LG rolls out Dolby Vision 120Hz update for 2021 OLED TVs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    nick0323, Maddness and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Yes! I own the C9 and CX. Many of us were concerned that LG would leave 2019 and 2020 televisions behind. The C9 and CX are more than capable of handling this enhanced feature. The rumor is that the older models will see this around July or August.

The July and August dates are indeed rumors. I am concerned about the C9. What's sad is that the C9 has hardware features that the later models don't have. Many argue they're useless but hey, 48gb HDMI 2.1 ports and DTSX is still cool to have. I wish it had some usefulness though. Lol!

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    DTS is great especially if you have an HTPC attached directly to the TV, and send the audio back to a good soundbar/AVR via eARC.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    You are absolutely right. I'm still a Blu-Ray guy. In my opinion DTS is more articulate but Dolby Atmos is more immersive. I'm not an Audiophile but am I wrong here?

PrMinisterGR likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    In my opinion, both dolby atmos ( the core encoding even without the tons of speakers ) and DTS-HD-master-audio are way better than the standard dolby and dts as sound quality and bitrate. my impression is that they are comparable as quality, the difference is done by the people that create the soundtrack.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Sweet, I ordered a 48" C1 OLED last week. Wish it would hurry up and get here :p

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Have you tried Dolby Vision ? another feature for people who don't care about image quality, rather than the opposite as you would think.
    What DV does is force colors brightness and contrats they "think" is better for the content, if you try to tweak your tv settings DV forces the opposite completely destroying the picture, in a way you normally can't even do.
    Yet another marketing crap invented to sell new TVs and monitors.

Even tough I've got 60 4K HDR DV blurays I've never watched one with DV active it just looks worse than manual settings (edit : maybe less than 60 but a lot...)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Brasky likes this.
  8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I know on my LG 2018/19 it makes the Mandolorian look odd, and there are large black vertical bars on the screen during the dark/black sections of the show. it's very noticeable. Maybe it's user error, but i don't get the bars without Dolby Vision.

9. samir72

samir72 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti
    And yet, they still haven't update the web browser in all the 2017 OLED models.

10. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    just googled, plenty of articles on this, apparently several disney releases are SDR in an HDR wrapper, so they get the HDR-10 and DV tags but aren't really

I'm not a fan of HDR in the 1st place (some skys go from blue to blinding white between the HD and 4k HDR versions) but I had no idea there were fake HDRs out there

Brasky likes this.

11. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    You're gonna love it. Have had our CX for a little over 6 months.

12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    BS things, useless gimmicks.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You're doing something wrong in your set up man. If it's really worse, either your TV isn't up to snuff, or you need a professional calibrator. On most new LGs it looks great out of the box, and usually much better than HDR10.
    No.

RavenMaster likes this.
  14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Yeah tons of content. DV plus 120hz. Still searching.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    meanwhile on monitor master race: brand new 1440p 144hz LCD! with fake HDR!

LG could end the monitor market with a CX32 but I guess burn in could nuke their factory or something

16. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    HDR is quite fine. We do not all seek HDR for contrast only but also brightness. Tons of monitors out there are brighter than any OLED. Each to their own. If only we could get Dolby Vision. We have the colors and the brightness, but not the absolute black of OLED. (And personally I do not care)

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Blooming, ghosting and actual pixel response times are the reason why there's nothing better than OLED at this moment.

itpro likes this.
  18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Colors are meh IMHO. Bland. OLED loses to IPS/VA on this aspect to my eyes. Unless I'm brain damaged. But I agree with you it has the ultimate speed on its operations and image accuracy.

19. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well you might want to get your eyes checked at least, because self emitting RGB pixels will beat backlit IPS/VA any day when it comes to colour accuracy and gamut.

RavenMaster likes this.
  20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You are one of those who live by specs. I won't buy this. I have all 4 types of screens. IPS>VA>OLED>TN for colors. Unless I am confused by a type of oversaturation I don't know.