RTX 3080 Ti mining limiter also affects other cryptocurrencies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It limit, this is cool... But not enough to be unprofitable.

The // of this news with all the change in crypto that will make GPU less interesting, look like opportunism.
    a bit like if NVidia claim "hey, if there is more GPU for everyone it is due to our action, don't forget to buy NVidia".

Good timing anyway.

Undying likes this.
  3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Cannot wait to see the first attempt of working hack of the limiter...
    Would not give more than a month...

4. Kwisatz

Kwisatz Guest

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
    Well, even if it's not nearly enough, it's still something....

5. turbare

turbare Member

GPU:
    4070 Ti
    And still, greedy f#cking retailers sell them for 3K EURO :mad:

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Every week some doofus comes up with a new coin, miners start mining, and suckers start buying. How could Nvidia possibly keep up with such a scheme?

Over here they seem to be around 1900-2200 euros. The stores have sold a lot, but there are still a bit left as well, by the looks of it. I assume the remaining ones will disappear soon enough since the 3000 euros 3090s keep selling, even if they aren't flying off the shelves.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Some countries are starting to ban mining and trading crypto, still very few.
    Baffles me how the world has not yet banned this ponzi scheme.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Even though there are non in stock, the prices that show IF they were are leaning towards the 3080s being very close if not more expensive than the 3080TIs. It might very well be etailer messing prices up, but still... with this news bit, at least there is SOME little tiny bit of hope down the tunnel...

One thing is sure, the "vanilla" 3000 cards without the limiter, working or not, will become more and more expensive.

turbare likes this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    While looking at the 3080 Ti prices, I happened to have a look at the 3060 Ti and noticed the store hasn't got any new shipments of any models since March or very early April. That's pretty ridiculous, seeing how it should still be within the most popular mainstream category. It underlines quite forcefully what people have been saying for a long time: the cards never leave China. They are probably shipped to the industrial miners straight from the factory. So, yeah, with such "availability", the cards won't be getting any cheaper.

Legacy-ZA, carnivore and Solfaur like this.
  10. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yes the price of 3080 are actually higher than 3080Ti in my country, so Nvidia is doing something for gamers

Solfaur likes this.

11. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    I'm so glad I have 2080 Tie and didn't sold it back then. :D

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sure, but look how good you would look with a

[​IMG]

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah I have 3080 and 3080 TI MSI SUPRIM (both) at exactly the same price and in stock right now. 2800 euros... o_O

Silva likes this.
  14. tailspin

tailspin Member

GPU:
    ARES II 6GB
    So, we have mining-nerfed cards now. Can you buy a 3080 ti in the shop? Is it going for RRP ? If he answer is NO, then Nvidia jus bluffed everyone and is now making profit selling your 3000 series GPU chips as CMP crypto-mining cards making more $ while you still have no GPU's on the shelf or anything that looks like RRP. Thank NVIDIA for this. Just wait till all the other cards are mining-nerfed and nothing else changes. Same price, same un-availability...But hey, your 3000 GPU chips will be sold out the back door in pallets to miners who are buying the overpriced CMP cards causing the supply shortage to extend through 2022.

15. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I would go for the ASUS TUF model, right now the ASUS TUF 3080Ti is 2200usd, 200usd more than what I paid for my 3090 back in Dec2020 :D

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'll never buy Asus again: their cards blow up and they don't honour warranty. Also motherboards come full of problems.
    Asus was a great company when stuff was made in Taiwan, now everything is China and quality not existent.
    Buy MSI or other brand with a better reputation (hopefully still made in Taiwan) or face headache.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've grown very suspicious of this pattern lately. Seems a little too easy for new currencies to gain value, at which point you really have to wonder, where is that value actually coming from? Value doesn't come out of thin air or commodities, and these currencies are being pulled out of thin air and are becoming commodities.

Well, kinda the point of mining is to be a decentralized or government-unregulated currency, so part of me wonders how the currencies are supposed to be successfully banned in the first place. If the ISP is meant to track and block it, just us a VPN. If you're not allowed to exchange the currency, exchange it into one that is accepted, and then exchange that currency into your local one. If a country prevents stores from accepting cryptocurrencies, well, all you have to do is exchange the currency. If miners are willing to spend 3 grand on a GPU, I think they're fine with some conversion losses to avoid rules by their local government.

18. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    But can it run crysis?

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    720p medium settings

20. Legacy-ZA