Radeon Software Slimmer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    The bloat really started with the 2020 drivers at the very end of 2019. The AMD External Events Utility service was around before that, but It's one of the many things we don't understand. Heck, the AMD PCI "driver" isn't a PCI driver. AMD is bad at transparency or making it clear what something does. If we do get anything, it's very cryptic or very dumbed down.

As for the downloads, they correspond to the version of .NET they are targeting. Unless you installed 3.1 or 5.0 runtimes on your own, the 4.8 version is a safe bet since it's included with recent versions of Windows 10. They are all functionally the same. It's the same code, just built a little different. Once .NET 6.0 comes out near the end of the year, 3.1 and 5.0 versions will probably go away.

SebastianDI and AsiJu like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ok, good to know!

More general question, do you guys always DDU the old driver when changing drivers or just uninstall or overwrite?

Haven't used AMD for some years so curious what's the recommended procedure here.

3. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    That System.IO.Abstrations library is really nice. It made creating a bunch of automated tests for this feature really easy. I need to use this in other places too.

Anyways, just one new feature this release, being able to remove display driver components (I couldn't think of a better name). These are the folders with the display driver that aren't in the manifest files for the installer. Currently, crash defender, HD audio, AMD Link and the UWP thing are automatically installed. You can remove them from the installer now with this tool.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.2.0

Radeon Software Slimmer 1.2.0

New Feature
    • Pre Install: Added the ability to remove display driver components

4. ScriptRouter

ScriptRouter Guest

GPU:
    RX 480
    Hello

I've done my own manual edits in the past but tried Radeon Settings Slimmer a few times, I've seen it being WIP but I thought I'd test it out and this is first time I'm doing some feedback! BTW I'm not new to any of this kind of stuff, just made an account here as well :)

This time around I noticed a few peculiarities, first there seems to be some items that the Slimmer lists that don't actually exist in the extracted package, extraction done by the default self-extracting package it self.

amddvr64.msi
    WVR64.msi

Until several hours later I figured out some of these are packaged inside yet another installer inside the display driver, forgot about that.
    Then I realize the "URL" entries are actually the parameters taken from the config of the official install package. So it is correct, but what options we have in this case to show more details about the structure of these components?

And I did read the wiki yesterday, but just missed the part about the installer-inside-installer, oh well.
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/wiki/Installer-Packages

This is the stable WHQL driver I was using:
    https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.4.1-win10-64bit-apr20.exe

My side of the issue is that performance overlays wouldn't work at all, I think it's because didn't install RyzenMasterSDK, which is confusingly named as the real SDK is much larger it think around 60 MB (actually called Ryzen Master Monitoring SDK), this is not a SDK, it's just the diagnostics metrics server/provider hopefully the missing component that will make the overlays work.

I went the experimental route and tried installing RyzenMasterSDK.msi manually, rebooted, and nope it didn't work.
    The latest optional driver suite release notes actually note that if the RS doesn't detect RyzenMaster properly, a reboot my help, so yeah the two things need some figuring between them, which is what may be wrong in my case doing it like this, so I'll have to reinstall the whole thing to figure this out.

I hope I don't need DVR or VR stuff for these overlays, we'll see.

EDIT: I knew something didn't feel right, Ryzen Master is the CPU overcloking utility I heard about so this is totally weird naming, I guess the "Known Issues" talked about that utility not being recognized by RS, not the metrics server.

Just setting up a new PC based on AMD for the first time in many many years.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021

5. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Yeah, the separate ccc2_install is just silly. It's referenced by the display driver inf file, so I'm not aware of any way to change any of that without breaking things such as WHQL or digital signing. I'm just glade the main installer manifest files control how that works.

For the overlay, you will need to install "AMD DVR64" and have the host services running. Personally, I like using MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner Statistics Server for overlay monitoring much better. The overlay stuff is different and not related to virtual reality (VR), which is " AMD WVR64". RyzenMasterSDK I assume is for advanced CPU monitoring capabilities. I don't have RyzenMasterSDK installed, but basic CPU utilization is still available with Radeon Software monitoring. The standalone Ryzen Master software can do quite a lot and is a separate installation if you want to get into that.

SebastianDI likes this.
  6. Lengyel Kalman

Lengyel Kalman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6700 XT Nitro+
    Hey!

Great utility program you made there. Just installed Radeon Software 21.3.1 with all the bloat unchecked except AMD Software and AMD Settings. And it works great except on little thing.
    HWinfo64 can not measure the FPS values during games anymore. Just constantly shows 0. It does work with a full installation.
    Which part of the Radeon Software would I need to put back to make it work again in your opinion?
    Thanks in advance.

7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I'm not sure what HWInfo uses to get the data from, but it's working fine for me and my installation is pretty bare boned. I only have the display driver, Radeon Settings and the external audio events service installed. One thing to note is that HWInfo only shows current framerate when the game is in focus. So if you alt-tab out and go look, it will show 0.0 FPS. I have it up on a second monitor and shows the current FPS from the game in focus.

SebastianDI likes this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    This is why I <3 using DXVK Async. The in-game overlay is very useful

9. tiny_goblin

tiny_goblin New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro 5600M
    Firstly dear GSDragoon, thank you so much for such a useful (and modern-looking) piece of software!

Secondly please help me out anybody. I've read this thread and RSS GitHub Wiki carefully and didn't find answers. I'm modifying legacy version of Radeon Software based on 20.4.2 WHQL (driver version 19.50.32.01, while 20.4.2 comes with 19.50.29.27) of AMD Software provided by Apple in 2020 for laptop that I ordered (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp, https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/macbookpro_2020_19.50.32.01_whql_200420a-354532c.zip). My goal is to get only GPU driver and GPU settings as lightweight as possible, no other extras or services.
    1. Should I keep both "AMD Catalyst Control Center Slim" and "AMD Catalyst Settings" for my goal? Or "AMD Catalyst Control Center Slim" is just a legacy version of "AMD Catalyst Settings" so I should keep only "AMD Catalyst Settings"?
    2. Is it a good idea to disable two remaining scheduled tasks or I should NOT touch Scheduled Tasks section at all?
    3. Is "Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable" required for "AMD Catalyst Settings" to run?

I'm attaching 3 screenshots of RSS with settings I'm talking about.

P.S. I've downloaded a more recent version of Radeon Software and notices there's no "AMD Catalyst Control Center Slim" option when opened with RSS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  10. tiny_goblin

tiny_goblin New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro 5600M
    Answering my own questions since I no longer can edit or delete my previous message:
    1. No, I should keep only "AMD Catalyst Settings" to install only modern AMD Settings.
    2. Yes, all scheduled tasks can be safely disabled if you need only "AMD Drivers" and modern "AMD Settings".
    3. "Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable" is not required "AMD Catalyst Settings", the "AMD Catalyst Settings" has it's own Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable 14.14.26429.4 (x86 & x64) inside of ccc2_install.exe under "Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B354190". It will be installed regardless in case modern "AMD Catalyst Settings" is being installed.

11. SebastianDI

SebastianDI Active Member

GPU:
    AMD blabla
    I would give you 5 stars for your efforts, dude. You are amazing! Thanks for this nice piece of Software! Cheers!

GSDragoon likes this.
  12. SebastianDI

GPU:
    AMD blabla
    You are a great programmer, sadly your software not compatible with windowsdesktop-runtime-5.0.8-win-x64? Cheers! I use your software to slim my drivers.

13. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Working fine on my end with .NET 5.0.8. Try repairing your .NET installation.

14. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.3.0

New Features
    • Pre Install: Added buttons to Keep All and Remove All packages. Useful if you only want to keep a few instead of having uncheck a bunch individually.
    • Post Install: Added detection for amdfendrmgr (AMD Crash Defender Manager Driver) service
    • Post Install: Added detection for DVRAnalytics scheduled task
    • Post Install: Added detection for StartAUEP scheduled task
    • Post Install: Added temp file location for AMDIdentifyWindow
    • Post Install: Added temp file location for AMDLink
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Pre Install: Installer extraction path needs to be empty or not created yet. Paths with existing files and/or folders will be rejected.
    Defects Fixed
    • Pre Install: Fixed scheduled tasks not being installed. Import XML files were invalid, causing all but a few scheduled tasks (that follow a different process) to not be installed, even if left enabled.
    Dependencies Updated
    • MahApps.Metro 2.4.7 -> 2.4.9
    • MahApps.Metro.IconPacks.FontAwesome 4.8.0 -> 4.10.0
    • TaskScheduler 2.9.1 -> 2.9.2
    Other Changes
    • Utilizes System.IO.Abstractions in most areas that can use it. This includes adding a bunch more tests.
    • Windows 11 added as compatible OS and listed on readme/main page
    • Updated badges on readme/main page (thanks to shields.io)
    • Normalized all file line endings
    • Miscellaneous test cleanup and updates
    NOTE: This will probably be the last version with builds for .NET Core 3.1 and .NET 5. Once .NET 6 is out, the plan is to produce builds for .NET Framework 4.8 and .NET 6 only.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.3.0

15. SebastianDI

GPU:
    AMD blabla
    You are a fecking genious! THANK YOU!

16. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    is there a way to disable web browser only with this software?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  17. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    There's a built-in option in Radeon Software for this. Settings (gear icon) -> Preferences -> "Web Browser" in the General section.

18. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    I want like AMD minimal driver but with performance Tuning pls

19. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Then all you need is the display driver and Radeon Settings components.

PhazDelta likes this.
  20. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    I found it just delete QtWebEngineProcess.exe