Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Dec 18, 2020.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
  3. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ahh, guess I have missed that one. Almost thought they'd slice in some teasing of new content, whenever that will arrive.

DannyD likes this.

5. Trixster

Trixster Member Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    It's the hope that kills us :)

6. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
  7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    June 21 the game is gonna return to PS Store..so...speculation time..new update coming soon?

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh that was her... didnt look like the pic at all... i remember her trying to double cross me, and running out to the guards to get help...

9. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Undoubtedly, probably also on 21st or shortly before.
    They had announced a "small" update in "couple of weeks" on investor call on 31st of May, so this is probably it.

10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm gonna start a new game if it's good update, happy to see they're not abandoning it.

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    They will, though. They're employing a typical Triple-A studio model for their games.

They will 'support' (patches, DLCs) the game for another year, maybe two if we are very lucky (but even if they do "support" Cyberpunk 2077 into 2023, during that year the frequency and importance of their updates will significantly be lower than anything they would do this year and 2022). This will mark the beginning of the end of a typical "cycle" for a big budget game and company. You support your game for just about 2 years (in some cases, just one; in best case scenarios about 3 years max). After the 2nd or 3rd year of support, they take their entire studio's workforce into their new project; which itself would have started a year before the end of the support cycle for the game.

They actually confirmed it anyway, already as we speak it's not the whole Cyberpunk 2077 team that keeps working on it anymore. It's part of it, maybe half the team is working on whatever they're planning to do with it for the next year or two. The other half is already at work on their next project. They'll take the other half that's on CP2077 into their next project by 2023, probably by the end of 2022. By the end of 2023 or early 2024 the game will have received its last official patch / DLC / expansion, whatever.

Mark my words, this game will be abandoned in due time. This game won't be worked on for the coming 5+ years like No Man's Sky.

If they're still patching the game and creating more content and/or game systems and features of any type by 2025 I'll be the first to claim that I was completely wrong. But I know I'm not. This isn't Hello Games we're talking about. And it's NOT the CDPR of the Witcher 2 and 3 years, the "chosen one" of the industry is gone since December 2020.

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Patch 1.23 for Cyberpunk 2077 is live on PC, consoles

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    This is out, because of the return on the ps store for sure.

A bigger will come.

14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Wow, this is such a revelation...I'm seeing red now. I thought that by paying $60 for this game at release, CDPR would work for me as indentured servants for the rest of their lives. Gaming is dead!

/s

15. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I assume most of the people are bitter, expecting some sort of magical NMS-esque scenario where suddenly a game will do 180 and turn out to fulfill all of their wishes.
    Frankly, 6 months in - it should be clear that is not going to happen and drawing parallels between essentially a finite content game and something that's mostly procedurally generated was stupid to begin with.

The game will get somewhat better and there will be some more content, some of it free and some of it paid. But that's about it, aspects of it that are severely lacking won't get significantly less hollow and others still take extraordinarily long time to get patched up, like game essentially lacking any serious financial economy and difficulty/damage balance, not to mention that only some of the broken perks have been fixed.
    Obvious QOL for things like crafting or minimap zooming out when speeding in vehicles to give you better read ahead of time are also missing 6 months into the games lifespan.

I'd guess that majority of average consumers in AAA already moved on but those who stayed hoping for said makeover are just crashing between obvious facts that at their current pace, said overhaul would be a matter of another 5 or so years which is not viable for a single player product but they just don't want to accept that such thing simply won't be happening.

16. Their stock has lost 60% of its value since Cyberpunk released. They should do -something-. It was quite obvious Cyberpunk is beyond saving the day it released, unless they redesign and rewrite some major parts of game code. Even if Cyberpunk won't sell any more copies, they might get their money back through their stock. So they have two options... fix Cyberpunk the way Hello Games fixed NMS or release a new, polished and successful game, presumably from Witcher franchise. I'd do the latter, because as I see it, Cyberpunk is lost cause.

17. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    You really want to go there do you? Mmmk, not sure if you're trolling, you being sarcastic on top of it doesn't bring forth any argument. But I'll bite, shame on me I guess, but alright; I have spare time (might as well).

1) No one said they were willing to pay just $60 and expected them to work forever on the game without ever moving on to other projects. YOU make it sound like we (or I, like others) would think this way.
    2) Have you ever heard of Paid Expansions? Something that, oh you know, CDPR have done with The Witcher 3?
    3) Are you actually happy, as a consumer, when a game that indeed costs $60 comes out in an absolutely undeniably broken, unfinished state? If you are - and going by what you said you do seem to be that kind of person - then you have zero self-respect to start with. Additionally, people like you ARE part of the bigger problem in the current, modern video gaming industry. So-called gamers who are absolutely content and genuinely happy with mediocrity, and half-baked, rushed-out products and demand even MORE of it every time. You fuel the big studios out there with reason to continue on with this "practice".

The state in which this... "game" was released back in December was unacceptable, especially when asking people their hard-earned $60 for it (heck, here in Canada a brand new game is $90). I mean, what - exactly - DID you expect from CDPR? Did you have this pictured in your mind prior to release that because they'd ask $60 for it that it would actually be released in a half-finished state and literally unplayable on previous generation systems and that it would be OK?

So, yes, of course; many of us WOULD want them to keep on working on this game for years to come to FIX the damn thing for a start. And THEN, once the basic pillars, the foundations of the game are stable, ADD content on top of it. But here's the "catch" (I suppose I have to present it this say to someone like you). MANY are actually ready to pay more money (happy now?) if they were to release their extra content in the forms of paid expansions. I, myself, would. If they were to ask me another $40 for an expansion that actually makes Night City more interactive with the player (and the pedestrians, or the other way around: the pedestrians interact more among themselves and with the City) then I would. Even if it took them 2 years to make, I would (and I would sure as heck WAIT patiently for it). If they asked me another $50 (yes, that much, if required) for a proper Police system, with actual corrupt officers (as they once said would actually be in the game... another one of numerous things that they cut-out to meet the deadline in order to rush it out for the release of the new gen consoles) then YES I would pay for that.

I DO NOT expect them to work for me as if they were "servants" (way to exaggerate it, I mean... I can be sarcastic myself but seriously that was a terrible attempt) for free and for a decade to come. Most of us only wanted to play - at the very least, and at release - a decently polished, and at least half-finished game. But we ended up with a game that for many could simply not even LAUNCH without crashing, we ended up with a game where we found out that there's no "real" consequences from our decisions, where the "RPG" elements were of much lower levels than the Devs were making it sound like in their presentations and demonstrations of the game in their 2 years-long advertising campaign. Heck, they had the balls to claim all the way back during E3 of 2018 that the game was Content Complete, in freakin' 2018... considering what we got in December of 2020; it's hard to imagine that they even had a pre-alpha ready in 2018.

It came out in such a decrepit state of a product that it WOULD take them years of support to reach a point that would be half-way of their original vision during development. There is no possible way that they can do just that in a typical 2 years-long "support" Triple-A cycle as it usually is the case from most big studios. However, again I repeat, they COULD keep working on this game for years to come AND ask more money. And it would NOT be a problem for a lot, if not for most of us, if at least that content does absolutely and undeniably improve the game. No one here is expecting them to do everything for free like Hello Games does with NMS. But, many of us DO wish that they would support it for a lot longer than what the "system", the Triple-A industry 'machine' would actually allow them to. They're now too big of a studio, and they need and desire more and more income. They fell on the unstoppable conveyor going into one and only one direction: profits. That is why, ultimately, this game WILL be abandoned entirely and they will move on to another project.

The irony is that moving on to another project is NOT something many of us are "against". I'm not. They can start working on any new project they want. But it should not cost them Cyberpunk 2077. There's two sides of the coin. In terms of business, the game worked. For the top Execs of the company, the game was a successful release, and was quite the gold mine for them. It sold (and pre-sold) like hot cakes. Why? Because they exploited the system in a very ingenious manner. It was deceitful, but absolutely well executed from the point of view of finance and business. They deceived the audience targeted by the game for 2 years straight; presenting the game into something that it simply wasn't, they actually completely scripted and baked the famous (now infamous) 48-minutes E3 2018 demo (the one that was revealed to the public a few months later, but was shown behind closed doors at E3 proper) which - by itself - initiated the over-hype wave of excitement among gamers and supporters of the "chosen one" company that was CDPR still to that point, with their sterling reputation coming especially from The Witcher 3 (and its PAID expansions might I add; which no one can deny absolutely improved the game in many ways, absolutely justifying its final price if one was to buy both of them). Very much up to the point of release, NO ONE in the public waiting for the game - with the sole exception of the actual Devs team themselves who would have known about the real state the game was in at that point - were expecting the actual catastrophe of a game that was "Cyberjunk 2077" at release. That game, at release, was _not_ the Cyberpunk game that had been advertised to us for two years prior.

So, YES, absolute freakin' yes I do wish that they would work on it for years to come (4, 5 years is what it would take to make this game into what they envisioned for it initially). They COULD start on working on any new project they want to work on in the meantime if they want. Nothing against that. And they COULD charge us money for 1, 2, 3... 4... 5 expansions. However many of them would be "required" over the years to provoke a 180ยบ turn for the best, I would be HAPPY to support them with my money and my "gamer patience" (it's all I could do anyway, wait for them to finish working on whatever they can work on for this game). But the reality is that such a thing will not happen, because it nearly never happens in this industry coming from big studios. So, yes, sadly, it will be abandoned "in favor for" their next project, leaving behind only a faint 'trace' of what the game could potentially have been over the years. I wouldn't mind if their next game would come out in 2026, but also in 2026 we'd end up with the 4th or 5th paid expansion for Cyberpunk. In fact it baffles me that a company isn't willing to have TWO sources of income, instead of just "one main" for some time. For now, it's Cyberpunk, and some Witcher 2 and 3 (mostly 3) on the sides. Then, their next game will be their main source of money, but Cyberpunk will only sell "as is" when its last official patch and/or DLC (paid or not) would already have been the "last update" from 2 or 3 years ago. They could instead just keep Cyberpunk an ongoing project, keeping it 'alive' and active as a game that keeps on growing (in the veins of a successful MMORPG game that keeps on receiving content over time; some of which is paid here and there from time to time) AND have their new game next to Cyberpunk as well at some point.

But instead - and this is guaranteed to happen (especially considering it happened to Witcher 3 anyway) - they will merely stop working on Cyberpunk entirely in no longer than maybe 2 years from now. And that in the end - I believe, for a game that has such a high ceiling for potential content and features - is a complete waste of a video game.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  18. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
  19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Pale Horseman likes this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not complete waste since many gurus here enjoyed it. (And some even did not buy it at full price.)
    We could say a complete waste if there were no people saying they like the game.

It should be lesson for all disappointed gamers - to not preorder games (and to some extent - to not play games right after the release).

{naive mode}
    If gamers will pay only for games that are not in trash state, and not falsely advertised then it will be a good feedback for the industry.
    {/naive mode}

cerebus23 likes this.