AMD Product and OS Support changed with release of Drivers 12.6.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Truder, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    With the launch of drivers 12.6.1, AMD have moved GCN1, 2 and 3 based hardware into Legacy support with the last supported drivers for these being 12.5.2, AMD have also dropped support of Windows 7 meaning Windows 10 is now the only currently support OS.

So this means HD 7000, 8000, 200, 300, Fury and all APUs prior to Ryzen series have been moved to Legacy support.

Official AMD blog post here
    https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/...or-radeon-software-adrenalin-21-6/ba-p/477423

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-630

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...lder-graphics-cards-as-well-as-windows-7.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2021
    Havel, insp1re2600 and itpro like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its a real nvidia move or worse. They still support maxwell gpus. I can understand putting a tahiti and hawaii to legacy but why fiji? Fury X is still very capable card.

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Probably because Fury line didn't sell well, very few people still using them - even in the professional segment

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats a not an excuse specially in todays market when its all people have. AMD just wants you to buy a new card and i bet you are already thinking about it.

5. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Strange since GCN 3 is quite similar to Polaris, they even share the same instruction set. This could mean even Polaris' days are numbered.
    It's also why I'm waiting for a laptop processor with RDNA2 graphics. They should enjoy longer driver support than the current Vega-based ones.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Polaris and Vega are next in line. Its funny becouse of all their apus have vega igpus even today.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Tahiti, Hawaii & Granada based Radeon GPUs had a good life, no doubt, much better life compared to their NVidia competition backthen. Sad to see still (for 1080p gaming) very capable 290 / 390 cards left outside on the rain but guess it's time for AMD to finally drop support for GCN and move on. Maybe this AMD's move has a wrong timing with all these still quite high GPU prices but this move for sure wasn't planed since yesterday.

Not sure about Polaris cards, guess at least one more year, probably even 2 years of driver support. But AMD can't risk to drop Vega support in at least 2 more years period or else they're going to get crusified by community i.e. owners of Ryzen based laptops, Ryzen CPUs like 5600G, 5700G...

We'll see...

rafaelluik and Airbud like this.
  8. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Don't see a reason why not do drop support. It's the past and won't even get updated by microsoft itself anymore.

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I had forgotten that both GCN 1.1 and Fury X support feature level 12_0.
    I could understand if they decided to stop support for all GPUs below a certain feature level, that's what AMD did in the past, but it looks weird that they only stop support for some DX12 FL12_0 GPUs while maintaining the rest.

I know there are a couple of games requiring FL11_1 today, but are there any actually requiring 12?

rafaelluik likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There are few. AC Vallhalla and RE8 from what i know of. Btw GCN1 is only FL 11.1

This is what Ubisoft said about trying to run the game on R7 370 :

"Firstly, I'd like to reiterate that DirectX 12 is a minimum requirement for Assassin's Creed Valhalla - DirectX 11 and any previous DirectX versions are not supported. In addition to this, feature Level 12_0 support is required for compatible GPUs, and we specified this in our announcement / news article here. If your GPU supports DirectX 12, but does not have Feature Level 12_0 support, you will be unable to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla as your GPU does not meet the minimum requirements for the game. If you are unsure how to determine whether your GPU supports Feature Level 12_0, you can find this out by running a DXDIAG report, visiting the "Display 1" tab in the pop-up window and under "drivers", find the line "Feature Levels", which should list all supported Feature Levels. Please make sure that, if you're a laptop user, you're utilising your dedicated GPU and not your integrated one as well!"

rafaelluik likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    GPUs that are 4+ years old tend to not get any real updates regardless of being officially supported. I'd argue this situation hardly matters, though, this is bad timing. They should at least wait until GPU prices stabilize.
    You can also just switch to Linux and use the open-source drivers, where not only will these old models continue to be worked on, but even raytracing support is being experimented on.

Airbud likes this.
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    AMD needs to sell. Especially during pandemic and mining, new GPU sales are bad.

1) They will stop 2nd hand exchanging due to non existent driver support for all their older products.

2) They want to force people buy new gen GPUs. More people have fury/300/200/hd7000 series than RX 5000/6000.

3) AMD wants the gap between RX400/500/Vega VS rdna/rdna2 to close.

AMD isn't better than Nvidia, wake up gamers.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah. I have little interest in updating drivers these days because I expect zero difference. If a game has a problem with my card, it's a game bug, not a driver bug at this point. After all these years, there are no simple, fixable bugs left in the drivers for ancient cards. Of course there might still be some eternal bugs for multiple monitors and whatnot, but my setup is as simple as you can get.

schmidtbag likes this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    they already killed "vega" they put in intel's hades canyon

rafaelluik likes this.
  15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Newer drivers on old cards have introduced bugs too such as fan control

rafaelluik and Kaarme like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt that Intels responsibility to update drivers?

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    People act like ending support somehow makes things that already work, stop working.

The vast majority of driver development is centered around fixing bugs and adding support for new games and new hardware. The legacy support is entirely based on new drivers not breaking old games on old hardware, not updating accomplishes the same thing. If you play old games on old hardware you should not be updating graphics drivers anyway, anything that was going to get fixed got fixed years ago.

The only real impact is on people that for some reason want to play new games on ancient hardware, at low res, low detail and low frame rate. All 7 of you should probably upgrade to the new lowest supported GFX card.

MonstroMart likes this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    no idea i think the gpu part is vega

when has nvidia done that ?

god damn fury turns into a bigger fail every year
    weak launch,then short on vram then moved to legacy while 980ti is still doing just fine,even for 1440p if you reduce gpu-taxing detail like shadows and volumetric effects.

it's not a bad move
    it's a nvidia-style move
    and this is just following the current standard

you can't help people thinking like this,they're too far gone

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    No, they were responsible for taking AMD's drivers and modifying them.

First Intel got insanely lazy and just let people install the AMD drivers directly and then AMD got all pissy with the situation and intentionally broke compatibility by removing the device IDs from their driver packages.

You can either modify the .INF files or force install the drivers to bypass AMD's BS for now but allegedly Intel and AMD are working on a compromise to reestablish compatibility, I have very little faith that this will ever happen. You can read about this here on Intel's forum and see their official statements by moderators.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Inte...river-update-for-Radeon-RX-Vega-M/m-p/1273450

For the record, these Vega GPUs on Intel's NUC systems are still fully supported and are receiving updates and bug fixes for new games, AMD is just not letting you have official access. AMD cannot actually end support without ending support for their own Vega products so the lack of official support is both artificial and petty.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    rafaelluik, SamuelL421 and Undying like this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that is just the dickest move
    it's their gpu,isn't it ? they sold it. and now they're intentionally blocking updates ?
    wow,that is a lot.