Battlefield 2042

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowDuke, May 29, 2020.

1. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    Is this release in the BF series a do or die moment for the franchise? I would assume many of us older gamers that grew up playing the BF series would say that moment has already passed.

There was a major drop off from BF1 to BF5 in terms of sales. Or was that a just period setting mistake by DICE?

For those that played BF2, what was it about that game that later releases never quite re-captured? What were the great things from past releases that the last titles have not lived up to?

I was a fan of 2142. And while totally different than BF2 it still held some of the "BF" feel to it. Why am I left with that impression after all these years?

If 2042 is not well received and sales are poor, would EA just cut the cord for the franchise as the expense of a AAA game would not be justified?

But let's assume this release is actually a good one and is well received by the player base?

Where would DICE go from 2042?

If anything I would hope that they learned we are getting tired of WWI and WWII titles.

If 2042 is a success will DICE be forced to release 2242? Or do they try to play it safe and go with 2152?

I just don't see where else they can take the franchise after 2042?

2. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    I'm glad there isn't a singleplayer.

Who the heck is the smooth brain audience they're appealing to with that crap? BF SP campaigns are garbage. BC2 was half decent. If anybody plays that crap for the story they must have the mental maturity of an easily entertained 7 year old. Maybe even on the border of mentally retarded.

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    $110 for the deluxe version and it hasn't a campaign?
    LOL
    Switch pro where are you?

4. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I'm one of those ppl. BF3's campaign was awesome - story, maps, sound effects was all top notch.

Some ppl love it, some hate it. I guess it's a personal thing. No point getting so personal about it though.

Trixster likes this.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Very underwhelming reveal trailer, it even lacks that typical BF music.

As for the game itself, I will definitely wait and see. They were unable to produce fun maps since the times of BF3. All the more modern maps are super open and vertical, which just isn't fun for me, because I can either camp or die randomly from one of the billion directions I have to cover.

Also the price, no campaign, only 7 maps at launch and season passes. Seems more like a cheap cash grab before EA takes dice behind barn and shoots them.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Honestly, I think BF should just go away for a few years and then come back strong. I'll never forget playing BF2 for the first time. I was running around the map and then I saw this guy on a jeep fly by me. He then stopped and I got onboard. He drove, I shot the gun. It was amazing and it was something that was never really done before.

BF2 was the pinnacle of online shooters. Period.

After that, they took a long while off, due to many circumstances but when they came back with BF3, that game was king. And BF4 was also very good.

Everything they made after that felt like a cheap DLC, only priced full wonga. Bollocks to that.

DICE should honestly just disappear for a few years and come back reinventing the wheel, like they've done in the past. Until then, this is just a FIFA.

GarrettL and ramthegamer like this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm guessing china is an intended market so they won't do that.... that and they want little kids playing it.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The last Battlefield game I was really into was 3. I don't know, guess I'm just not really into online shooters anymore. As for the trailer, it just didn't have any kind of wow factor to me. Remember the Caspian Border multiplayer trailer? That was amazing!

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    After Battlefield 2 is where DICE started going for the console market and stopped caring about supporting the pc community of mod makers which in retrospect is what actually led to the creation of Battlefield 2, without mods Battlefield 2 WOULD NOT EXIST..........

After BF2's release with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat which is a bastardization of a video game on PS2 / Xbox and 360, and then with Bad Company which was only on PS3 and 360, never on PC.... which still to this day annoys the heck out of me that they released Bad Company 2 on PC without releasing the original, it's like hey guys you wanna play this game you never played the original of... ayy, we love pc gamers, while never again supporting pc mod community.

Every single Battlefield since Battlefield 3 is a Console Game.

GarrettL likes this.
  10. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    This game is sounding really good.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    BF3 is 10 years old, let the younglings have their turn.

Holy crap 10 years

jbscotchman and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Exactly!

[​IMG]

13. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    BF3 campaign is one of my favorite fps campaigns ever.

Great acting, cutscenes are well done, plenty of different locations and environments to keep it from being stale and a great plot that goes from being a war story to something more akin to an old Jack Ryan story.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So...pre order confirmed?

15. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I still remember the shitshow from the BF3 beta; the disconnect, crashes and constant stuttering - people were praying the final game would be better optimized, and it was. Where did the time go?!

XenthorX likes this.

16. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    FC6 is out on the 7th and i'm not gonna buy 2 games in October. I'll catch you guys later then. ;)

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Sourcecode stolen, so new cheats on the horizon. This can't be good. :p

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, this is gonna be bad... probably the death sentence for battlefield.

Does make me think if it could be a competitor who arranged the hacking.

20. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, one way they could somehow secure the launch would be to overhaul the netcode from the ground up, postpone the launch to next year and for the first time in years - allow dedicated servers with real admins again.

I'd totally go for that.