RTSS Overlay Editor Megathread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Haldi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Manu2708

Manu2708 New Member

GPU:
    GTX670 2 GB
    .ovl overlays only show in my games while the Overlay Editor is open. How can I show the .ovl overlays by just launching RTSS?

Thanks!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Activate the plugin, set checkmark next to the plugin name in the list.

3. David Jaques

David Jaques Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080Ti
    Hi All,

How can I go about inserting custom animations?
    So far I've made my own sample.png in the overlay folder and inserted it into the overlay editor (so far so good)

Two problems I've come across are:

1. With my sprite inserted when switching to a game, it defaults back to the original sample.png

2. I can't find the animation timer as found in his video @4:40

4. Unwinder

1. You have to embed new sprite into overlay layout. Layouts -> Edit -> Embedded image
    2. You don't need to find it, it is up to you to _create_ it. Video demonstrates it step by step

5. Streuwinkel

Streuwinkel Guest

GPU:
    Pulse RX Vega 56
    Andy_K likes this.
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Did something change in a recent HwInfo update? I'm no longer seeing any data sources available from it.

[​IMG]

7. Unwinder

Amaze likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    That's a shame. At least I was able to roll back to 6.42 without issue.

9. Unwinder

You can freely use 7.x too, just don’t forget to reenable shared memory interface in HwInfo properties each 12 hours.

10. DuskRider

DuskRider Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    UPDATE- After tinkering with afterburner for a while more I almost have it perfect, Just one more thing I would like to change. [​IMG] I have this where the real time fps is in the picture below, however I can't manage to move the FPS text any further to the right without all the units and values moving as well. I would like the FPS text to be centered along with the counter

Does anyone know how I would go about configuring something like this?

[​IMG]

I've spent hours trying to figure out how to replicate this image using afterburner and failing miserably.
    I couldn't get the larger centered text in between the groups, I cant figure out how to align by center nor can I figure out how to get the lines so close for the other text. I'm also stumped on how they have an inverted graph for frametime (dips down rather than up).
    That's when I discovered that RTSS has an overlay editor. Sadly I also seem to be too dense to figure that out either... Is it possible to edit the current OSD that afterburner already implemented? if not, is there a way to hide it in the editor?

Finally, can someone point me to easy guides or help me out in replicating the above overlay? That's my main goal but I'm stumped and pretty beaten trying to figure this all out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @DuskRider To me it appears you are using the MSI AB Layout Editor and not the RTSS Overlay Editor Plugin. This thread is about the latter one.

12. DuskRider

DuskRider Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6GB
    @Andy_K But I'm asking if my current afterburner layout can be implemented into the overlay editor so i can edit the few parts that I can't figure out with afterburner? Is that not allowed?

13. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Oh, right. Shouldn't have stopped reading after
    Well, yes it is replicable and no, not to my knowledge, is there a way to "import" MSI AB Layout to RTSS Overlay Editor and refine the edit there. You have to build it from scratch.
    How to do it: Read the first post of this thread and follow the links to watch those videos.

What do you mean by this?
    Do you want to hide the MSI AB OSD Layout and only display the RTSS OSD Layout? If so in MSI AB disable all checkmarks "display in OSD" on the monitoring tab.

14. JoeLittle

JoeLittle Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    Hi,

I am about to add a new external data source (the dialog itself calls it data provider later on) to the RTSS overlay editor. So far I found the SharedMemory example, but from that I could only derive how to add new text strings to the Overlay.
    What I need is to generate a new data source like the existing ones (Internal HAL, AIDA64, HWiNFO, MSI Afterburner and Windows Performance Counter) that can add say 50 new possible data macros the user can select from (fan speeds, temperatures, etc.). Can someone please point me to a working example in order for me not to be required to reverse engineer the OverlayEdtior plugin code (which might also work, but starting from an example would be way easier I guess).

15. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    Hi

I'm having a problem with the barchart graph style that I hope someone could help with.

For some reason it adds a space/margin to the sides which I want to remove. In the videos in the OP the barchart if filled without any gaps.

I am measuring CPU 0-7 core usage using HWINFO dataset.

https://imgur.com/fq2owqQ
    https://imgur.com/xNSVuy1
    https://imgur.com/GcBO9kU

Thank you

16. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @Bhudda set margin to 0 and if you want to have all graphs in one layer, define the graph style to use in the first and then just add the other core graphs...
    In my screenshot all cores (in blue, in the top right) but the first are at 100%
    upload_2021-6-20_11-43-26.png

Bhudda likes this.
  17. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    Thank you that worked a treat.

18. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    @Andy_K What correction formula do you use to get percentages to display like 93.2%?

19. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
  20. FING3RZ

FING3RZ Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 @2.1
    Sup everybody. Finally got around to customizing my own overlays and thought I'd share. Screenshots don't show them off very well at all. They also don't show the colored text/graphs for temps/usages. I started from the sample.ovi that Unwinder provided and went from there. Only need RTSS and Afterburner to fill the data. Enjoy!

COMPACT < Link
    Custom_Compact.png
    FULL < Link
    Custom_Full.png

mcplaza, vLaDv, Paul B and 2 others like this.