NVIDIA GeForce 471.11 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2021.

1. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    I’ve never played with the sharpening settings, what settings do people use, enable it and keep defaults or increase it a few points?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Default is too high. For 1080p->1440p upscaling, I use 36% (with default 17% ignore film grain.) Leaving it at 50% results in a severely over-sharpened image. 36% gives the same subjective sharpness as native resolution (meaning it looks very close to how it would look like on a 1080p monitor.)

For 900p->1440p, about 40% looks good.

50% is useful for 720p->1440p. This also depends on your GPU though. I'm on a 980 Ti which uses bilinear upscaling. Turing and Ampere use a sharper GPU upscaler I believe, so you probably need somewhat lower sharpening amounts there.

It's easy to find the correct value though. Just take a native res screenshot without sharpening and open it fullscreen in an image viewer, then enable sharpening and change the game to 1080p or whatever your target is, and then alt+tab between game and screenshot and compare their sharpness. You'll quickly find the perfect sharpening amount that way.

3. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    For native 1080P I either leave it at zero (sharpening still works at zero if it's enabled) or use a very small amount like 5%.
    For upscaling 720P to 1080P somewhere between 25-50%.
    Everything varies from game to game of course, like depending on the antialiasing used and such. This is for normal sharpening, haven't tried new Sharpening+ that was added in the recent GFE update.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    In my experience it doesn't. At least on my GPU. The bilinear upscaler does the same "damage" to the source image regardless of game, and so it's always 36% that looks closest to native sharpness in all games.

Unless you meant counteracting things like TAA blur in games. Then yes, that varies. The baseline sharpen amount however does not.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is due to throttlestop.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you both rebooted after finishing the update right, theres been a couple of similar reports that were resolved with doing that.

on my w10 system, i have to switch it from optimal to adaptive so that a few games i use dsr@4k on a 1060 perform properly.

They otherwise fail to promote to full clocks properly (and 1000mhz is not enough on a 1060 to run sonic racing transformed or castle of illusion at 4k very well XD)

SRT
    Optimal
    [​IMG]

Adaptive
    [​IMG]

these screenshots are old, was still using the x5670 but behavior remains the same with the 1680v2

tty8k likes this.
  7. mikolaj612

mikolaj612 Member

GPU:
    RTX2060
    May I know how this is related to each other?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am confused by what you by 1080--> 1440p upscaling? are using DSR in with image sharping? or does image sharping some make 1080p 1440p?

DSR useless to as trying get to do 1440 threw 1.78 or really any multiple of it makes desktop and text ridiculously blurry

I assuming DSR is only usfull in actual games, but that in games make there text look blurry, sooner or later I need to actual get 1440p monitor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    throttlestop is reading the sensors of the nvidia gpu keeping it from disconnecting from the bus and entering low power state.

HoWxCoRe and mikolaj612 like this.
  10. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Yeah, I mean various forms of AA and whatnot. Also second part only applies to Freestyle, Control Panel sharpening effect varies depending on the game renderer (DX9, DX11, Vulkan).

11. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super

Yes I did mean this one and as in the reddit thread linked by the other gentlemen it sounds good and hopefully there is a way to extract and use this with control panel or reshade. Thanks guys

12. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    Back to the same glitch of defocusing HDR content when clicking on side monitor window.
    Not really sure what I can do as it happens on every new driver since the disconnect "hotfix" which doesnt even work in itself

edit: just as i typed this i thought it seemed as though the MPC player wasnt on top over the browser window. So in MPC i put always on top whilst playing video. Fixed it.

13. Granacks

Granacks Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 TI EX 8GB
    Have you disabled the MPO? For me it was very uncomfortable to use my PC in recent months and it was the MPO that made things strange here, it was a sensation of skipping frames in the image displayed on my monitor (I can't explain it in another way, but it was uncomfortable), forcing Global v-sync and maximum performance was a way I had found to alleviate the issue before disabling the MPO which was the solution.

14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Gonna give these a go, currently on latest dev driver which i've become a fan of, tho i bet a new dev driver will release tomorrow.:D

edit
    Waw a lot better than driver i had before.
    desktop looks and feels great.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Reinstalled the driver three times actually.
    But I haven't compared it to the previous version, only to my benchmarks from early May. So it may not be the driver issue. Just saying that I see performance regression in two titles, at about -10 to -15%.

16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Interesting that the June Studio Driver is 471.11 as well.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just finished a set of benchmarks with ffxiv / 3dmark / , its within the margin of error for changes here, could be application/architecture specific, or a common tool misbehaving on the new driver.

18. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Whoops, turn off Nvidia GPU under Miscellaneous settings and it seems to have fixed it. Strange that this worked fine in the previous drivers. Thanks :)

@ManuelG apologies about the confusion

19. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Drivers DVD movie size

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I have a 1440p dispay. I play some modern games at 1080p because i want high FPS and my GPU is not very powerful. When upscaling 1080p to 1440p, you get blur. You can mitigate the blur with sharpening to make the 1080p->1440p upscale look more like native 1080p.