Microsoft will announce Windows 11 today, you can watch the announcement here

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    so the only GUI element they have been ASKED since Windows Vista came out was about redesign and uptate the Control Panel.. but it is still there :|

2. imnahole

imnahole Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060
    article forgot to mention that you will also have to download and run a 13.5mb PC Health Check app so microsoft can gather all the current information on your windows 10 pc. so a good cleaning might be in order before hand. and, windows 10 will be supported until october 2025, just in case you do like i do and wait for the complaints to roll in.

3. imnahole

imnahole Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2060
    article forgot to mention that you will also have to download and run a 13.5mb PC Health Check app so microsoft can gather all the current information on your windows 10 pc. so a good cleaning might be in order before hand. and, windows 10 will be supported until october 2025, just in case you do like i do and wait for the complaints to roll in. i too look forward to lots of things, however since 1995, i have come to be a bit apprehensive when it comes to windows.

4. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    This is funny.I downloaded the pc health check and it tells me my 6 month old computer isnt compatable with windows 11.And I have it running on another drive.lol

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well, since VB graphics acceleration is WDDM 1.0 FL 9_1, 9_2 and 9_3 with 256 (emulated) VRAM only, also WDDM 2.0 and dx12 gpu 4GB VBRAM requirements can be considered OEM only.
    I did a clean instal and I setup the machine by choice to not meat any of the basic requirements. and it worked. this is just end 2021 windows 10 major update with a even more crippled gui (what the hell is wrong with people wanting just a list in menu and moving or resizing taskbar? procreating gui designers of my ass) and a "different" name number.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Looks awful. Too much like a mobile device with apps and other GUI crap. The first thing I do with a new version of Windows is give it the classic XP (minus Aero) look. I only need my Windows to be functional.

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't ask a gazillion of gui settings. I just want a clean start menu with installed program list and move, resize the damn task bar where and how much I want. Also contextual menu of 1 voice (taskbar settings) is a joke. The rest is all the same, those requirements are for OEM system resellers ONLY. WDDM 1.x works fine. Os installed will require more or less 18-22GB for pro edition (depending on paging file size), not 64. 4GB although highly recommended (we all know the modern damn browsers needs more ram than most of games) isn't a minimum at all, like the CPU requirements. TPM is not forced as is not UEFI.... all this if you are not an OEM system device reseller.

8. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    For Ryzen owners you got to enable fTPM 2.0, SVM and Secure Boot in order to use Windows 11.

Attached Files:

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SVM is required to run 64-bit guests in VB, not to install on host. SVM like fTPM is disabled by default on all motherboards. And you don't expose SVM inside the GUEST virtual machine.

NvidiaFreak650 likes this.
  10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    anyway... I bet before 11 will be really out a lot of requirements and hassle about them will be solved. Also TPM without disk encryption and BIOS non-resettable password.. is pretty useless. The only thing to check is about CPU support (officially they rise from SSE2 to SSE4.1 for x86 CPUs).

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Microsoft should a have Spinal Tap/Windows 11 promotion.

Airbud likes this.
  12. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    This will not be a free upgrade for A LOT of people.

13. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    SVM is not needed. I have it off and the capability checker cleared my PC.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Could you explain please.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

TPM lots main board support it from what i gather ? but not alot actual have module? at lest from what i gather, I just know my PC don't support win 11 I would have to buy said module to get to work ? which i wont do

and Disable CSM and Enable the TPP or ot PTT i cant be bother to look back in topic. Which i wont disable CSM cause that cause me issue with my bios post and bios menus being shown only on my TV I would have to disconnect it to see that stuff on monitor. seeing look at bios post to make sure nothing stupid happens, seeing this board has issue post, Which i hope was just ram cause after I rma the ram issues went away. and even when I didnt have the post issue I want to see my post on my monitor not my TV which only use when i game.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I guess microsoft aren't planning to force it down peoples throat repeatedly forever this time around.

17. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Minimum hardware requirements are not enforced when running under virtual machine.

Yes, UEFI Secure Boot (with GPT disk partitions) was a requirement for new OEM PCs since at least Windows 8.x in 2013.

But this time it seems like retail Windows 10 images will actually come in 64-bit x64 edition only, and Windows Setup would enforce the UEFI requirement, while 32-bit editions and MBR boot would be reserved to embedded OEM systems on a special request from Microsoft.

Even if users would learn how to hack retail OS images with ADK tools, MBR boot can be removed from the OS at any point now that it's officially unsupported, just like many other features that were deprecated and removed with each successive Windows 10 version update.

SSE 4.1 is supported by just about every x64 CPU that was released with official UEFI firmware (Sandy Bridge / Silvermont and Bulldozer / Jaguar); and Nehalem can support UEFI boot with the DUET/REFIND emulator, or Clover / OpenCore 'hackintosh' emulators, though they currently do not support Secure Boot.

Any platform older than the above would be unable to support NVMe boot and DirectStorage.

There's a chance TPM 2.0 requirement may have something to do with DirectStorage... hopefully this will be clarified in the coming months.

AFAIK there is no such ban in Russia and TPM modules are freely available for purchase.

Some government services do require domestic cypher codes, but you can still use SHA-256 keys where you need it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Why would directstorage need an TPM encrypting module?

19. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
  20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Told me the same until I enabled PTT/TPM in my bios, pretty annoying.