Microsoft warns about new vulnerability "PrintNightmare"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Assumption is the mother of all f-ups. Proven again and again. When will people learn.

3. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I am on Win 10, I only have "Allow Print Spooler to accept client connections" so have disabled that instead.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You can disable publishing it as well

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

its disabled by default, unless you're sharing a wired printer amongst your local network.

This exploit requires the installation of a compromised printer driver in the first place, it cannot be exploited simply by having client connections available. (or other trojan exploit)

If your print domain is already infected, this exploit allows clients to be easily infected since the infected driver will be added to the print server store, clients could pull it down by clicking on or trying to print to it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    ImmortalicBrad likes this.
  6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think is more MS that should be speedier in fixin or disabling the policy with an update if they know the research came from an external lab

7. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Its "Print Spooler" on 7.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    How has MS not figured out yet that the reason their OS has always been plagued with security issues is because they keep opening up access to everything?

9. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    My understanding is that end users who have patched via WIndows Update in June are already protected/mitigated from this. The current issue is with businesses running Active Directory and so that will be patched soon. Meanwhile, there are mitigation workarounds to address this for business IT admins.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    printer spool service? i have had that "manual" for decades i only turn it on when I actual need to print something, and I almost never do that. which manybe 3 times year? if that and i turn right off after doing so. I knew there was reason why I turn off printer spool

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    another printer/spooler thing exploit wasn't that already a problem like 10 years ago (quick search found me 2010-2012-2013 already...)
    edit: thx tsunami completely forgot to do it when I installed my current pc from scratch

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I also have no use for printing services and have always disabled Printer Spool from way back as well as the other 2 printer services in Win10.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they aren't, because of a still ongoing microsoft habbit of adding authenticated users to domain services.

14. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Thank you. I hate when a vulnerability is just blurted out without any background or explanation from the very basic. It should include the extent of the vulnerabilities including vectors along with solutions or work arounds.