RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Time Spy Extreme stress is the one that causes me the most trouble. Had to lower my clocks even further to get it stable. Now sitting on 2695Mhz (~2640 in-game) and I suspect it might go down with further runs:(.

2. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Try Time Spy Extreme if possible to test OC futher.

3. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Ah, I was doing regular Time Spy and Port Royal so Port Royal was the heavier workload. I will try out Time Spy Extreme to see how I fare.

My failures came down to my clock spikes and once I sorted it out so it couldn't spike then I became completely stable. You can tell exactly where it failed and look back on the info line to see if it coincides with a regular jump in clocks. That was my problem in Port Royal where it would spike to 2550mhz at one point and it would eventually fail at that exact jump, anywhere from 4-17 loops in, so I had to make my clocks max 2500mhz. Once doing that the clocks no longer spiked at that one spot in the test and I had zero failures. I also kept myself to 1050v as that gives me much more stable clocks. I could have upped my voltage and kept my clocks higher in WatMan but that just gave me higher clock spikes, lower overall (average) clocks, and much worse fluidity / frame time stability.

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    AsiJu likes this.
  4. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    I have been trying to get stable clocks above 2650MHz on my reference 6900XT but it just won't work. Sometimes it works on 2700MHz but then would fail later on same or worse frequencies (Time Spy ).

Could providing too much power be the issue as it may cause this 600W plus spikes?

5. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    So a general question: What are the idle voltages for people on their cards? Mine hovers around ~1.087mv at 0% GPU load. It sometimes shows 0.000mv as well.

6. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    6800 XT @ 1050v in WatMan. My voltage is 0 unless I am doing something desktop/browser related and it pops up to 956v. I don't know if it matters but my clock speed is 8-54mhz while idle and doing desktop or browser stuff.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Lowest voltage 0 consistently when idling (MSI 6800 XT Gaming X Trio).
    Voltage set to 1055 mV.

Btw to mention it here too also got that stupid driver via WU mid YouTube watching.
    For a moment I thought something bad happened when I lost display but then heard those device disconnected / connected sounds so guessed it was a forced driver update.

Glad to hear it was a mistake though.
    I did DDU and hide that update to be sure.

However mistake or not WU should know not to overwrite DISPLAY drivers when PC is in use ffs!

Godhand007 likes this.
  8. Scoty

Scoty Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4070 T
    I use for my 6800 XT MB 1025mV.

9. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Your sig shows a 3070. Are you a retailer holding multiple GPUs?

10. Scoty

Scoty Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4070 T
    No i have 6800 XT MB now.

11. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Leaving this here for anyone who might face the same issue:

I was having an issue with FreeSync. I was getting hitching and/or stutter while using FreeSync in games. This happened when the game was in borderless windows or full screen (FressSync does not work for me in windows mode). To resolve this I performed a Factory reset in Radeon Software. I know it sounds like a basic thing but this was bugging me for a while and it was resolved by doing a Factory Reset. Also, you can still apply your OC, etc. after the Factory Reset.

upload_2021-6-8_1-31-56.png

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ive had my freesync off for months. It was a flickering nightmare on my 5700xt. I just use enhanced sync and low input lag mode on my monitor.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Went to MicroCenter today, and they have 6900XT in stock by PowerColor... for $2200. Feh.

14. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Only chance I think is to hunt for 6900X on AMD site, to get it for MSRP. That's how I got one. I mean it's still overpaying as 6800XT is the sweet spot, but it's better than 2200$ or more.

I was wondering, does MPT write any info to the BIOS? I know there is an option to use RBE to change vBIOS, but does using MPT just to raise power limits write any info to the card? Or is it just OS?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    MPT only modifies registry values, it does not and cannot modify vBIOS.

16. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    6800 non-xt users: how is your best undervolt setting with 100% stable system and default frequency? can't read 58 pages :p

17. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Installed new drivers with FSR support but its seems that now MPT is not working. Anyone tested yet?

18. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    Thanks for info.
    I need to test it myself.
    If this is an issue then one need to report it the developers of MPT at Igor's Lab forum.

19. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Strange reverted back to 21.5 still MPT does not work. I change the power limit and hit write SPPT and IT says successfull but when I run 3dmark power limit is default 290W.

Used DDU in both installations.

20. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    Just a stupid question from me. :p
    Did you reboot the PC after applying MPT?
    PC need to be re-booted for new settings to work.