Kozary's Quad SLI & RTX NVLink Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kozary, Dec 21, 2020.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Giacon9222, Please visit my 4-way sli thread as well, lots of invaluable info, if you look at my latest post, I got a video up: DSIII+Reshade, have a look please, thanks.

pharma likes this.
  2. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    I started a new project on a game called Shattered: Tale of the Forgotten King (unreal engine 4) and my system has had a little upgrade I accidentally bought a 4th GPU for Quad SLI.

Starting off in this game with a lot of anomalies and flickering very similar to remnant from the ashes. Easily fixed with some SLI Hacks and the main issue im having with this game is reshade makes quad sli hang, the main thing holding scaling back in this game is that bus usage is very high but i am still trying to tune around that. Very early stages.

Just from the beginning area i have these results in 4k 200% render scale;
    single 25fps
    triple 65fps
    quad 86fps (crashed after about 20sec from reshade)

All graphical anomalies are under control at least in the first area. Scaling is not to shabby going to start playing the game now and see how it goes looks like fun and if it is i will be interested in taking this project further. But yes SLI does work in this game with average scaling and no issues so far.

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Didn't know about this game, checked out the trailer, another Dark Souls kinda game eh?

Doesn't seem to shabby.

So your moving into the Quad Sli realm??? Your Courage is stronger then Steel, Lets keep Sli in general alive as much as we can.

Thank you for your commitment in helping Sli, yet Alone, Tri-Sli and above alive.

Great to see more people coming into the bandwagon, Excellent, and great work on the game.

Curious about this Shattered game, what is your current working bits like? Any changes within the .ini file for this game? As I have quite a bit of experience working UE4 game under 4-Way Sli.

Also any changes to the 8 - Extra or the unknown ID settings?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Kozary likes this.
  4. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Changes to the .ini are minimal i did the typical start with everything off and worked my way up to max settings while retaining scaling and tried the usual list of tweaks with no gains to be had.

No changes to broadcast any tweaking in here makes bad anomalies or kills the scaling to single GPU.

Compatability - 0x0A00E0F5

the 2nd hex dosent matter to much it seems tried 8-C same results helps scale the game, the 5th hex set on 2 or E helps scaling a lot havent tested it much but E gains 5fps for a tiny flicker occasionally and i can live with that.

SLI Hack - 0x69000000

1st hex gets the game scaling otherwise single gpu performance, 2nd hex stops graphically anomalies. I think further tuning here will get the game to where it needs to be.

No other bits set, completely blank nvidia profile.

If u got any advice about lowering bus bandwidth usage that would save me a heap of time tuning. Also have you ever had issues with reshade and quad SLI? But again this is still early tuning, i got the game running well in triple SLI so i can play further into it and then start tuning more seriously.

Cheers

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Question in concerning about your Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits, if you are indeed using a Quad Sli Setup, setting it the First Hex digit to 0 after the x(0x0), Quad Sli will simply will not work period.

There is others will work like setting to like letter A and such but I always have it to digit 8, works perfectly, if its tri-sli or under, Leaving it to Digit 0 and setting the Sli Rendering mode to Autoselect will also works as well, You can also set it like this and it will work as well: 0x2<<~~ 1st hex to digit 2, but My strongest recommendation, 2-way/3-way sli, leave it to digit 0(0x0).

Yes, there is bypasses in certain games, for instance, in my latest 4-way project: DSIII+Reshade, I can use other methods for scaling to work, Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x0000000<<~~ 7th hex down, when set to Letter E, but I am not using that, but just giving an example.

In some games, All three Bits(Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11), Sli Broadcast (DX1x) & the Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x), certain hex on all 3 of those bits, certain ones, needs to be tuned properly, or else scaling will not even kick in at all, I mentioned this in some past games I work on, one simply can not be left out, otherwise scaling will not work period. Edit: correction here, you can leave it to either digits: 0 or 2 if your sli rendering mode is set to either: Autoselect, AFR or AFR2, in some games, AFR or AFR2 won't work properly but Autoselect will defin't work.

Also in regards about the Sli Specific hacks (DX1x), First hex after the x(0x0<<~~), this will play a very key role in igniting your Sli in general, it all depends on the game, Some games, it is required for sli to even work at all, generally Digit: 8,9 or the letters A,B,C,D, or the letter: E, I would go through all of those to see how specific game will behave, 2nd hex down: 0x00<<~~, some games will give somewhat of a booster here but some games its not needed.

Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits plays(In general) an incredible importance in many ways, for example:

Graphical Anomaly Control, Overall scaling potential, Frametime, Frame Pacing, and so on, I can not stress this enough in regards about tuning this specific section, but certain games don't really need it, but for the most part, it is very strongly recommend, especially under a quad setup, needs to be tuned properly, so please tune accordingly, many thanks.

Also, UE4 based games in general, through out my incredible ordeal of doing massive amounts of tuning, tuning the engine.ini, I can not stress how important it is to tune this section while under 4-way sli, I mean, look at my Mechwarrior V or My Mortal Shell tuning, speaks very heavy volumes here, and yes, it is absolutely required otherwise it will not work no where near as I would hope for, kings of lorn is the same as well here.

Also, just for your reference, since I see you are very serious into this, working on UE4 is extremely versatile, as any problems on my end while tuning under 4-way sli, I can go through so many parameters and variables within the engine.ini that it ain't even funny but also means a very great deal of time here, so this here is only for very serious Sli Tuners, you simply won't have no time to be playing any games.

I use this as an reference to help with my tuning:

http://www.kosmokleaner.de/ownsoft/UE4CVarBrowser.html

I only use certain things that I feel needs to be added within the engine.ini, if I feel some kind of suspicion about certain things or whatnot, that's where I start doing some tuning in this area, yes, there is lots, and that's why I love about DX11 Api based, UE4 games, you can tune the hell out of it, Absolutely wonderful to work with but man, talk about tons and tons of time spent on this, absolute insanity, but again, if anyone is extremely serious into this, then they will do it, believe me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  6. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Shattered: Tale of the Forgotten King

Broadcast - 0x80000001
    Compatibility - 0x8A0020F5
    SLI Hack - 0x69000B00

Modications to engine.ini:
    [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
    r.ScreenPercentage=100
    r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
    r.VolumetricFog=0
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1

[SystemSettings]
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0

GameUsersettings.ini:
    [ScalabilityGroups]
    sg.ResolutionQuality=100.000000
    sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
    sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
    sg.ShadowQuality=2
    sg.PostProcessQuality=3
    sg.TextureQuality=3
    sg.EffectsQuality=1
    sg.FoliageQuality=3
    sg.ShadingQuality=3

Scaling 5k res with reshade:
    single - 23-26fps
    triple - 66-72
    270-280% scaling TripleSLI

Scaling 5k res:
    single - 29 - 32
    4way - 94-102
    320% scaling QuadSLI

Finished the game from beginning to end with Quad SLI was a very enjoyable experience.

Anomalies - very light flicker in some areas, one heavy flicker in one specific location that you only walk past. Teleporting can cause textures to go missing and requires a reload, depends on area. This could be totally avoided in 2way SLI.

This game is very un-optimized for the CPU, this issue is mainly present in the game's overworld ancient lands and one level has it at the very beginning as you walk through the gate otherwise spot on performance.

This is a small indie game but its a lot of fun been really enjoying this one reminds me of oldschool games. Easily one of the better games I have played lately.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Question have ever tried your the quad 980ti sli with my personal sli testing game of choice with my own custom made bits?

Rise of tomb raider?

If not, your in for a Way Beyond Insanity Experience, let me know what you think of it, you might have to crank the SSA to like X2, but yes, please go to my Rise of Tomb Raider Posts, on the final conclusion of that game, you should see a complete list down of my bits, make sure you use the same in-game settings as well, certain place you can use shadows but strongest recommendations is to turn it off.

Yes, the game works with 4x980ti's and also Off Topic but still pertains to Quad Sli: 4Xtitan Xps(Heard that right).

If I never tested the game with 4x980ti's, I would not be asking you to test it on your side, just heads up on it, yes, works perfectly on my side, thanks again.

EDIT:

In regards about in game AF, I also notice under Quad Sli, AF seems to hit the games performance quite a bit at X16, If I remembered correctly, I had it @ X0 while I was doing my final testing, think it was this game or MechWarrior V, can't remember exactly, in any case, take a look up on my ROTR posts, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  8. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Does not work in 4way or single GPU (sli disabled) same crash saying i do not have the resources to run it on those settings. 3way seemed to be working fine.

Edit forgot i had compute performance enabled this caused it to crash, but even after disabling i don't think the game is working right. ~50fps in 5k negative scaling (1440p ssaa4x). Using same settings as yours it would seem your 970s are doing better. Might troubleshoot this a little more.

Small update on Shattered

SLI Broadcast -0x80000001 Helps bring up the overall scaling and brings back the missing walls just from a quick test only had about 5mins. Seems to be scaling drag in certain areas of this game however i never noticed because i don't dip under 100fps in 4k. Speaking of which 4way SLI is now fully functional it just did not give any scaling benefits in the tested area.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I also forgot to say this eariler, Each location, might need a bit change in the bits while your on Rise of Tomb Raider, again, its on my final conclusion of that game(Revisited game), Areas Like Glacier,etc, some stuff within the broadcast bits is changed due to performance and such.

Have you checked out the final conclusion to my latest game? DSIII + Reshade? I have all the graphs and videos up, please when you have time, take a look, thanks.

Link to DSIII + Reshade, Final conclusion, 3 parts:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/my-experience-with-4-way-sli-thus-far.425674/page-43

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. BlackAce21

BlackAce21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 8GB SLI
    Hi, I wanted to ask if there are any SLI profiles for the following games: Batman Arkham Knight, Control Ultimate Edition (Dx11)

11. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Yes for batman pretty sure it has a default one and custom ones.

As for Control use quantum breaks SLI profile which can be found on 3DCenter SLI thread however this is just a guess i have no idea if it actually works. I'm not a fan of 3DCs profiles as most of them dont work well and are just stopgap solutions with no tuning but it's better then nothing.

12. BlackAce21

BlackAce21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 8GB SLI
    Hi, thx for replying. Arkham Knight unfortunately doesn't have a default one and I couldn't find custom ones that worked. I already tried the 3DCs one for Control but the uplift is pretty small, the usage never hits 100% with VSync Off and there a some minor visual glitches. Are there any bits / combinations I could try for these games? I'm not really well versed when it comes to SLI bits (my approach is usually to either search for already existing ones or try bits that worked in games with the same engine). I was hoping that I'd find some advice here.

13. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Start with other UE3 engine based games for Batman and also try different ingame settings, im actually interested in trying Arkham Knight myself so i'll see if i can make a profile for it. As far as i know UE3 tuning has limited info.

14. BlackAce21

BlackAce21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 8GB SLI
    Hi,so I tried some bits for Arkham Knight and Control but wasn't really successful. Seems like the biggest problem in Arkham Knight is to get rid of the severe flickering with bits that scale and make it work with the Physx features in the game.

15. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    As for Batman there is no working profile right now 3DC thread said there is no hope lol.

Anyways i had a crack at it with 3way SLI and it scales pretty well and has drag in some areas in the main world a 980ti benches 43fps and i get 70-150fps in 4k so there is a lot of room for improvement. Flickering i took care of pretty quickly, some still remains but it goes away once things have streamed in so i would put that down to minor issue. Benchmark does not flicker.

I have not actually played the game just loaded the world and ran around in it for about 1min really didnt have much time to spend. Seems playable but i would say most of the tuning is in the games settings not in the bits at a guess. Which i have not played with much at all.

ingame settings - AA off

Ini cfg-
    Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config\BMgame.ini

Change these two values to this to mitigate flickering
    bShouldGenerateSimpleLightmaps=TRUE
    bUseNormalMapsForSimpleLightMaps=FALSE

my 3way bits stand as
    broadcast 0x0000000C
    compat 0x0A0120F5
    Hack 0x60000000

^Work in progress.

Thats all i have time for today, main focus next time i tune is getting rid of the scaling drag and yes using 4th GPU as a dedicated Physx card works fine. I have not even looked at 2 or 4way yet if i ever do. 3way is SLI master race.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I have worked on Batman: Arkham Knight way back when I started the 4-way sli project, back in 2019, Great game.

I might go back onto this game in the future.

17. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Its defs very SLIable as a game and it does look good. Did u have any notes left from your 4way project? seems like would be a breeze being UE3.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I only got so far due to the flashing missing textures,etc.

I remember when I worked on it before, I had managed to keep alot of it under control, after sometime, I left to go another game, I can't remember to much, there might be some stuff on my thread about this game, I only gotten so far into that game, its one of my earlier projects, If I remembered correctly, it scaled very well but the certain flashing anomalies where very hard to control.

I'll take a look at it one of the days.

19. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink

Also I did notice anomalies may be tied to framerate because it alters the way textures are loaded in and i did not notice any missing or flashing textures at 30fps but it takes longer to load in the textures over 100fps and they flash while they are in the unloaded/blurry state for me. I'm going to look into it further. The flickering definitely goes away once i start moving around i just have drag spots which are pretty severe.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Just heads up, I am now in processing of re-download Batman: Arkham Knight.

Again, my main, absolute focus is on Warhammer 40k: Inquistor - Martyr and the misc game: Black Desert Online.

I will be looking at this game once more and yes, last time I played this game is on: Oct of 2019, quite awhile ago.

Look for it on my thread for the latest updates about this game.

Thanks again.