AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution coming to 7 games at launch

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CPC_RedDawn, Jun 18, 2021.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Metro looked good with first iteration of DLSS

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yup,playable,on 6900xt oc tho
    you're getting 2/3rds of the benchmark under 60 though,imagine if fsr added even 10-15%
    on 6800/xt it would be make or break,since you'd be getting pretty much all the benchmark time in 40-50s

[​IMG]

yup
    thanks to GI and AO
    despite dlss 1.0 looking waaaack

3. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Will be interesting to see if the leaked list contains a valid game and developer support list. Apparently the leaked twitter source for the list was taken down.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    of course but even 3080/6900xt will struggle to hit a consistent 1440/60 without them so what gpu are you referring to exactly

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And, still using Metro Exodus Enhanced as example, do not use the absolute highest settings and you're good even now.

Running 1080p with Ultra quality and High raytracing, Hybrid reflections and I'm getting north of 100 fps most of the time (and when I don't there seems to be an optimization issue where GPU usage drops actually).

Hairworks and PhysX off because of course they are :)

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    turn them both on for the taiga bear fight tho
    you can toggle them back off after

pharma likes this.
  7. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    I remember that fight not giving me any trouble FPS wise, the bear took a lot to go down though (was on Ranger Hardcore).

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    One thing to also remember is that Unreal Engine 5 has its own built in temporal resolution upscaler which AMD worked with Epic to help them implement it into their engine so it is optimized for the RDNA2 GPUs in the Xbox and Playstation. Having a good implementation of FSR/TRS in Unity and Unreal Engine 5 is going to be very useful going forwards for the consoles so we are likely to see way more titles adopt FSR (or something very close to it) in the vast majority of games if/when AMD's FSR technology gets good enough to warrant it being used on the consoles. XBOX and Playstation have absolutely zero chance of running DLSS yet they will be running some sort of FSR / temporal resolution upscaler that is compatible their RDNA2 GPUs at some point. Yes, nVidia's DLSS is likely orders of magnitude better than AMD's FSR although AMD has the weight behind the two most dominant consoles behind it so there will be significant reason for triple A developers and big names like Microsoft and Sony to contribute to the development of AMD's FSR technology once the source code is out. This means we will likely see it improve at a faster rate than DLSS has and the adoption rate should also be much quicker than DLSS as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of DLSS as I have used it enough to know that it is AMAZING although I bet on team red this gen for a reason. Let's hope this all pans out well for everyone and the only way for that to happen is for FSR to really take off as DLSS is locked behind two generations of GPUs and will never be on two of the most popular consoles currently out.

Lots to look forward to!

Finally, DLSS on the upcoming switch sounds like it is going to be amazing and an absolute game changer for Nintendo to present significantly better graphics with the lower powered hardware that they have been choosing. I am also very interested and looking forward to seeing what Nintendo is able to do with nVidia if the rumours are true.

EDIT: Apparently the TSR in UE5 is not like FSR so I changed my explanation to reflect that. Thanks @pharma

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    When I say its the same logic as DLSS I meant that FSR support and quality will get better over time, the same thing that has happened with DLSS. It "should" be even better with FSR with it being open source, something which we are seeing here already with a long list of devs on board. Something which we didn't see with DLSS when it first launched.

Also I never blamed Nvidia for anything, the games in question are Nvidia sponsored titles. Meaning more than likely Nvidia paid/helped with the games. Its logical to think that maybe Nvidia wouldn't take kindly to the devs implementing their competition's tech into a game they helped out. The EXACT same logic also applies with AMD sponsored games too, like RE8. I doubt AMD would take kindly to CAPCOM patching in DLSS.

10. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Couldn't be further from the truth. FSR and TSR are completely different as FSR doesn't take into account motion vectors and is not temporal, but spatial. DLSS and TSR use the same inputs to achieve their results and are substitutes for TAA where FSR is not.. Epic developers have made clear there is no relationship TSR and FSR:

Andrew Lauritzen, Epic Games

Exostenza likes this.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    im referring to these games in particular.
    any triple A ray traced game from 2018-2020 period should be fsr supported.
    period.
    what are you talking about monster hunter has had dlss for a long time already.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMhO They should give us simpler usability, via Radeon Panel
    Switch it On and it will work [FSR] for any running game -> That is the future (All games are supported at start).
    Blurrrr can be reduced by Sharpness (also in Panel).

We shall see soon enough ;)

13. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Interesting, I will have to read more about it. Thanks for letting me know!

I wonder if the TSR in Unreal Engine 5 is better than AMD's FSR and if it works on all hardware then would AMD integrate some or all of its code into their FSR? This is assuming Epic has/will make their source code available to AMD and other developers. I know I read that AMD worked with Epic in order to make sure their TSR is optimized well for the consoles/AMD hardware so it would stand to reason that AMD may have learned some stuff from them about using motion vectors or saw that their FSR non-motion vector approach is better than Epic's TSR?

I obviously have very little knowledge on all of this.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    oh man if only it worked that way we could sharpen the hell out of 1080p and get 4K
    truth is,sharpening introduces problems on its own.you're not getting the detail back,and you're introducing artifacts.

now image reconstruction,that is a different thing.

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    The work may have been about incorporating AMD's FSR into the UnReal engine. I'm not too sure how much collaboration would have taken around TSR since that is UnReal's proprietary upscaling tech.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Here's a simple comparison using nVidia DLSS Quality (2.2) vs Epics Temporal Super Resolution

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=0768f8d7-d1de-11eb-b7bf-95443c729a29

There is a bit of difference in more detailed geometry. I think this is because of how Nanite works in UE5, dependent on resolution. DLSS seems to be adjusting it's values correctly, but TSR is not. Maybe Epic will fix this by the time UE5 is ready.

The DLSS image is also a better at reconstructing detail, giving a cleaner picture.
    But still, TSR result is pretty good for a software solution, with no AI.

Personally, I don't think AMDs Super Resolution is going to match either.

17. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Your screenshots aren't appearing, but if this is it they say it might not be an apple to apple comparison. I'm looking forward to the upcoming review comparisons between FSR, TSR and DLSS in the next week or so.

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Should be working now.
    I know that there are issues with TSR and how UE5 generates some things, dependent on resolution.
    But it's still an interesting comparison to make.

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've read somewhere that 4A isn't gonna do anything FSR related for Metro Exodus PC EE, I think it's simply because FSR came out a tad late and the dev are done with it. Also, I believe that had a handshake deal with nVidia (just my personal belief) so all present tech for the game is nVidia centric.

Fine, I can accept this, (puts on tin foil hat) but should they release the next iteration of the game, and just use DLSS and optimizations for RTX cards, then we know money changed hands and the devs have locked themselves to just nVidia (takes off tin foil hat), I'd refuse to buy the game as a matter of principle....and that's saying a lot on my part as I love Artyom and his adventures.

20. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I could be wrong but believe they use some Fidelity FX apps (like sharpening, etc...). I think most studios will wait for the reviews and make a decision sometime after June 22. Most studios have their own internal upscaling techniques and will need to determine whether FSR adds benefit to the visuals they are trying to convey.