PLC (5-bits per cell written) Based SSDs will be arriving to the market, but only after 2025

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Good for cheap devices that don't see much writing cycles like smartphones, tablets and most cheap laptops.
    For consumer SSDs I wouldn't buy one, at least as an early adopter.
    At the moment TLC is a good day to day candidate, QLC is good for storage application.
    The benefits going PLC don't look that great, but progress needs to start somewhere!

3. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    I remember seeing some QLC NVMe SSD's, most use some sort of SLC cache or something similar for raw speed, then when that writing is done the writing goes to QLC (slower obviously) so you won't really "feel" the difference as long as you don't write over what fits in that cache. TLC seems to be the "best" of both worlds for now, pricing and performance wise, but hey, cheaper SSD's are always welcome as long as we still have the faster stuff if we really need it.

4. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Right now this is not encouraging, the Samsung QVO is more expensive than the faster, more durable tlc 870 EVO. Hopefully with more companies going for higher bit per cell ssd, the prices will eventually compete with the traditional HHD for storage.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021

5. SbbKbb

SbbKbb New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Ahahaha. Please our dear consumers,can you bend some more over? My rule is no more than 2 (1 NVME + 1 SSD 1TB) and Primo cache with 1 and 2 level of caching on SSD.This gives me 1 to 20 places for cached HDDs with SSD performance and an arm and a leg to spare. Oh, and BDW when SSD dies a can recover the data myself. How you recover the data when the SSD is DEAD?

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont this mean less write life?

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Not if you buy the 8Tb version

8. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I suppose not but 870 evo 2tb version is cheaper, that’s still big for an ssd.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yes, the more levels per cell the faster it dies, and counter intuitively, the slower it will be. That's why current SSDs use an SLC cache for speed.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so more the more cell the faster it and faster dies less cells less speed more life?

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No, less levels is faster in performance, that's why I said it's counterintuitive.

More levels per cell = dies faster & worse performance. So PLC will not only be the fastest to die, it'll also be the slowest in performance.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    are these newer cells atlest give more capacity?

IF not what is point?

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yes, capacity is the point. They will manufacture these for a lot cheaper per GB and sell them at a slightly lower price than QLC to make fatter profits than ever. And since so few companies control this they can force the market into accepting it if they really want. What are we going to do if they make almost nothing but PLC SSDs? Nothing we can do. Kind of like how nVidia has fracked the entire GPU market in the ass, and with AMD going along with it, that's just the way it is and nothing can be done.

So I guess the real point is profit. The companies are being companies and aiming for more profit.

carnivore likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is only point that matter on these companies sadly, hence it way it is and people buy it up no matter what

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Qlc is down to about what ? 200- 300 cycles . Plc 20 -30 ...so Silc will be single use consumables ? !