I think I've diagnosed a huge Nvidia problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Danny_G13, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Slightly related to this thread but my monitor hasn't been able to turn itself off after x minutes of inactivity for months now. Tried to google it but to no avail. My guess is some USB device and beta BIOS versions problem. I've not changed USB peripherals for quite some time now so it's not a hardware issue.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the motherboard bios has nothing to do with monitor sleep.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Doesn't that depend on what keeps it awake?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the monitor controls its own state once signal from the graphics card is cut, if theres a signal then the system isn't sleeping.
    no motherboard i know of can be asleep yet powering a graphics card.

PCIE has 3.3v and 12v but not 5vsb/5v lines (hence why pcie addin cards tend to not support WOL but pci/onboard does)

If the screen is awake though, this tends to suggest that the monitor is feeding power back into the graphics card and into the mobo via the 3.3v line.

Netherwind is talking about the system putting the monitor to sleep while powered on though too, again, motherboard bios wouldn't be a factor here.

Certain input controller drivers when paired with steam WILL keep the system from going to idle turn off though, i think a member here had an xbox 360 controller that wasn't allowing it, and i've experienced similar on my xbcd/mlg controller - but not my Xbone control with official drivers.

powercfg -requests is a good start

Theres also a utility i've seen that lists wake armed status but i can't for the life of me recall the name (and i know its on one of my computers)

Ah, System Wake Manager, but it doesn't do any of the powercfg request stuff.

Last edited: May 26, 2021

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You're correct, but what I meant was that if his monitor doesn't close, it means that the GPU never cuts off the signal, which could happen for a ton of reasons.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    True, almost all of them will turn up with powercfg queries though, its unheard of to have a case of a video driver keeping a display awake for one particular user but not any others though.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah that was probably me. it wasnt so much issue with 360 controller and the driver it was "3rd party" ifyoo controler that used 360 drivers. For some reason any driver after 2009 driver with 20h2 kept the monitor from going to sleep if controller was connected. when I installed the oldest 360 driver I could find in win 10 which was from 2009. that issue disappeared i have not gone back to 2019 drivers since. seeing everything is work correctly.

when talk to Ifyoo support could never find and "diffrence in 2009 driver and new drivers to cause or why the issue only appeared in 20h2 but they did see the same exact issue and said to use 2009 drivers for time being. I made report of to MS while back detail it all never heard anything back about it. my assumption was something that changed in 20h1 did like my controller with any driver other then 2009 driver that cause the issue. cayse every build prior worked fine with newest driver at the time. Maybe 21h1 fixed maybe it didnt but i not going down that rabbit hole. something in software changed imo

On topic though Sleep is buggy imo and has always has some sorta issue depending config/software/hardware/drivers. it why i stoped using long ago. the bugs art not worth to me . I shut my pc off every night when I go to sleep and turn on when I get up. 15 seconds to desktop usability not long.

Everyone use there pc the way they want some use sleep cause they need that 3 second. some dont I personal will never see appeal to if it dont work without bugs. I seriously have all suspend states disable via bios and manual disable hibernation and thing similar to it in windows.

I even remember have issue with Fastboot actual slow down my boot times and shutdown/restart times among other things which why it one first thing disabled.

My uncles has been using "sleep" in conjunction with turn off his pc at night for decades, along with liking to leave "multiple" games running in back ground and minimize to. and he as had random issue cause of across countless pc and I told way back then to stop using and it would stop and it did, but still does and just lives with it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Nah my pc is turned off daily, I have drives still working from 2007 in my PC though to be honest nothing important is on there and am damned if they are not WD as well which is a miracle for that time!