Microsoft will announce Windows 11 today, you can watch the announcement here

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    considering that most NVME driver sold are 1TB or less... Wise move.

Eripsa likes this.
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I bet at the end it will run without tpm and uefi.. of course no-uefi means no direct storage. I don't know what the hell TPM had to do with direct storage. outside driver encryption (which may used by bitlocker) there is no real benefit on having tpm enabled.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GPT partition is fine, since it comes with a double master table, but ouside that.. not a real benefit... but if you want big booting hard driver, you need it, so that's not an issue at all anyway.
    But what outside software media decoders, what benefits brings SSE4.1 support? Also Direct Storage is not needed at all to be supported to run the OS, so that has nothing to do about minimum requirements. Some older AMD processor (Barcelona) do not support SSE4.1, but only SSE4.0a

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It could be that this is about Windows offering strong DRM to game publishers. And software publishers in general.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nobody cares about encrypting assets. you can extract them with a graphics debugging tool.

Drive encryption is not blackboxing.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    apparently TPM is leveraged as a system level entropy and indirectly used in TLS and other system encryption mechanisms.

7. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Microsoft Announces Windows 11, available this spring and for free for Windows 10 users

this Spring ? try this Fall

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What part of the world will be spring and what part of the world will be fall.

:J

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    except you don't need it. tpm will not male TLS better at all. it is probably used to additional crap by defender IIRC but nothing that the CPU cannot already do. but most usages are disc encryptions, passwords and azure/365 crap token that common user does not care at all and you can do it without it.

10. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Well, you can install NVMe SSD disk to any system with a free PCIe slot using a cheap M.2 to PCIe adapter. You can even boot Windows 10 from an NVMe disk on old BIOS systems - if you boot to an UEFI emulator on an USB disk, which includes an open-source NVMe driver. I still have a few LGA1156 (Core i3/i5/i7 / Intel P55/H55) systems upgraded with NVMe system disk, and I tested it to work down to LGA 775 (Core 2 Quad / Intel P45).

There are PCIe x1 LPC raiser cards which can host TPM LPC modules.

Unfortunately, UEFI emulators do not support Secure Boot, so it's not certain they could be made to work with Windows 11.

Also some early UEFI systems did not have a built-in NVMe driver to support booting from NVMe disks, so you'd need to hack the firmware to include an open-source NVMe driver.

Well, desktop Sandy Bridge / Silvermont and Bulldozer / Jaguar systems should work, with some additional effort to upgrade to a D3D12 video card. That's fine by me, considering they are nearly 10 years old now - AND, you can still install an NVMe SSD disk in these systems, which gives you some significant usabilily improvements and DirectStorage support.

Cheap notebooks released before 2017 and desktops released before 2011 are probably not going to cut it - you can probably install Windows 11 on these systems with some effort, but important components will not work and the OS may fail in spectacular ways, just like it happens with macOS /OS X hacks for older Intel systems...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    itpro likes this.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    except we don't need WDDM 2.0 to run another desktop. wddm 1.x works fine. not all people needs direct3d12 gaming features on all their systems.

12. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Even if end users don't care about software piracy and data theft, Microsoft does.

There are also password-less authentification services which require you to provide physical-based authentification in the form of face and fingerprint scanning.

https://www.neowin.net/news/some-thoughts-on-microsofts-requirement-for-a-tpm-module-in-windows-11/
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-details-how-security-is-at-the-forefront-with-windows-11/

TPM 2.0 is also required for device encryption and anti-tampering tracking (DRTM) in the 'Secured-core PC' suite of protocols.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...em-highly-secure#what-makes-a-secured-core-pc
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../tpm-recommendations#tpm-and-windows-features

Yep - I thought 'Secured-core PC' also includes TSME system memory encryption, like on the current gaming consoles, but looks like the latter is only available in recent AMD EPYC procesors so far...

https://www.platformsecuritysummit.com/2019/speaker/chen/
    https://community.amd.com/t5/amd-business-blog/amd-and-microsoft-secured-core-pc/ba-p/418204

GUID Partition Table is a little bit more resilient, and you can explicitly set partition type (EFI, MSR, Recovery, data etc) and attributes (hidden, read-only, no drive letter, etc). And of course there is no 2 TB size limit and there can be 128 partitions on the disk - I find it very useful for making temporary clone copies of my SSDs on a large multi-TB hard disk.

Who knows, maybe they need it for video conferencing features, since the Teams app is now part of the OS?

Kernel-mode part of WDDM 2.0 (DXGK) is about GPU memory management and work scheduling. Direct3D 12 driver is a user-mode component of WDDM 2.0.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Maybe we'll see this:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5283799

"To improve the security of DRM solutions the paper proposes a secure DRM architecture based on TPM which is called TBDRM. It ensures that content is always under the control of the license and such license is secure and fresh during its lifecycle. Compared with other DRM solutions, TBDRM can prevent replay attack and improper access enforced through cracked software."

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

absolutely.
    if you have a server board you could just buy Supermicro's AOM-TPM-9665VS for $50

" Vertical TXT: Server Motherboard Platform: Intel, AMD Supported CPUs: Intel Xeon E5/E7, AMD EPYC 7000 Series Supported Platforms: Supermicro motherboards with 20-pin TPM connectors Dimensions (WxLxH): 8. 0 x 26. 0 x 25. 0 mm (Vertical Design) RoHS Compliant"

but while there are one or two (that i know of) that would work for enthusiast boards, it's dependent on the mobo itself offering the socket. many do but are found more commonly on the business boards.

if your computer can do "windows hello" with fingerprint sensor or camera you most likely can do the upgrade. and it may be possible by just adding biometric/camera add-ons from Win10

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    This Spring for Windows Insiders.

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    But is it breaking with the past in some way, or whatever was supported on win10 from the old stuff, will still run?