Alleged specifications of AMD AM5 emerge: slightly bigger than Intels counterpart and DDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra, tunejunky and Evildead666 like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    AM4 gave us unmatched generation support, let's hope that the forthcoming AM5 will provide the same support across CPU generations.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    It's not like AM5 can't support PCIe 5, just maybe not in the beginning.
    It probably consumes quite a lot of power as well at the moment.
    It's just an I/O Die change.

The only place we're maxing out PCIe4 is in the Storage area, and even then, i'm not sure it's being maxed out anywhere other than Benchmarks, and maybe consoles.

What i'm more interested in, is what the extra Pins bring.
    I'm not sure if DDR5 needs more pins, and it shouldn't need more power pins than AM4, so are we getting more PCIe lanes, or something ?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Pcie5 will probably come with future refreshes. Not that we saturated pcie4 yet.

Im kinda glad i still didnt upgrade my 2700x. Saving up for a new platform would be smartest thing than getting an overpriced zen3 cpu. Next year will be interesting indeed.

schmidtbag and Aztec2Step like this.

5. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Most of the CPU's pinout is dedicated for power/ground supply. DDR5 requires only few additional contacts over DDR4 and PCIe is even more "ascetic", so most of the new pins are to provide better power supply for high TDP SKUs.
    By the way, that "dual-channel DDR5" from the tweet is a bit misleading, since each DDR5 DIMM is already dual channel per definition.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    For me im glad i upgraded to zen 3 and a new rtx cards, im mostly a gamer and with the new console that just came out, i shouldnt need to upgrade for a while to get a good gaming experience, probably not until the next gen of consoles

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i hope i can finally gete a 5800x at a good price.

8. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    Same here, my 2700X has still got a lot of living to do!

Undying likes this.
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    finally retiring pins
    took them long enough

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I couldn't care less that it's still on PCIe 4.0. It's going to be many years until that isn't enough for desktop use. Sure, I think some M.2 drives could squeeze a little more performance, but honestly, even PCIe 3.0 drives can be faster than what most real-world applications demand. SAM can theoretically take advantage of more bandwidth, but so far we still don't seem anywhere close to GPUs being bottlenecked by PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.

Get me to wonder... why now? AMD has done LGA in the past (for servers). Seem to me it's just an easy way to trigger RMAs.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Undying
    so MSRP is now "overpriced"?
    (ignoring that almost every shop i checked, has it on sale around 40-50$ below that).

12. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I highly doubt it. X370 support for Ryzen 5000 series was a giant mess. If anything, AMD has shown recently that just like any other big company, given the opportunity they will flex their power and position to do what is most profitable for them at the expense of the consumer. I suspect 2, maybe 3 generations of CPUs supported per chipset with no vague long-term support statement this time around.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    More power available would leave the door open for a more powerful iGPU as well. If DDR5 can clock as high as they say, it would help iGPUs. But I reckon that also depends on how powerful iGPUs Intel will install in the future, especially with Intel entering the discrete graphics markets as well. If Intel doesn't do much, I doubt AMD will either, as long as they stay a little bit above. AMD would also love to sell more GPUs as well, not only APUs. Mobile processors are a different thing, perhaps.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The interesting thing is, AMD currently has the resources and time to develop a long-term socket like AM4, especially now that the Zen architecture is much more mature. I can't imagine they're going to pull off another 15% performance increase. So, although you may be right that, as a company, they might not have a long-term socket, now is the best time for them to do it.
    However, they ought to not make any promises like they did with AM4.

15. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Ahah, peasants ! I am still with my 6700K and gladly enjoy it. We're lacking good GPUs with the shortage, but even old CPU manage today game pretty well, unless you want to play games at 1080p/244+fps.
    I might take a look at Zen 4 to replace my PC, but i am nore in need of a good GPU rather than a CPU for my day to day usage.

Aztec2Step and Undying like this.

16. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    How many people actually utilized the possibility? I upgraded from R7 1700 to R5 5600X, so I had to upgrade mobo as well (MSI B350M Mortar). When you check what various mobos actually support, you realize the upgrade path is not that convincing. The thing is, VRM requirements rose up like expected when moving to the next generation, so for example B350 mobos will not do well with the best possible Ryzen 5000 (hence, no support). In addition, my B350 board only offers beta BIOS to support Ryzen 3000 series, which has admittedly been pretty much problem free, but in the end is support like this really proper? Would be different if AMD let manufacturers offer support freely or not, but they indeed hassled with AGESA updates, so offering longer support was not a valid option. Now we are left wondering if the new socket will offer any better support.
    I'm still glad we got what we got and I bet some people upgraded from 1000 series to 3000, but other upgrade options really don't net that high gains. Maybe going from R5 2600/3600 to 12+ core 5000 part could be a legit option (on 400 chipset), but you still won't have PCIE4, which is rather important already with next GPUs.

Summary: Any support is better than nothing, but often support of three gens forward is needed to really net proper gains without paying significantly more for the new CPU. I expect the first 'AM5' mobos to offer support at least one gen forward, but beyond that revising memory controller and stuff like that might prove problematic for further support.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  17. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    Speak for yourself, serf! I am the proud owner of an RX 6800 (non-XT), and I didn't pay too much over the odds for it when I got it back at the end of January! :D (The sale of my Vega 56 also helped halve the cost... :eek: )