NVIDIA RTX IO

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Reddoguk, May 15, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Lily GFX likes this.
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Might need a faster PCI-E 4 M.2 SSD for it to shine though, which also means a board and CPU that adds the support.

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Good luck on that one with the intel 11th gen so many bad reviews on youtube

I went for the 10th gen i9 10900K on a tuf Z590 Mobo personaly

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nah, AMD like the consoles.

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The consoles with PCI-E 3.0 4x SSD inside? :O
    By the way, judging by nV's wording, I think "RTX IO" (I use this term here deliberately) was designed with PCI-E 3.0 16x SSD in mind. (That's why they said "even faster than Gen4 [4x] NVMe", thus >8x 3.0.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What are you talking about? Both the PS5 as the Xbox Series X got faster drives.
    With raw data we have what, around 3 drives for PC that perform up there which all are PCI-E 4.0?

Cave Waverider likes this.
  7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Ah, sorry. I remembered wrong. I see the PS5 has a Gen 4 internal NVMe drive. I thought those consoles had Gen 3 NVMe.

8. Kelutrel

Kelutrel Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I wonder what kind of performance improvement should be expected. Even modern games don't stress so much the hardware when loading assets from an ssd, if not for the games that still have a waitscreen and preload everything at once and may reduce that waitscreen time.
    Most modern games, like CP2077, don't stream more than 30-60MB/s from an ssd during normal gameplay or car racing, and a single core can easily decompress that bandwidth without much effort.
    Maybe further ahead we will see newer games that will take advantage of this feature by design in every area of the game, but it would take a while for 3d engines to be rewritten to really exploit the tech.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Didn't RAGE rely heavily on texture streaming? I think Carmack called it Mage Texture(ing) or something. Did ID mostly drop the concept or is it just that current PCs can easily serve the needs of later ID games like DOOM (2016)?

BlindBison likes this.
  10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    PCI-E 4.0 I have on my mobo but that works exclusively with 11th gen intel in this casy. I don't care it is always the same they want to earn more money out of you for better tech getting to old for that ......

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The new drives found in the consoles manage 4.8-9GB/s compressed data, when decompressed you can half that, which still is quite a lot for real time processing and loading.
    That uncompressed data can be fed straight to the GPU for rendering, imagine being able to start a game without having any loading screens.
    There is a bit more to it, like instant searches, improved streaming speed, very fast boot times..
    As for game seeing games taking advantage of it, that can already be seen with the PS5 and even the Series X with the slower drive.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    There are plenty of games with huge open worlds which rely on on-demand texture streaming, most noticeable @high resolutions and ultra settings when comparing them on HDD vs SSD.

13. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    To support DirectStorage for Windows, they are overhauling the Windows I/O Manager stack to make it batch-process multiple I/O request packets (IRPs), and probably replacing the StorPort / StorNVMe driver model as well.
    How the API surface would actually look on Windows, and whether Nvidia's RTX I/O is in any way related to DirectStorage, is not really known yet.

See the GameStack Live session video and slides:

https://e1cdn.social27.com/events-files/SysTools11_DIrectStorage for Windowsbfd95322-7e41-4e8d-821e-7adee9f9725c.pdf

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.
  14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I really hope that SSD's and Gen 3 NVMe's are included. Maybe not SSD's with their 550mb/s read/writes but a gen 3 drive like my Corsair MP400 4tb and it's ok speed. I mean it's 3.5GB/s or 3,480MB/s read and 3000MB/s write. I'll be gutted if they only support PCIe 4.0 drives.

I/O throughput on new Xbox is only 2.4GB/s but with this tech that is doubled to 4.8GB/s using compression/decompression but i'm guessing it's a Gen3 drive or am i wrong? I can't see proper specs for the 1tb version so i don't know.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Xtreme512 likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks for the links, very excited for this tech to make it into Windows.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed already that any NVMe SSD will be supported. SATA devices won't be.

XS SSD is NVMe PCIE4 but the drive itself isn't saturating the full bandwidth of PCIE4 connection.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well i hope it is sooner than later because i've read about 2-3 games i will be buying in the near future. System specs for some of these future games has 150gb in needed storage size. I know ridiculous right...

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't see this benefitting PC gaming much as most users have the OS on an NVMe and then game library on a second larger SATA/HDD, not many will have also a large NVMe secondary drive.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    A fast NVMe SSD being minimum requirement for gaming is inevitable in the coming years. So either get a bigger OS drive to which you'll be able to move games which you play or get a second NVMe SSD for game library.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Oh, I fully understand, I am just saying the mass user won't be at min spec for it. Sure guys here are now but that is not the norm.
    We still have to see a performance improvement.