How do I install a new bootloader on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, May 16, 2021.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hey all, hoping someone can give me some wisdom.

I kind of wrecked a lot of stuff some weeks ago and I've been steadily putting it back together, and while I now have my drives and partitions (mostly) how I want them, I'm unable to reboot in safe mode because msconfig has nothing under the 'boot' tab - in short, there is no entry at all and all the options are greyed out and I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing with EasyBCD either.

How do I safely rebuild a proper boot loader (DISM 64 happily lets me rebuild the bootmgr but that's not rebuilding the boot config data) with the proper Windows 10 entry so I can manipulate etc?

DISM64 also sees an old Windows 10 install entry, so in fact sees two OSs I can repair, but one of them is completely redundant.

I tried the guides online but they didn't seem to play ball at all.

Is there any easy way of doing it?

My system is UEFA and the drives are all GPT bar one data drive which is MBR.

Appreciate any advice.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what does "reagentc /enable" do?

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
  4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hi Pimp, thanks for the reply - the problem wasn't the loader, it was the disk partitions were completely broken beyond repair. I had to wipe the whole system drive out and all the broken partitions on there (data all backed up of course) and let window 10 install rebuild it all clean. Works flawlessly now and the disk all looks healthy.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I'm glad to hear to you got it all fixed. Sometimes the partitions can just get all messed up, and all you can do is a clean install.