ASRock Announces Windows 11 Compatible Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. novv

novv Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8GB GDDR5
    "ASRock announced that what motherboards will be compatible with for Microsoft's next OS, Windows 11..." - this doesn't sound right. "that" and "for" should be removed.
    But this pushing for Windows 11 transition is very interesting. TPM2.0 is 'great' but doing nothing to prevent ransomware or any other real security threat. If someone unauthorized have access to your computer then you have much bigger problems than missing a security chip. Also it is very interesting to find what happens if that security chip TPM2.0 goes faulty after 2 or 3 years of use. This is clearly not about security but how you can go to the next level of data mining. Just my opinion.

3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    almost all recent motherboards are compatible....compatible aka as a HEADER that require a separately buyable MODULE
    that you cannot buy and that half the brands don't even sell
    I saw Asus and Gigabyte who "supposedly" sold them at one point..but so little that they were insta-gone at the announcement, most countries never had any stock because there was no market/customers for them
    there's also at least 2-3 types of them, of course incompatible with each other

even Linus made a very confusing WAN show stream where he started by saying the same I do here and then went into the "boards are compatible" unwillingly repeating the lie that "your hardware will work" when it won't, very annoying...

reminds me of when I bought the 3090 for roughly 1600€ 1 day after the NA tariffs announcement and people called me crazy...now it's 3000€ I'm telling you...99% of computers won't be able to install win11 with a tpm 2.0 requirement, nothing else than laptops has it basically I checked a few entreprise desktops yesterday and none had the actual chip even on 13'000$ monsters
    secure boot is NOT tpm, cpus do not have tpm, you need an actual physical tpm module

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Heffro

Heffro Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    My ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/AC (4 year old mobo) supports TPM 2.0 and runs Windows 11 just fine.

I have an empty header on the board, but when I enable all this stuff in my BIOS it works. It's all there built in. The TPM.MSC tool in Windows 10 also comes back with "The TPM is ready for use" - "Manufacturer Version: 320.0 blah blah blah.

Maybe not all boards with the chipsets ASRock has listed here do, I dunno, but I can vouch for this particular board.

But yeah, I strongly agree that Microsoft suddenly requiring all of this for their Win 11 is complete horse-sh$T (that's a huge understatement) and IS going to cause a lot of problems and confusion.

...and no I'm not posting this to rub it in anyone's face... this is genuinely FYI here.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

yeah, TPM was an enterprise solution that works well. there are several TPM modules on the market for server boards and forward looking consumer mobo's have headers, but no available modules for their socket.
    but as most people aren't to-ing and fro-ing with sensitive proprietary data, TPM is a waste of time in the consumer field and basically offers psychological coverage for Intel's exploitable cpu's.
    none of which helps if you get ransomware

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    AMD Cpus most definitely have AMD CPU fTPM and run Windows 11 fine.

7. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    As do Intel CPUs going back about as far. MS started mandating compatibility in 2012, so pretty much all modern PCs should have a TPM socket/pin header.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    But to clarify: you do not need a module for Ryzen processors, they have a firmware solution driven by the CPU (fTPM).

tunejunky likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Gigabyte are about to release a new line of X570 motherboards. No doubt they'll have "Windows 11 ready" sticker slapped all over their boxes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    tunejunky likes this.
  10. eTheBlack

eTheBlack Active Member

GPU:
    GigaByte R9 280X W3X OC
    Intel has PTT

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    GOT TPM?

Undying likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah my Motherboard support the TPM requirement my cpu is not support by os though or so MS was to tell us

13. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Correct, the CPU compatibility and the TPM requirements are separate. Chances are they will expand the CPU list before the OS releases, the current list is the ones they have certified so far. Given the 100% overlap between CPUs with hardware changes to fix Spectre/Meltdown and the CPUs that are compatible with Win11, though, I would not hold my breath.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I have a 5950X with a asrock x570 taichi, but i don't know if i am going to really upgrade to windows 11 right away when windows 10 will be supported till 2025.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A properly setup bitlocker with a tpm, means that your files should be fine. Companies have been using TPMs for years, and what most people have is a software TPM that the CPU exposes as a virtual device, nothing happens to it.

16. djinxx

djinxx Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x / 4GB