Z590 and RAM question...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Danny_G13, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hello chaps and chappesses, some of you may know that I've been having issues with my Z390 and getting 32GB to run happily at 4000Mhz. It doesn't, despite the RAM (g.skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZR) being on the QVL.

Always errors in OCCT.

Anyway, are more recent chipsets better for DDR4 at speeds of 4000Mhz and above for larger amounts of RAM?

I can get 16GB on Z390, at 4Ghz, but after the nightmares of getting 32 to work, I'm wary about upgrading hardware only to be faced with the same issue.

Or is in fact the Z390 (MSI Gaming EDGE AC) capable of giving me what I want, and I just haven't found the secret yet?

I'm aware of some chips having IMC limitations but 16GB is absolutely fine?! Even at 4400Mhz?!

Any advice appreciated.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Dude, you have at least 3 threads on this topic.
    You are burning your bridges.

3. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I want to know about Z590 chipsets and RAM capacity. Where do you suggest I post it then to repair those bridges?

4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Your biggest problem is that you keep saying you are aware of potential IMC limitations, you can't seem to fully grasp the concept that it is the IMC that determines just how fast any RAM will run regardless of what the motherboard manufacturers may list in a QVL.

Hell you don't even know what CPU they may have used in their testing. Do you really think that in the case of your board they are going to take the time to test all the available RAM against the 30-40 CPU's that are compatible with the board.

Here's an idea that will make your life much easier. Accept the fact that your CPU will not run the RAM you have at that speed (32 GB) and find the max speed it will run at and start using your computer.

DirtyMiners likes this.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    16GB is way easier for IMC to run them at higher speeds than 32GB

You can try raise SA voltages if that's helps, try raise RAM voltages too

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Did I mention that it runs at 4400 happily in 16GB form? This is the issue here - the QVL did not discuss IMC limitations, or potential limitations. If that's an issue and potential limiter, why not include it as an asterisk disclaimer?

Exactly! They have used one CPU, but used it as a template for all CPUs.

tbh, yes, or state clearly that they haven't. QVL is there for a reason - let's not start getting wishy washy about what it might or might not mean.

It errored out at 3700MHz as well...

I get your points, I do - but this forum is about hardware, and what we can do with it. Settling for second best is not satisfying.

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Anyway, I'll shut up about all this and stop annoying you all.

Peace out.

DirtyMiners likes this.