Microsoft announced Windows 11!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by 386SX, Jun 26, 2021.

1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    https://www.heise.de/news/Windows-11-kommt-Microsoft-stellt-Windows-10-Nachfolger-vor-6117784.html

Sorry to post a German link.
    Microsoft seems to release Windows 11 in Q4 this year. Teams will be integrated and the MS Store will be extended with a lot of apps.
    Widgets will be back and I read about some Android emulator which will be included, together with apps, sponsored by Amazon.
    Upgrade to Win11 will be free of charge ...

So Win11 is Win, *nix and Droid all together.

What do you guys think about the upcoming Win11 release?

Edit: more links:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
    https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-release-date

2. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    It's a mixed bag..

TPM restrictions are needless imo for majority, yeh businesses will use it but the average home user / gamer will likely not use the functions that require the module.
    (Newer platforms with an Intel or AMD alternative should bypass the checks - remains to be seen if the dll method or placing the wim/esd into a Win10 iso would still work on rtm Win11)

Maybe they plan for Windows to finally become a service in the future and this is the real reason for the tpm push, so they can ensure control of the os?

Widgets are back, but only if you sign-in with an MS account.
    Android apps is nice, and ability to sideload, but not sure with the whole Amazon thing..
    UX is fresher and cleaner, die hards can put the start menu back to the left if needed, but afaik taskbar is locked at the bottom and this will upset those who have a preference for other locations.
    Teams is obvious, they are already decommissioning Skype for Business at the end of July - normal Skype will eventually follow.
    Direct Storage could be pretty nice, but looks like it needs to have a 1tb nvme drive to work on windows whereas it doesn't have that for xbox.

Is it much more than current Windows 10 and does it have huge improvements over it, that remains to be seen with what they bring in the insiders and if it all works as they tried to sell it as in the event.

I'm more interested to see what will come for LTSC, if that will still be based on Win10 or if they will switch it up to Win11.

386SX likes this.
  3. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You know what just hit me?

We will have the exact same talk about the expiring OS and how good it is / was and how <insert any bad word> the new Windows will be / is.

Same like moving away from 2k, XP, 7, ...

The new OS war ...
    The new OS war never changes. :p

Here some bullshit bingo phrases to look for: no privacy, telemetry, spyware, old OS is better, old OS performs the same or even better, my 3dmark score went down, it crashed while / after installing so I reverted back and therefore it's crap, Bill Gates will implant a microchip into all of us, ....

Did I miss something? :D

The1, dr_rus, Trixster and 1 other person like this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm looking forward to Win11.... The UI changes are nice to see. Hopefully they stick around this time.

The only part that concerns me is the potential for forced upgrades. If a user wants to stick with Win10, they should be able to whether the upgrade is free or not.

The hatred of change simply because it's change is ignorant.....

386SX likes this.

5. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    I think with this one the telemetry could be a valid point, I believe that a lot of it will be coded into the OS and as such harder to stop/remove. But that said, the amount of info about ourselves (for like 99.9% of us) that is out on the web or with some third party data collection companies and the likes basically means why bother trying to stop the OS.

There should just be a simple switch, collect data or don't collect data and when don't is selected then it really means nothing - that would appease the paranoid and those who don't want to be passing info out needlessly.

6. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    This is like saying you came from an abusive family where your dad hit you, so why bother trying to stop your partner hitting you.
    At some point you have to say no more.

I do not mean the reference personally to you.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Lol, that is a very unique comparison.
    I think that someone's data being harvested is less severe than suffering abuse - but I know what you mean.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    He does have a point though. People already allow Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, etc, etc, etc to collect data and mostly without any complaints. Why do they treat Microsoft any differently? If you don't have a problem with Google or Facebook collecting information on you, there's no reason to have an issue with Microsoft collecting data on you. Consider what Facebook has done with your personal information so far....and how much they've lied about it.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will never understand why people complain about MS doing this with windows, special with all the compaines you mention are doing it but they dont complain about, I mean the dont even complain about all the cell phone calls and info going in and out of it being monitored too. it like people know there no such thing as privacy in online world but the selective choose when to believe it and or accept it is happening.

Atlest if you dont have mic or camera attached to "windows" system it cant remotely be viewing or listing in on you. like all the SMARTS PHONES can do and you will never be wiser.

386SX likes this.
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Like a co-worker and I having a conversation about several products a couple years ago, which I had never searched for on my phone or PC, that suddenly started showing up in ads on Facebook and Amazon? If you don't think your phone is being used to spy on you, you are completely clueless..... The reason that smartphones have the functionality that they do, is because you're being spied on.... Smartphones were around for YEARS before the iphone was launched. A smartphone is little more than a PDA.... The reason they gained so much functionality so quickly is because companies like Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Microsoft, etc....all figured out that they could be used to spy on consumers.

386SX and The1 like this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hence my point Smart phones that everyone has in the pockets are far worse. I mean they can track location with your smart phone so long as it has functional battery. but there there almost no complains about the smart phones cause like internet people can't live with out the smart phone.

I still find it spooky how google know what I "searching" for before I even done finish type what i searching for and I do most my search on computer that DONT have mic or camera.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder if when Windows 11 releases, if it will lead to an influx of pc parts being sold second hand... and prices to come down for video cards.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows 11 won't have any direct affect on graphics card pricing. There will be an increase of used pc parts being sold though as people build new systems to meet the hardware requirements.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you mention something around your phone, Google knows.....

386SX likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    googles knows via iphone seeing I will never touch android. and iphone and ipad only thing i own that "has" camera and mic.

Like said I will never understand this MS and window and spying "me" the phone everyone has is doing far worse.

I am under no delusion that there is no such thing as privacy anymore not with everything connected to internet, just the illusion of it. it can all be intercepted and or hacked or used against you

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    First screenshot is of PCCaseGear, it was gone the moment Windows 11 was announcement, same for all other brands, not just asus, the other image is of eBay today... lots of them from the UK.

These things were like nothing chips, no one was interested in them, hardly anyone bought them.... now it's like some sort of freaking rare thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  17. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    It does make me sad seeing that, but then I laugh too at the madness of man in this day and age.
    Win11 won't properly be out on rtm till October'ish, only releases coming out till then will be via Insiders (and various leaked iso from said insiders) so there isn't a huge need to start panic buying modules.
    • Insiders I imagine know that the check can be circumvented in several different ways, well within their means to do.
    • Turning on Intel PTT and the AMD equivalent makes the OS check pass.
    • MS have flip-flopped on the specs so far, once it was tpm2 then it was soft floor tpm1.2 and hard floor tpm2, then it went back to tpm2 - if this isn't a precursor to WIndows as a service then they will likely change things because they won't want to lose out on adoption of Win11 if people will boycott due to the tpm module.
    • October is several months away, new mobo's may start shipping with the modules in place - but again, if Intel PTT / AMD one still pass the OS checks then what is the need to place a module and just have a header instead.
    I don't get the sudden rush to buy a module, or this is the super scalper bots in action that some shite just set to buy all the modules after the event day :(

I seem to recall MS trying something like this back with Win8/8.1 was releasing, wanting to force the tpm, but then there was the backlash on that - then again, there was a backlash over 8 in general lol D

18. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    If you know how telemetry is collected you can disable it usually. There are a lot of tools out there to remove or disable telemetry, so postponing the latest security updates because of that is not worth it. But that is just my position and you may disagree.

This is true, they listen in definitely through your phone!
    I cannot find the articles right now, but about 1 or 2 years ago this got posted almost everywhere.

@tsunami231:
    And you cannot disable Google's or FB's sniffing in registry. ;)

Anyway, I dont wanted to start a flame war about privacy, but mention Windows 11 is on its way.

Have a nice Sunday! ;)

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MSI is still showing stock.....but their listing says that their module is only compatible with Intel 400 and 500 series chipset boards....

If you have one of those "smart speakers", they listen through those as well. They even monitor temperature changes in your home if you have a "smart thermostat"..... These "smart" devices, are just more ways to collect data on you.

386SX likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yep expected nothing good is gona come of this