GLOBALFOUNDRIES and GlobalWafers Partnering to Expand Semiconductor Wafer Supply

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    All I can say is i'm glad AMD have left them behind.

ManofGod and Embra like this.
  3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Performance wise, yes. Volume wise, I don't know man. But everyone is struggling to meet demand so I don't see much difference if they had a slice still.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Well, they are not supplying the gaming sector, but definitely fill a needed nitch.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    75 new jobs sounds surprisingly low but I guess when you consider how much of the production is done by machines, it kinda makes sense.
    In either case, are they still going to be on 12nm? Because if so, i don't really know how this is supposed to go anywhere. I didn't get the impression that GloFo was struggling to keep up with demand, because everyone wants what Intel, Samsung, and TSMC has to offer.

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    the only thing that still manufacture for the big leagues is the i/o die for the ryzen /threadripper / epyc chips , that said that does not mean that they do not produce various orders for micro controllers and soc's ones that do not need to be absolute cutting edge i mean if you have simple micro controler that consumes practically nothing for basic jobs on 40nm for example there is no rush to scale it down and we need tons of those too globally , for competition sake would have been better if Glofo was able to keep up .

7. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They have as far as 7nm and smaller nodes are concerned. They chose not to compete as they probably would have gone under as a company. Node shrinks are expensive as hell. Global Foundries was nothing but a boat anchor around AMD. Look at how well they are doing now, I couldn't be more happier.

Embra likes this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Hmm not sure if they anchored amd or amd anchored em first , they where competitive enough when they where with amd and right after but the sales of bulldozer and in general amd not able to really be competitive also reduced their income , so in return also their available fund for rnd .... Anyway i have no clue who was at fault i have no insider info just my thoughts.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Glofo give up on the race for the best nodes 2 or 3 years because they couldn´t keep up with the hugen amounts of money necessary to produce better nodes. Now they are "happy" to supply customers who don´t need the latest and greatest.

I think that´s one of the reasons why AMD left them and went with TSMC.

If i remember correctly, when AMD sold their fabs, they made an agreement to buy a certain amount of wafers to Glofo, no matter what, to help them ou. I think they are using them for their secondary chips. That´s why AMD is still doing business with them.

But ti think that agreement is reaching it´s end.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yup and I think it's good that such an option exists, because not everyone wants/needs the best tech. That being said, it really surprises me the auto industry hasn't opted for GloFo. Sure, perhaps electric cars could use every last watt they can preserve, but the others don't.
    For the I/O chips and I think chipsets, I think this has worked out well for AMD. This may have affected the efficiency of their products but I doubt by any substantial margin.