Flat Earth

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Phragmeister, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    A controversial topic. I used to make fun of flat earthers, but then I started looking into it and it is kind of fascinating.

Right now I'm not 100% on it being flat, but I also don't believe it's a sphere.

You may just think "but there are hundreds of pictures of Earth from space" but there aren't, and NASA artists have admitted it being photoshopped.

What's real?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"It is photoshopped, because it has to be" direct quote, check it out -

Got a spare hour? The latest flat earth documentary.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The problem with some people is that they are so stupid that they have no idea how stupid they actually are.

norton, Mufflore, allesclar and 9 others like this.
  3. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    As someone who has sailed across entire oceans, primarily as a professional navigator, I find this fascinating.
    What did I miss?

Mufflore, vestibule, Noisiv and 2 others like this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not this again.
    No need for NASA pictures, from antiquity some calculated the Earth's surface and curvature.
    Science is based on observation, like reading the big open book, aka Nature.
    Remember your trigonometry class?
    Go outside, get away from Fb or Twitter and observe, measure, calculate and pit the results against measureble reality.
    Again and again, the results can be contrasted and easily can be reproduced.

Not convinced?
    Grab some paper and a pen and following physics principles, one can found that the most adapted form shaped by gravity is a spheroid. In all observable Universe.

Still, not convinced?

Go outside on an sunny day. Stick some wooden sticks in the ground, place them vertically. The sticks as further separate as you can. Measure their shadows at the same point in time. Compare.
    Because the Earth is round, sticks placed at distant locations will throw shadows of different lengths.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My grandma told me :
    Don't get close to stupid people or dead ones.
    Both the dead and stupid, themselves are not suffering or are aware of their situation, people around them are. So, don't get near them.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This.

If the Earth is not round, how can one start from point A, travel to one direction and end up back at point A.

Unless ofc teleporters or magic are more plausible than a round Earth...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also one can join space flight programme and see for himself.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No, it is a giant hologram broadcasting from NASA HQ.
    /s

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The earth is round because of gravity. Like all celestial bodies, stars, planets, moons, mass accumulates and forms around a central point by the pull of gravity and a spherical object is the end result. Not sure how flat-earthers reconcile the sun and the moon into their logic. Do they think they are flat, pancake disks too?

p.s. why no facepalm emoticons?

allesclar likes this.
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The earth is not round, it's spherical

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not forget that flat objects like a coin when spun have an edge so when the sun rises in the morning, it would be visible over the whole surface. There would be no gradual rise for every point on the surface. It becomes illuminated all at the same time. So time zones are faked as well. What a massive conspiracy this must be...international date line, the equator...the whole shebang. What nut jobs. Oh...stupid me, I forgot. Flat earthers and people who believe the earth is spherical are all wrong. We live in a snow globe on some alien's desk. The desk lamp has some kind of mechanism that turns the lamp on and off at roughly the same intervals. The moon is the rooms night light. The night time stars are holes in the structure the alien lives in. Earth quakes, tides changing, tidal waves, are all the result of the snow globe being shaken. Extinction level events that occurred were the result of the snow globe falling off the alien's desk and breaking on the floor. So in reality we are in some kind of hybrid container that is a snow globe and ant farm all in one.

Noisiv and Airbud like this.
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It would be worth creating an anti gravity propulsion spacecraft, just to give these people to option to step out of the airlock and die in ignorance, figuratively speaking.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Spoken with a Flat Earth believer, in person. Sorry, but that person had an voracious appetite for attention. A mental disorder of some sorts.

When I tried (in vain) to invoke critical thinking, rational and some measurable outcomes of some experiments, I was rudely dismissed and my views were offending and untrue. Never ever felt that a person could be so rude and unpleasant.

Not saying that ALL are the same, but they share a common ground. Some nuts or bolts loose on the upper chambers or plain, old , simple ignorance fueled by social media algorithms. Making them the perfect zealots of whatever conspiracy theory is at hand, just to gain attention, to disprove and to preach their beliefs.
    Some people really need a check-up and to take their pills.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Noisiv likes this.
  14. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    exactly
    [​IMG]

Noisiv likes this.
  15. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It's all about getting people to believe what you say, regardless of what is true.
    It's a power play/trip. Like religion/cults.
    And also like January 6th.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

hehe

NICE :D

You think? I am positive that there are ways they can make this work. Dunno what's their current model, nor do I care. Most likely it's not a single model either.

A common flat earther would most likely DESTROY a common sense earther in a debate. These people live for this - it's their passion.
    Ofc the senior flat earther would should equally get destroyed by a proper scientist or a well versed earther :)

Airbud likes this.
  17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For the last time, earth is not flat! And it´s like a sphere either.

It´s shaped like a doughnut, the ones with an hole in the middle!:p

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Religion is about belief. Plainly put, it is a belief system. The Religion mentioned above that chooses not to classify itself as a religion just so happens to be one that preaches the belief that there is no God. Anything and everything can be classified as a power play/trip. Just is a matter of how convincing one is.

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just a forewarning. This thread has some potential to become a ground for heated discussions or whatever.
    Don't seems like it, but I've seen some signs.
    Call me pessimistic, just want to be proved wrong this time.

20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Earth is as flat as climate change is a reality with global warming.

Noob scientists and paid students.

The best age was when we were telling the truth. Earth is round, is hollow and we have Global Cooling.

I deny your data, I am believer of old and well concluded science.