AMD files possible patent for NVIDIA DLSS alternative called Gaming Super Resolution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Noisiv and Maddness like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    With my level of understanding the convolutions in that description made sure I couldn't get even an approximation of the general idea behind the technique.

BlindBison, Aztec2Step and Vananovion like this.
  3. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I concur. The corpus of the explanation is more condensed and non-linear than conventional explanations.

BlindBison, Aztec2Step and Kaarme like this.
  4. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    Filed in 2019 they have been hard at work good luck hope it levels the field

Noisiv and Maddness like this.

5. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    I find the condensation of images on my spectacles is filtering out precisely what layers I thought I was supposed to be condensing.

Vananovion and Kaarme like this.
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    If only RX6000 and above cards can use it, damn. Hopefully at least RX5000 cards can use it too, people really need this to uplift performance and extend hardware life.

pedropaulo and cryohellinc like this.
  7. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    It was said before that the tx series will be able to use it

8. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Latest MLID video shed some light to FSR.

[​IMG]

Silva, Undying and Loobyluggs like this.
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hopefully. Soon.
    That was last thing that nvfanboy could yell at u, "it doesn't have dlss!".
    Like DLSS was perfect from start and even now can degrade picture.
    Wish there would be in driver switch, not per game basis though...
    And while I prefer AMD cards, was long user NV cards too, had bunch of them both sides through 20+ years, like 5+ each side. Damn, had even i740 card at some point.

Undying likes this.
  10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Some people seem to believe that as soon as a new class of GPUs is "announced" it obsoletes the GPU they are currently using. DItto, CPUs, and etc. My recent monitor purchase has opened my eyes as to that particular fallacy--Believe it or not, if you keep your RX-5k series product, or your nVidia RTX-2k GPU, and spend the money on a splendiforous Wide Color Gamut/DisplayHDR 1000 VESA-certified monitor, instead, your graphics enjoyment will be greater--greater--than using your current dull monitor with an RTX-3k/RX-6K GPU. I feel exactly as though I have installed a much newer/better GPU when all I've done is to install a much better monitor! Considering what my previous opinion was concerning my former monitor, a BenQ EW-3270U HDR10 4k monitor, I am amazed by just how dull that BenQ appears contrasted to this Philips Momentum.

The image quality is so good that all of my SDR games now look as if they are running in a very nice HDR mode on the BenQ--courtesy of the Wide Color Gamut, and the true HDR mode creates image quality so good that I catch myself often just "looking around" when playing--it's never looked even close to this good before. This is decidedly not a case in which if you put the monitors side-by-side and didn't label them you couldn't tell the difference...;) It's more like night and day. I can't recommend a Wide Color Gamut, True HDR, 4k monitor in this class enough! My 5700XT Ann Ed drives the monitor in these modes in 4k wonderfully. (IE, had I not bought this monitor I would never have known what my 5700XT was capable of.)

A monitor like this should be on everyone's short list, imo!

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

easier to implement than simply dropping a plugin like DLSS is doing?
    hmm..

shareholders don't...
    but consoles kinda need it
    so there's a good chance it will be supported on 5000 cards. And even working on Nvidia (or even supported, if its really open source )

Looking forward to this. But not holding my breath :)

Maddness likes this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    While I also like them, the Momentum monitors still got a few short comings, so they might not be the best pick for everyone.
    They use a VA panel, which isn't ideal in a bright room, viewing angles are limited if one needs that and the surface reflects a lot as well.
    HDR is far from as good when you compare it to their top line TV's, the HDR1000 also drops a lot pretty fast, in my opinion no monitor deserves a certificate for something it can't provide constantly, VESA should really think about tightening up on their requirements.
    I got a 43" myself, replaced it with a G32QC on my main machine since 43" is to much on my desk besides 4K still being hard to drag, the curved 32" works better for my eyes and delivers as well when it comes to SDR content in a dark room.
    Had several IPS monitors, while looking much better in brighter rooms they all look milky and dull in dark rooms compared to the newer VA panels.

I would definitely recommend anyone looking for a new monitor look up at RTings recommendations and read trough the tests, since there really isn't any monitor for all situations.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Right now I'm in the land : i believe it when i see it.

14. gloves085

gloves085 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    ^^This, it often amazes me that some gamers shell out for the best HW they can afford and then skimp on the IO devices, and by that I mean Keyboard/Mouse, Headset/Speakers and Monitor. What good is a <insert Red/Green/Blue Team best HW here > driving a shitty display using in built in speakers with a $10 mouse and a membrane keyboard?

15. gloves085

gloves085 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Also, I really hope the AMD Open Source iteration has the same impact Freesync did. Their Gfx cards might be a little behind in some areas atm, but this could really level the playing field and that's great for everyone!!

Undying and Venix like this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    0 hype till i see it in action .

@gloves085 what is wrong with a membrane keyboard? I can not stand the sound of mechanical keyboards and i am no mlg gamer neither i will become on my 33 :p

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    sound of mechanical keyboard varies alot from key to key . I dont like loud ones too , i use Logitech G314 , it is amazing ( simple and not loud :).

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    After using and owning Chery MX keyboards, as well as a few Topre keyboards, I can never see myself going back to membrane type keyboard, no sirree! As for noise, you can always go with MX Red, MX Brown, MX Black (among my fav MX switches) or Topre (I have six Topre keyboards which I rotate along with my Cherry MX keyboards).

As for gears that commensurate with hardware like GPU, I'm one of those who believe in getting devices that go well with my setup, I have a 144Hz 32:9 Freesync 2 monitor, great audio in the iFi Micro iDSD + various headphones, plus an LG soundbar for when I wanna hear and feel the gunfire and explosions. Good sound and PQ can get quite immersive which is what we strive for as gamers.

19. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I concur.
    6000 cards are harder to find then a virgin in a house of ill reputation that provides sexual services to men, and or women, that are available, physically mentally and financially to acquire them.
    Therefore, allowing 5000 user to access this marvellous innovation would compensate the inability to access a 6000 card, and to have a glimpse to the pleasures of those more fortunate then them.
    A sort of voyeurism if you will

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think it´s a question of experience. We can only aprecciate the difference between a good screen or some fine speakers after tasting them.

I know this because i was the same. My first monitor was the one that could fit a small budget and until one or two years ago, my speakers were the shitty ones i had since i´ve bought my first machine, more then 12 years ago...

Then i decided to buy a new screen, asked for advice here, and splashed 500€ on it, something crazy for me. But then when i startet using my UW on all it´s glory, i was simply blown away, such was the difference.

The same with the speakers, i decided to buy a new set, asked here again here for advice, and setteld for some lovely Audioengine A2+. Again an world of difference between them and my old shitty speakers...

So for, it´s really a question of experiencing the good stuff and see the (huge) difference between some crappy/decent output devices and some good or very good ones.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    GoldenTiger and Aztec2Step like this.