Windows Update ships new mitigations via microcode, hurts Intel CPU performance

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aufkrawall2, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It might be an old one reissued, I noticed when I first install 1809 LTSC, I had one of these downgrade my cpu updates, hidden it, then it was pushed to me again in march and unhidden, hate it when MS do that.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yet another reason not to keep updating Windows compulsively for no reason, specially if you game or do other heavy performance tasks on your computer. Stick to a version (1809, 1909, 2009), any you want, get it from https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php install the most recent one indicated in there with bootable usb, turn off updates with gpedit.msc and driver updates, manually download all drivers that are correct for your hardware, disable mitigations and that's it, leave your computer in peace. All you need on the internet is common sense and allow Windows Defender to keep updating itself. To fully disable updates at O.S level you don't have to disable Windows Update service to update Defender.

That or keep coping with MS bullsh*t.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Why isnt all this optional is the question.If I had a choice I would remove all mitigations on my gaming rig.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This all probably would optional if idiots didnt feel the need to post all the flaws being "Patched" to social platforms so everyone know about them as opposed to alot less would know if it wast posted to social platforms.

I blame the people post these flaws to social platforms for this whole mess.

Dragam1337 and Smough like this.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    MS doesn't care that much about gamers, a lot of people get alarmed and paranoid over this and if MS made it optional, a lot of users would complain about "not having security" and some major companies could sue MS over making this optional, so a lot of factors are at play here, even if gamers pay a price, we are not a majority. Luckly most of these can be disabled and the ones that stay I haven't seen they change anything at all because they probably need the others to work better or simply do not slow anything down. The ones that can really slowdown your performance are all the ones related to Spectre&Meltdown, if you disable that, that's enough.

F2000 likes this.
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Then make it reversable trough OS instead of having to use a 3d party software.Am I asking for too much?Quick "untick spectre/meltdown" under updates and restart.Just like you can disable exploit protections/disable certain cumulative updates.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They can but wont MS is covering there own asses. Unless MS pushed this stuff most everyone would be vulnerable to these flaws.

I mean how many people/ end users update there bios and microcodes beyond power users abosultely none. which why MS pushed in firstplace

Smough likes this.
  8. F2000

F2000 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 7900XT
    Just a general question, are we missing anything on the subsequent updates on WDDM and DirectX 12? I'm using LTSC

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Depends, Directx 12 has been slightly updated on 1809 and above versions, some DX12 games may crash or won't work on versions such as 1703 or 1607, so if you have LTSC version 1803/1809 or superior, you have nothing to worry about, as for drivers, they're exactly the same, any driver that works for Pro Windows versions works on LTSC without any problems, so don't worry about it, but as for nvidia drivers, only STANDARD driver package may work in LTSC, since DCH is Windows Store package and could give you a failed install or leave you without nvidia control panel.

As for Directx 12 Ultimate, that's DX12 RTX only available on Windows 20H1 and 20H2, so if you want those new features, you may need the latest version of Windows no doubt.

10. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Expect more and more games to be unavailable on 1809 LTSC. Metro Exodus Enhanced for instance won't work on it because it doesn't support DXR 1.1.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    All with you on this one, running LTSC as well. All this trouble to get an unbloated windows, right? :D

I guess they will handle it as they did before, release LTSC after LTSB to adopt newer directX standards at some point.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    windows no slogen should be.

Jack of all trades, Master of none.

But really good as broke updates and features people don't want:rolleyes:

One day i might actual switch to LTSC/LTSB or what ever they call these days but that is more loop holes then i wish to go threw atm

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The only loophole for me personally is getting LTSB / LTSC / whatever comes later, since I boycott the windows store anyway. That would be the only thing I ever missed.

14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    "True gamers" have game pass ultimate which includes ea play now, for both pc and xbox. If you are not a gamer you do not need microsoft store anyway. Good choice for pure working environment. ;)

15. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    In addition to disabling the mitigations via registry, you can delete mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll from System32.
    After deleting the .dll file, your PC will keep on booting just fine and the CPU will rely only on the microcode contained inside the motherboard bios.
    If the motherboard bios is prior to spectre/meltdown, you will regain 100% of the performance at the cost of security.
    It also brings back TSX in CPUs with the force abort mitigation, it's useful for RPCS3:
    https://i.imgur.com/91K2vCJ.png

If you want the .dll file back, you can run sfc /scannow in cmd and Windows will restore it for you.

aufkrawall2 and Dragam1337 like this.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    same can be done with AMD, mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    my mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll is dated 12/07/19 :D

I guess it's safe to remove being outdated so badly, and I am sure our BIOSes are more current

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I installed Windows 10 1607 LTSB as secondary O.S a while ago; one of the best decisions I ever made, some games simply run like no other version of Windows could ever run them, games that tend to "hitch" a bit on newer versions simply do not anymore on 1607. No security bs, no bloatware, no Store, just a pure O.S with no intrusions (feels like Zen when you boot it, that thing is just quiet, peaceful, makes you wish newer Windows would be like this again, all they do is force bloat and useless ui changes that no oncares about), never has been "hacked" by these "terrible" Spectre&Meltdown "dangers" and in general, it is just much faster than my tweaked 1809. But I need that one because I need some apps from the Store for my printer and other stuff and some games do run better than in the older version, but most DX11 games simply run much faster on the good old 1607.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh the method require to active LTSB or what they are called are not route i care to go down atlest i not annoyed enough by windows to go down that route

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    And use it for their Xbox only :p

itpro likes this.