Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it does but honestly I see no difrence between wired controller and Properly working BT controller, but that only stands for BT connection to Console. on PC side of thing is is trash

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I had to go through a bunch of BT adapters to eventually find a decent quality one that doesnt drop out the controller.

Another one is to use an extension cord and get the dongle away from your pc, clearer signal.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just noticed his Wifi/BT card (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168) antenna was not attached to his pc I plugged in it and worked prefectly fine 15+ feet away. Maybe I need to be looking at Card with antenna and not usb adapter or atlest one with with antenna,

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hmm Starwars: Squadrens free this month... I jus got flash back to starwar: x-wing/tie-figher/ Alliance

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I forgot about that game. Says it all really.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and now i kinda lest interested, seeing Squadron is locked to 1st person view. I use to love flying around in xwing tie fighter and alliance in 3rd person view.

But models look amazing just can not admire your ships model. I can understand being locked to 1st person in multiplayer mode, in single player mode too

Star Destroyer model is amazing

7. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I am going to write mini review here after managing to get hold of a ps5, turn away if criticism bothers you.

So normally I wouldnt buy a next gen console this soon after launch, my rune is to wait for multiple games are available that I want to play, however two things changed that this generation, we do have BC, and also the availability problems.

It is worth saying at this point I loved the ps4 dash, it wasnt perfect, but my favourite feature was the theming, made the console feel personal.

So I now have my ps5 plugged in, how do I feel?

Well first the migration process, I didnt do the wifi transfer due to issues I read about on the net, these issues may be resolved now but I didnt chance it. I moved all games to the external drive, moved all saves to a usb stick. Moved both these devices to the PS5, moved the saves to the PS5, and plugged in the external drive.
    For 6 disc based games I had to insert the disc to get rid of a progress bar, I noticed all ps4 demos are invalidated (ps4 only), but otherwise ok. The saves I moved onto the PS5. I then noticed I only had the saves copied for my first PSN account, so had to put the usb stick back into the ps4 pro, login to the other account, repeat the process, and of course was logged into other account when restoring on the PS5.
    I found out during this process clips and screenshots cannot be transferred. It seems sony has a thing for these been authenticated, which is why they also dont let them been moved to external storage. So I copied the clips and screenshots to my usb stick, and then moved them to my PC. This means any trophies that show screenshot will now not show a screenshot.
    My view on this, is that I feel its a fail you cannot move clips/screenshots over especially with that you lose the screenshots on the trophies. Also I think transferring saves, shouldnt need to be done per account. So not a great start.

Now for the rest of the dash experience.

My first thoughts are with the ps5 dash it feels empty, bland, devoid of personality. It needs themes. I know I will miss themes so much I recorded a clip of me going through all the themes on my ps4 pro.
    Next up is the new quick menu, if I am been blunt, the old one on the ps4 is better, the only thing better about the new one is perhaps if you playing a multiplayer game that doesnt pause, then this menu is better as it covers less of the screen. The game base seems such a weird naming scheme, I had to google how to manage my friends list, it feels more awkward accessing downloads, and it doesnt look as nice. All probably petty points in the long run, but this is an honest review.
    Next up other features. So I like the fact you can now auto record clip on trophies, good you can still fine tune power saving, dim the controller lights, enable auto login on power up, things which cant be done on my Series S.
    However its not all joy, I noticed they have removed the ability to do local backups of your saves on ps5 games, thats right, no moving saves to usb sticks anymore, its cloud backups only which now also means you need to be on psn+ to backup your ps5 game saves. In general I feel the effort made to prevent save file hacking ridiculous, who cares if someone else hacks their save. Not sure why the console vendors are so bothered here. But when it gets in the way of backing up your saves, I feel its gone too far. In addition the new trophy screen is trash compared to the ps4, it also as I understand it will no longer show screenshots on the trophies, it just saves them as normal media now. Finally the removal of folders it goes without saying is a bad move as well, there is a common theme here which I will touch on at the end.

The lack of 1440p is inexcusable in 2021, the most common monitor resolution sold is 1440p and sony release a console that doesnt support 1440p. Sony of course do sell 4k tv's, this may be a factor in this decision, it also could just be out of touch management who thinks everyone only games in the living room.
    PS4 games can be stored and played from external storage, I dont know if they have fixed the flaw where ps5 games cannot be stored on external storage, if they havent, it goes without saying they have no excuse, it needs fixing.

The bluray drive sounds like the old concorde planes but thankfully its only really used now sparingly so not a big issue. However the console is quieter than the ps4 pro at playing ps4 games, not yet tested on any ps5 games as isnt any to play until intergrade is out.

The ending to summarise most of what I said, the dash feels unfinished, it wouldnt surprise me if some common sense features get added years down the line, but sony seem incredibly slow at feature development, so who know sif/when it will happen. It is a shame that clips are still locked to the internal storage, no 1440p, but will see how things bear out for the future. Also the stand feels gimmicky to me, it almost certainly will be gone on the ps5 slim.

The best for the last, the controller has a lot of praise, the xbox series S controller I hate, noisy buttons and dpads, poor quality control, my ps5 controller, feels better quality, its much quieter, the only minor issue is share.options buttons are still too hard to press, need to be raised more and bigger, but otherwise decent. Maybe on the ps6 they will finally get there on those 2 buttons.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The new Ratchet and Clank game on the PS5 will be 60FPS and have ray-tracing(shadows?) enabled via a day one patch.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Just noticed something after the last software update, long press on the home button during gameplay now takes you straight to the PS5 dashboard, short press still brings up the quick menu.

Pretty happy with this change as having to bring up the quick menu then navigating to the main dashboard was kind of annoying.

10. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    Hey nice find, you're right it was quite annoying before. Since we are on the subject of the quick menu screen I'm still getting a frozen quick main when sometimes coming out of rest mode, no movement. I think it usually happens if there has been a game downloading in rest mode. The PS button will still work letting me to the dashboard which moves allowing me to restart the console. After that all good, not a big deal but just another bug needing ironed out I suppose.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hmm i never notice that either. I pretty much just in the habit of press the button turn the game off then pressing it again turn system off. but would nice when actual need to go in dashboard

system work peferctly no freezing no nothing, then again also dont use "rest" mode which where most issue come from anyway, I dont even use "rest" mode on pc sleep/hibernation what ever you want to call it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    They are probably not all that easy to manufacturer.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont think ther manufacture I think there are 3d Printed and the lack printing materal!@!!

bad joke aside still glad i manged to get one

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    That's not a new change it's always done that

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Guess mine was just broken up until the latest update then, before that holding the button did nothing for me and it’s something I did instinctively quite often, PS4 muscle memory.

I do miss double tapping the home button to get back into a game though. :(

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Warzone is getting 120FPS support. When played in backwards compitability.

18. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    Anybody here sign up for the PS5 software beta tester? I did it yesterday but not sure how many will be selected or when.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nah, let some else beta test using there own system, I will pass on it

20. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    Depends on how you look at it, I'd say more often than not we already are. I've been out the PC loop for around five years now due to commitments elsewhere and miss the unknown, custom GPU BIOS flashing, overclocking and so on. I'd rather beta test it than actually play a game.