i9 is not 10-core like in the previous gen. If it was, you could easily view it as a response to the 12-core AMD one.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    ...As we've seen in recent weeks, CPU and GPU supply and prices have quickly returned to normal.
    Excuse me whaaaat?:eek:
    What normal stands for in this sentence?
    MSRP+50%?

4. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    More like MSRP x2 for VGAs.

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Can you please update the title to the following?
    AMD CEO: Shitty MSRP prices last until the end of the year

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    If you look Amazon or E-tailer yes, if you go to real shop the price have fallen, the only problem is aviability for now but REAL price is very close to old MSRP.
    Also there is plenty of second hand GPU on market, they have bough at 2000 Euro, original MSRP is 400 Euro they ask 1600... you make offer at 400 or 500 and most will accept as they are limiting the lost due to their stupidity (some even sell more than computer part car, TV set etc...) this mining bubble have done more damage than previous one.
    Shortage will last a bit due to the whole factory/supply chain have been impacted so:
    -DON'T buy at over high price (and ***k those that still want to milk you, Amazon and other)
    -Buy 2nd hand at YOUR price (you have the handle of the pan this time).

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wish that was the case over here. The prices haven't fallen at all. The domestic stores were slower to raise prices than many big, international operators, but they also seem to be slower at lowering them as well. Availability is very mixed. I wonder if it's due to Nvidia halting the production of non-mining limited chips, but not actually producing all the limited ones. For example there haven't been any 3060 Tis available for a long time now and stores don't even accept pre-orders anymore, as if they knew there won't be any, either, in the foreseeable future. All AMD 6000 video cards are available in some models, but, like I said, the prices haven't dropped over here at all.

I'd hesitate to buy a used mining card. It might have been memory overclocked to the brink of destruction. I'd be afraid it would die soon after the warranty expiration date. That being said, Finns are pretty stubborn people, so I wonder how many would be willing to drop their price 50% or more, like you are suggesting. I bet many casual miners here actually genuinely believe they can get their money back nearly 100% when selling the card.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    We're seeing the exact inverse of 2016, where Intel was the more expensive option but was the obvious choice for top performance, while AMD was very appealing for those on a budget.

I can understand why AMD isn't bothering with anything entry-level as they're pretty easily selling all of their mid and high end parts, though, I can't help but wonder what they're doing with all the low-quality bins. Perhaps those are being used for mobile chips, where they might see more profit.

9. Youkinen

Youkinen Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070

Can confirm this, as I just sold (yesterday) my 2,5 years old 2070 for 475e.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    A couple weeks ago I picked up a 5800x from Amazon for a little under $400. My X370 board died and decided new MB/new CPU and Amazon could get it to me next day. So some things are a little better.

I still need a GPU to replace the launch day 1070 and ugh that side of things sucks.

Airbud likes this.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    looks like I picked the wrong decade to update my rig...

[​IMG]

Airbud likes this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Cards will be available soon not just 3060 and 2060s which are widely available now, not even gonna mention the 3070s shops are currently scalping at £900+

13. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    DannyD likes this.
  14. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    Not bad, i sold my RX 570 8 GB for 355 € few months ago, now i'm waiting for its upgrade's price to come down to reasonable level.:D

Don't worry, I don't buy overpriced hardware, rather wait and wait some more.:)

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I can sell my RX580 as it costs more than it had, as it is almost unused.
    But what to get after that?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Didnt you get the 580 as a gift from a guru3d member? Selling it for a profit would be disrespectful.

anticupidon likes this.
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Undying
    Sir, I think until now I proved (in the forum limits) that I have some moral standards. And money or profit are nothing to me when it comes down to family, friends and forums.
    Selling that card for profit it would be so disrespectful.
    Exactly. This is why that card is barely used. I have the box and the wrappings where it came from.
    That card will stay with me until the end. It means something more, it means a LOT to me.

mohiuddin, Airbud and Undying like this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    exactly
    selling used card for a quick profit,without realizing that new ones carry an even bigger premium

I could sell the 1070 I got for 150eur for at least 300,but now if I wanted a new card I'd have to pay double the msrp of new gen,which is at least 700-800 eur.

it's funny how 3070ti is selling cheaper than 3070 and 6800 here,even though by msrp it's the most expensive one.Frankly I can't see a better card if you wanted to buy a new one atm,in terms of value per dollar.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    anticupidon likes this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Not surprised at all, for the last 10 months cards have been selling in line with their mining profit. That's why 3070 and 3080 are so damn expensive.

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    Seeing the same thing in Germany,70Ti is at least 20 eur cheaper than 3070 for a better triple fan version,and 140eur cheaper than 6800.
    LHR is doing something at least,maybe Dr.Su would like to elaborate on where are amd's crypto-limited versions.

DannyD likes this.