GeForce RTX 3080 Ti achieves 58MH/s Hash Rate on Ethereum

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  2. devicenull

devicenull Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2080 Super
    It's a start I guess, but in China, etc they obviously don't care about the power usage/cost... So yeah wonder if it actually has a real impact?

3. colindawg

colindawg Member

GPU:
    It's pretty saf I can't get excited for graphics cards anymore knowing that they are immediately unattainable.

Keitosha, jbscotchman and DirtyMiners like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    why are they cutting it in half ? cut it in tenth.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Dragam1337 and Neo Cyrus like this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Cut aaaaaaaaallllllllllll the way... I have no interest in "making" Elon Sperm Coins or Titcoin or even Cumrocket Crypto... I just want to be able to purchase a video card that is made for video games

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Honestly I'd just disable its ability to mine Eth, along with a giant list of other crypto since people just mine anything and have it converted automatically anyway.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not possible. It blocks it based on detecting it's workload (for ETH it's extremely memory bound with high random access operations). But what if a different application that's not mining looks the same? Now you can't run that either?

Further ETH will probably just pivot of this becomes a real issue for them. The entire point of ETH was to decentralize it away from ASIC units and make it minable on consumer hardware, to keep it in the hands of regular people and not large companies. If this actually becomes an issue and affects ETH mining to a large degree, they'll just fork it again and push it towards something that looks more like a gaming workload.

__hollywood|meo, EspHack and Undying like this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    that just means they have to buy and use more cards. The only way this will end is to make it so that the card blows in a giant bll of fire if it's used for mining. Unless they buy the mining specific cards.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I know how it works. The opposite seems more likely. It's all the easier to block mining considering it's going after specific targets running rather than a general approach for detecting what mining is.

Not only is it possible, expect it to become reality eventually if things keep going down the current path.
    Those who run eth have been talking out of their assholes for years. They will do nothing to avoid problems in the market, it was made purely for themselves to not have to worry about buying ASICs so they can just hoard consumer GPUs to get their greed on. They were the primary cause of the shitfest a few years ago, they did absolutely nothing to alleviate the issue, and they've been saying they'll definitely switch to proof of stake this time around for years now.

The switch to proof of stake will never happen until mining Eth becomes severely crippled through force, whether that's nVida/AMD/Intel forcing the issue, or when politicians start finally banning mining.

Dragam1337 and Kaarme like this.
  10. Not enough. Put location tracking algorithm inside these GPUs, alert an army whenever somebody starts crypto miner and send a few balistic rockets towards that place! Solved :)

Silva likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know what your saying here. Nvidia doesn't block specific work - they target workloads that resemble ethereum mining. You can't block the specific work orders - because it's easily changed.

Huh? I'm saying they will fork the code to avoid the hash limiter and you're saying they won't because they are greedy? Wouldn't greedy people want to avoid the hash limiter if everything else you're saying is true?...

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They said they do? And even if that's not the case it doesn't matter. nVidia have cockblocked various workloads (like cutting DPFP performance into 1/16th) throughout their entire history, that's the entire reason why their "professional" cards exist, artificial made up market to milk more money. Even if they screw up an accidentally block something they didn't mean to, that can be addressed in an update. Everyone has to eat crap and take the 1/16th speed, or pay up.

You're making it sound like there's some magic power preventing crypto from being blocked by the manufacturers. If they really want to push for it, they can do it and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Just like they did to create the market for their pro cards.
    Not really what I'm saying I was just going off on a tangent. They can't so easily fork it considering the fork may never achieve the same value as it's currently at. They can't just make one, and declare it's worth as much as Eth. If they're cornered that much they might actually switch to proof of stake.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Ion cannon lunch detected :p

Keitosha and Silva like this.
  15. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Twitter leaks. AIB cards, 2000-2700$ :( Good luck getting one at msrp, fantastic card for gamers. Couple days ago i saw a 120+ gpu rich miner mining for fun... Today i did read a 1200+ gpu miner... 1200+ , 1 person. Fingers crossed for 3080ti 3070ti and 3050ti/3050...

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Good movie that.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    All the Elon Sperm Coin miners be like.

[​IMG]

Maddness likes this.
  18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    wouldnt this make miners buy twice as many cards?

afaik the card just runs at half power when it detects mining, so its just wasted space, not wasted energy, if anything this means cards would run cooler and last longer

Undying likes this.
  19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This is just marketing play from NGreedia.
    End of the day, all they care is profit.

Solfaur and Dragam1337 like this.
  20. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well... yes. It's a corporation. Profit is its sole reason for existence.

Solfaur likes this.