Guru3D Rig of the Month - May 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Like the dane I played D2 with back in the days.

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Takes me back (although systems 20 years ago never looked this beat up, but that's his theme! ) I clearly recall how many Win64 device drivers (remember that one?) I had to use when I first began running Vista x64...! I lacked a lot of 64-bit drivers and then I was dual booting between Vista32 and Vista 64 until the drivers finally arrived at which time I dropped Vista32.

But I swear I seem to remember a version of Windows called "Windows 64"...that's where I got my first 64-bit drivers so that I could actually use Vista x64 when it was brand new. But was it "Windows 64" or was it "win2k 64"...? Just can't remember where I got those drivers--except that the OS I found them in pre-dated Vista. Do you by chance remember?

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    LOVE IT!

Socket A is my favorite platform since you can do Win98-XP generation builds that run the majority of games and older apps. The airbrushing and self made parts fit the vision well, very nicely done.

I think some comments were from people who haven't owned Socket A or generally don't know what they're talking about. The 2500+ could be clocked about the same as the 3200+ chips (or the mobile variants) with the right board and cooler.

Božo Kaurić likes this.
  4. Božo Kaurić

Božo Kaurić Member

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2060
    Pozdrav!

I had no idea what case it was... someone told me it was an Antec, but I doubted it. DTK is more like it ;)
    I bought it as a complete system for cheap, it had some P4 in it, but I only got it for the case.
    And yeah, I added wheels my self, saw them in Bauhaus for cheap and had to put them on, just for fun :)

Airbud likes this.

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    1. I checked the mobo before posting, sadly only the 333 was supported.
    2. well, it's like using a 1030 for a 2020 build.
    Rest.... well, you're right

6. Božo Kaurić

Božo Kaurić Member

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2060
    I think you are making just one mistake... GPU in this build is FX5600, which was comparable to Radeon 9600, which was a best buy mid range option at that time.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    There was a 64bit version of Windows XP. It was not very good.

8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    2k seemed to be the thing here in DK back in the day :)

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    VIA KT400(A) chipset on Asus A7V8X-X motherboard could work with 400MHz DDR but full stable only with one RAM stick. With 2 or 3 RAM sticks running DDR400 @ native speed VIA KT400(A) was not stable, random issues here and there, doesn't matter how much voltage one injects into chipset or RAM. So with 2 or 3 RAM stick, despite they were 400MHz capable, reverting back these to 333MHz is a must for fully stable system on every single one VIA KT400(A) board I've used (tried lots of VIA KT400(A) motherboards from MSI, GigaByte, Asus, EPOX...). I'm talking from firsthand experience, I had used Asus A7V8X-X for cheaper PC builds backthen based on Athlon XP CPU's (Thoroughbred A and B cores), for Athlon XP CPUs based on Barton core backthen I've prefered motherboards with NForce 2 chipsets because of much better OC potential, my personal record was Barton 2500+ OCed from stock 1833MHz to almost 2.8GHz (not sure, around 2.5V for CPU) on some EPOX NForce 2 Ultra 400 SPP based motherboard.

Although never been much in love with Asus A7V8X-X, backthen EPOX had much better VIA KT400(A) motherboards, even cheaper EPOX motherboards based on VIA KT400(A) chipsets had 2 SATA ports and OC potential of these EPOX boards was a bit better.

God, I feel old now :)

Airbud and Božo Kaurić like this.
  10. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    What a beautiful pc! This will probably be my pick for the roty, cheers to the builder, he bring me joy with this jewel

Božo Kaurić likes this.

11. Božo Kaurić

Božo Kaurić Member

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2060
    Do you remember Soltek? :) if you do... we are both old :D

SamuelL421 and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yes, I remember... Just checked my BIOS/driver archive ana still have drivers and BIOS's for Soltek SL-75JV, SL-75JV2 and SL-75KAV :) Their VIA KT-133A motherboard lineup was quite decent for OC as far as I remember.

Besides my favorite EPOX and Soltek you've mentioned, for good old times, just to add some more motherboard manufacturers I had worked on backthen so that we could feel even more older :D
    As far as I know non of there exists anymore in PC motherboard market:

Shuttle
    Chaintech
    (OC champ mb's back in Slot 1 / Socket 370 days)
    DFI (they had very nice OC capable mb's)
    Matsonic
    Abit
    (one of my favotite OC mb's brand back in Socket A/462 era)
    (God, save me from these! #1) PC Chips
    QDI
    back in Socket 478 era
    (God, save me from these! #2) Zida Tomato
    Soyo
    back in Socket 370 era
    (God, save me from these! #3) EliteGroup (short: ESC)

Everyone who survived working with #1, #2 & #3 should get benefited length of service, almost the same as firefighters, coal miners... :)

edit
    Yes, we're old... but only on paper ;)

SamuelL421 and Airbud like this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i remember intel 8088... (no it's not a typing error lol)

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  14. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    If only I could find the damn power cable.....and this one is really made in Japan !! Can´t believe how old I am.

It´s a shame, and I can´t find the "mouse" anymore, which was sticked right hand side to the "Laptop" and looked more like a "trackball" than a mouse....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  15. Božo Kaurić

Božo Kaurić Member

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 2060
    I had an XT ;)

16. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Soyo and Abit were my favorites. I picked up a gem from the thrift store last year of a new-in-box Soyo KT400 ultra for a "new" socket A build sometime in the near future :)

You don't happen to have any more pics of this rig or a build log do you? That would be cool to check out if so!