Microsoft: why TPM chips are required for Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it'll be doable

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Of all the gurus in the forum, you seem to have the biggest crystal ball.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

its one kernel base for all, tpm will never be an operational blocker for windows 11.
    just an installer one designed to gain microsoft money for oem sales.

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    what a pile of bullshit by Nadella. A thing is requirements for OEMs and enterprise, another is for personal use upgrade.
    sure. Still doesn't make sense for non-OEM/enterprise reserved ISOs to force-check hardare and CPUID beside kernel requirements. People upgrading systems, at least those use laptops for web-browsing and average use or gaming PCs don't care at all using bitlocker, alternative non-password authentification, azure/365 tokens etc.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021

5. seth

seth New Member

GPU:
    R9 270X 4GB
    NO ONE will upgrade his hardware just for a useless upgrade (When i say upgrade its not the TPM module only).
    Just stay on windows 10.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeap, I misunderstood :)
    I have heard this for:
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Windows 11
    I don't know if you mean to stay on Windows 10 until 2025, but there are people still running Windows 7, and anti-vaxxing is also a thing, so there is that.

carnivore, sykozis and Mineria like this.
  7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    There are ways to get extended Windows 7 support, so its not that weird, yet. Graphics cards dropping 7 support is actually happening before the end of extended 7 support.

People doing expensive things to jump to 11 is up against people just dropping insanely inflated coin on their upgrades. I believe that 11 adoption will be slow and driven primarily by OEM systems dropping next year.

Direct storage will have to be pretty magical to get gamers to upgrade. I've got it installed on my test systems and the UI is a little annoying, feels less flexible and more "just use it the way know is best". Its not as bad as 8 but there is a similar feeling of too much force being used.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I am not saying that people should do expensive things to go to Windows 11, but the 2025 general deadline for Windows 10 makes absolute sense and shouldn't create problems. There is also the clickbait press who cannot wait to blame "scalpers" for things. I think that Windows 11 is setting a baseline for a lot of things in their kernel, which they cannot wait to drop support for. Even Linux did it with the split from 2.4 at a point.

9. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Not sure how trying to scare home users with statistics about companies is relevant.

People shouldn't fret about tpm, if you are tech savvy enough to be be in this discussion, you are tech savvy enough to find yourself an install with this requirement removed.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Opportunistic human fecal matter is a more appropriate term for "scalpers" who have bought up all the 19 dollar and 30 dollar tpm units and are now selling them for many hundreds of dollars, the highest I've seen so far being just over 500 dollars........... for a 19 dollar part.

carnivore, AsiJu and Keitosha like this.

11. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Good idea as long as it will keep and protect "encrypted keys, user credentials and other confidential data" from Microsoft's data collection services as well.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. novv

novv Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8GB GDDR5
    This is from Wikipedia, about TPM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module
    Excerpt:
    "TCG has faced resistance to the deployment of this technology in some areas, where some authors see possible uses not specifically related to Trusted Computing, which may raise privacy concerns. The concerns include the abuse of remote validation of software (where the manufacturer‍—‌and not the user who owns the computer system‍—‌decides what software is allowed to run) and possible ways to follow actions taken by the user being recorded in a database, in a manner that is completely undetectable to the user.

The TrueCrypt disk encryption utility, do not support TPM. The original TrueCrypt developers were of the opinion that the exclusive purpose of the TPM is "to protect against attacks that require the attacker to have administrator privileges, or physical access to the computer". The attacker who has physical or administrative access to a computer can circumvent TPM, e.g., by installing a hardware keystroke logger, by resetting TPM, or by capturing memory contents and retrieving TPM-issued keys. As such, the condemning text goes so far as to claim that TPM is entirely redundant."

Well, now you do understand that absolutely nothing it's free in this world. For some 'new' features you'll give full access to everything you do on a daily basis and that, of course, fully secured and identifiable. So think about twice when you press that upgrade button.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it won't :D

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You don't need an actual TPM chip. If your motherboard supports fTPM that meets the requirement as well. My Asus B550-F passes the MS Windows 11 checker with fTPM flipped on.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  15. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seem kinda weird to argument for regular users to get TPM while referring to data regarding attacks on companies. Most users don't care for it and aren't vulnerable to some outside attacks. They are far more susceptible to regular phishing.

16. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Well, vast majority of users ignored Windows 2000, Vista, and 8.x, while Windows XP, 7, and Windows 10 (in recent versions) turned out to be far more popular. I sincerely hope Windows 11 would not follow that superficial 'even/odd version' pattern, but unfortunately, so far it's shaping itself to repeat the Windows Vista and Windows 8 debacles...

This could have been the dialogue between Winsows 11 and macOS 11:

"- This time, I cannot fail! [*THAWK*]
    [grumbles] Rakes... my old arch-enemy.
    - I thought I was your arch-enemy..."

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Man i'd really like to see the scalpers get done over one of these days. I saw a Gigabyte mobo fTPM 2.0 module and it was £13. Not anymore though but i hope this is resolved and scalpers get stuck with hundreds of these chips. I know it might be illegal but some company needs to stitch the scalpers up. Give them some false infomation about some false shortages of certain product and then watch them get burnt.

Keitosha and anticupidon like this.
  18. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Bold added by me)

I get what u are trying to say but I have to disagree with such comparison for 2 really big reasons.

First, unlike with human illnesses/vaccines where people that choses not to be vaccinated put people that can't be vaccinated at risk, when it comes to computers, u can almost fully protect yourself from external attacks no matter what your neighbors do. (Ofc a company/office should be treated as a single entity with consistent security measures in all their equipment.) The sole exception is DDOS attacks but there are ways to protect against that too. (And a DoS attack won't let 'em steal your data or anything else unless your system is really broken to begin with)

Second, when it comes to vaccines, even if there are some questionable (as a minimum) "doctors/scientists" that might present some crazy arguments against vaccination, the scientific/medic community as a whole not only recommends vaccination but also stablish clinic trials, quality controls, known standards and security measures.
    Otoh, "security" requirements like this one (not all of them ofc), usually come from 1 or 2 companies without a robust enough scientific community support. Heck, sometimes even without a sound argument at all.

If suddenly some big drug corporation tried to forcefully inject me with something they claim to be a vaccine, without support from the whole medic community and government approval, I'd ran away.... really.... fast....

wouldn't u run too?

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont want to encrypt my drive.... there is not much point for normal personal to do this for business sure.

Dont my mater my 6700k pass the TPM requirment so long PTT is on but what ever the other CPU requirements are it fails.

I would not buying a module to install windows 11 and have zero interest in rebuild and new pc cause of it prices currently have gona stupid

Gona see if @Astyanax is correct and all this "requirements" that arnt "hard requirements" are removed

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  20. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    The real question here is "Does Windows 11 require TPM to function as an OS".
    And the answer to that seems to be no.
    So you are being forced to have something you don't really want if you want W11. This will sounds familiar to anyone looking to purchase a new GPU recently.

itpro likes this.