RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    There is lots of potential in these cards, but it heavily depends on the silicon lottery. Avg seems to be 2500Mhz, regardless of cooling.

2. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Your clocks are more stable. My card passed the Port Royal stress test with 97.8 %.

3. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    Run MPT, increase wattage and push it. At the very least you should be able to get to 2600MHz.

Godhand007 likes this.
  4. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Yeah, it's what I wanted. No drops below 2400MHz while fans are spinning at max 72% and junction temp is on 100c. Stable as it's gonna get while not running on 100% fan speed as I just cannot stand the noise. Managed to go over 10700 in Port Royale after adjusting clocks a little.
    Those cards are amazing to OC after their limits are removed. Best thing to do now would be to get a more beefy PSU and put the card on water. Beast would fly.
    Your card is better binned than mine, if you only managed to remove its temp limits by watering it, god knows what clocks would you achieve :D

5. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    It seems my clocks weren't stable for the Time Spy stress test. Had to lower it down 20 MHz more:(. Now passed Time Spy Extreme stress with 99.4 %. The latest score is 11147 (optimized run) or 11094 with normal desktop status. Junction temperature can reach 110 C. Fans don't bother me so that's a plus. I am not sure how binned my card is but it's better than average. If I was able to sustain 2700MHz then it would be a golden chip.

Do you want to see something curious? Here is the result that I got once (11 845). Can't reproduce it again though. This shows that 3dMark is not as reliable as we think.
    https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1052470

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    I personally can't stand when fans are running at full speed or close to it so I cannot push it further, maybe a little with better PSU. Other choice is to put in on water.

But those are some really nice scores. And can you pass full Time Spy benchmark? I can run Time Spy stress test all day, but somehow when I run the benchmark it almost always crashes on second test. Even when not playing with MPT, just by raising the power limit. On other tests it is stable, on other benchmarks like Superposition it's also stable.

Also what fps result are you getting in DXR Feature test. I saw that even in review on Guru3d its 29fps, while I'm getting 26. Even on new OC settings.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  7. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Yes, Though I have seen 3d Mark crashing randomly but if you get an AMD driver timeout error then it is probably an issue on the GPU side.

8. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Ok then that FPS would fit right with my 26. Maybe there was some update that makes it more taxing after the reviews of 6900XT were out.

Got a strange issue yesterday. Was just watching youtube when screen flashed a couple of times and then when I went to check the drivers they were reinstalled to version from 2020 (20.12 I think).
    Opened up MPT and default values were back. I've had uninstalled them with DDU and installed newest ones again, but did not ran MPT again yet. Don't know if that is related to MPT. I didn't do anything taxing, just watching a video.

9. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Windows update is probably the culprit. I had to waste quite some time yesterday when it installed a driver on its own.

10. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Oh then its not related to MPT. Then going back to raised Power Limit :D Also disabled installing drivers from Windows Update when I was using DDU.

11. Scoty

Scoty Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4070 T
    All RX6000 Cards get the driver over Windows Update. There some problem with the latest drivers.

Godhand007 likes this.
  12. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    But the ones that got installed on my system were old ones. 20.12 if I remember correctly. Also if you disable it with for example DDU it should not do it automatically.

13. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Windows driver updates are not necessarily the latest and complete versions (others can correct). Also, In my case, I had reinstalled windows recently which might have reset that option.

14. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Well it happened again just now. And this time I'm sure that I had Windows Update installating drivers disabled with DDU. So I'm not sure if it's not caused by MPT.

15. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Windows Update Installing Bad Drivers:

I spoke to a rep yesterday about the super old AMD driver installing over windows update. It is a mistake and they are working with MS to rectify the flaw. I got a super old driver from 2020 installed automatically two days ago and had to DDU and get 21.5.2 back on as most of my functionality was destroyed. Hopefully they will be fixing it soon. There is a reddit thread where the AMD rep was gathering all the hardware ids of the cards on people's systems that had the old driver get pushed to them.

OC Stability:

I wouldn't take Time Spy to be a good indicator of stability. I could run Time Spy stress test all day without issues and crash on the Port Royal stress test. I would definitely make sure you are Port Royal stable so you don't have problems with games down the line. I ended up tweaking my OC to get it stable on Port Royal and noticed in some games slight stuttering went away. I assume this was the driver crashing and recovering while playing where Port Royal will error out of the test if a crash is detected. AMD has made their drivers quite resilient against crashing where I think most people will just think their games stutter/hitch a bit if they are not 100% stable but that is actually crashing and recovering in some scenarios. Now everything is buttery smooth for me in the games I had problems with after getting my system Port Royal stress test stable.

AsiJu likes this.

16. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Found the reddit thread. So it's not MPT after all. Read there that disabling driver updates in group policy editor will stop it from happening, did that, we'll see how it goes.

17. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    About OC OC Stability:
    It's reverse for me. I have Port royal stress test stable OC which fails on the Time Spy Extreme stress test.

18. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    We have to be careful about bias during debugging hardware issues or it can lead one down a quagmire.

19. HaggyGT

HaggyGT Guest

GPU:
    6800 XT Red Devil
    Same.

Port royal stable, Time spy isn't at same clocks.

20. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    I can pass both Port Royal stress test and Time Spy stress test, while if I run Time Spy benchmark it crashes on second test. It happened even before raising the power limit in MPT. On everything else it is stable, Superposition, Fire Strike Ultra, Quake II RTX, Metro, Cyberpunk.

Also raised power limit a bit more to 290W in MPT. Now it runs at mostly ~2500Mhz, sometimes dipping to ~2480. Fans run at max 80% and junction temp reaches at max 103-104c.