Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 stolen source code leaked online

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I wonder how `media` can use stolen document legally and not face consequences.
    Unless cd project red is involved in something illegal, what can you write about them worth of giving those thief any kind of support?

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's a bit like "i know something, that you know, and that is secret...".
    If CDPR have done the thing right, those data are mostly obsolete...
    But i know, looking back on how they have got those data by lack of... anything... maybe they have done nothing...

About media it's another problem, if the benefit will be superior to the sue that come after they will do it.
    Also there is the "protection of the source" law in many country AND divergence of law (including some EU country) that make it possible.

4. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    There's a word for people like this, but I won't print it here.

Dragam1337, Maddness and Silva like this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Sure but those are still `stolen goods`. You shouldn't accept them, right?

rl66, Maddness and Silva like this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Proves one more time that nothing is secure once connected to the internet. Not that air gapped system are hacker-proof.

Solfaur likes this.
  7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As far as potential CP2077 multiplayer hacks are concerned, I for one see the chances of a multiplayer even happening anymore at this point below 1%.

8. clopezi

clopezi Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    For that reason, almost any political scandal will be published on newspapers.

The games information, source code, and son on, it's private information and media will not publish it. But if documents contains information about HR, crunch, salaries, extra hours, labor rights, etcétera... media has a compromise with the society to publish it. Doesn't matter if the info it's leaked or not.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    But, as an exemple, i work in a way smaller company, with a way more secured system...
    Sadly (because i like their work) they were not at a descent level of security.

The "stolen goods" definition for that depend a lot from the country you use it, and who use it...
    Most medias doesn't care about the origin of the info they use, stolen or not stolen, because their work is to inform (and mostly to make a lot of money direct or indirect way).

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This is what's gets me thinking. For sure they had more than enough money to invest in better security and constantly pentest and asses their IT infrastructure.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I think you mean Assess ;)
    But you are right, they surely did arse their security!

carnivore and anticupidon like this.
  12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry, unwanted typo. Forum replying on the phone is ground for errors.

13. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Best thing I can think of is modders adding some crazyass mods since they will see the source code.

14. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I remember times even companies like IDsoft actually gave sources for free.. now is such leak disaster.

Who actually cares about this stuff? I guess that some other programmers can to learn something from it, but with such huge code base it would ne easy and it would need lots of skill.. and maybe, maybe somewhere is China some company can try to use it to make similar product.. but afaik it would be first such product from China, so even with all source code it would be problematic and easy to reveal in final product, if something would be copy/pasted.

"Best use" would be if some big company like Ubi,Crytech or EA would deep dive into technology details and improve their technologies.. but it would be possible because their company rules.. so i guess that their programmers will try to learn from it in their spare time in the secretive.. and they will not admit that, but they will improve their skill through it and their mother companies would profit from it.

That is how world always worked and it was to benefit of technology progress and whole humankind.. this is only easier way than some reverse engineering and disassembling and debugging.

BTW if these games would use Denuvo some Denovu sources would be included with package, it would be much more fun :)

Other aspect, well in theory - few very curios Poland people can find how much money their neighbor is making and what his boss things about him..
    BTW in not sure which one, but its few years when some Scandinavian country made incomes all their citizens public and our planet is still rotating.. Its maybe better way than keep some state clerks in business of selling peoples personal details for few bucks to private investigators, what is common practice in most of the world.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Caesar likes this.
  15. It could be problem for online/competitive games. Having source codes will help you immensely in creating cheats/hacks. Such company might not recover from this new wave of cheaters. In case of CP2077 however, I don't see how it could do any more damage than what CDPR did to itself already by releasing game in such disastrous state.

schmidtbag likes this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Can't wait to check the 14lines of code that handle the law inforcement system.

jbscotchman likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Hopefully someone will now go on and fix those games.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This is probably a naive question, but what does that change at this point?

rl66 likes this.
  19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I said it before and I'll say it again: Modders using the source code to try and make mods out of it will face serious consequences if the company decides to investigate and act on it.

1) The devs would 100% know if a mod was possible to start with because the modder had access to (and used) the source code. The devs know what is technically impossible to achieve right now in the form of a mod _without_ the source code. Any coders in the dev team assigned to look into it would immediately know if the modder used the source code, or not.

2) If CDPR decided to track down the modder, they could if they wanted to bring that person to court.

It is ILLEGAL to use the source code with the intention to make a "mod" out of it and then publicly release it. If anything... if there's a modder out there willing to give it a try and would manage to make a mod that otherwise wouldn't have been possible without the source code; then that modder should keep it to himself for his own use at home, and keep his head low and never reveal it to the public (much less never share the files / mod / assets online on any modding web site, ever).

It's up to CDPR though. If they ignore it (and I doubt they would) then "fine", I guess. Modders out there would be "free" to do whatever. But they shouldn't take the risk.

The only way we can get mods on the level of what could be done with something like The Elder Scrolls games, it would take CDPR to officially release a full development kit software in the veins of Bethesda's Creation toolkit which allowed so many mods to change profound aspects of their games. For the moment, Cyberpunk 2077 does not have that sort of officially-released modding software, and what CAN actually be modded in the game is pretty limited; I'm not sure if it's even on the level of The Witcher 3 modding even at this point.

So yeah, people who think that suddenly a bunch of crazy mods will come out because of the Source Code should think twice about it. I doubt it's going to happen with CDPR just doing nothing about it.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My feeling about this is:

CDPR really have their hands full and one shining light they could see coming from their code being released would be people publishing mods/extensions/expansions/fixes.
    You are right, they can take them to court, or...
    Pay for the mods so they can be released by CDPR officially.

Instead of decreasing good will, this would increase it and at the same time keep modders practising.
    The reputation of the game would increase, sales would rise.
    Gamers would be happy, CDPRs stock would rise.
    All without having to do much work (apart from creative licensing/recruitment), it would be a darned sight cheaper to take this route to the games expansion/repair, at the same time, milking some of the best creative talent.
    Even use it as a recruitment tactic.

Clearly it cant be a free for all so they would have to put the brakes on those that dont get taken on board.
    Thats the tricky bit but if managed well, it could still turn out very positive.