GPU usage goes from 0-100% (Really Need help)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ForgottenMythz, May 17, 2021.

1. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    I brought My PC last year on the 1st of January 2020, however, since then I wasn't really able to play games properly on the pc due to exams and other problem recently I have started playing heavy games on my pc and have noticed severe lag (I have posted a video exhibiting the lag) Link:- GPU usage fluctuating. - YouTube

MY PC SPECS ARE:-
    CPU - I7 3770S
    GPU- RX 580
    HDD- 500GB (Games are running from HDD)
    SSD- 128GB (OPERATING SYSTEM IS ON SSD)
    Mobo- H61 Dual slot
    Ram - 8GB (4x2)
    Power supply- 550W Silverstone

THINGS I HAVE TRIED

1. Reinstalling the windows
    2. Updating the drivers ( i deleted them also then reinstalled them)
    3. Watched every video on the internet and trying what they say yet of no use
      4. Tried playing on different settings like ultra, high, medium, low etc.tried it with VSYNC On and off
      NOTE:- it happens in all games like horizon zero dawn, assassin's creed origins, Forza horizon 4 etc
    NOTE:- I have like run GPU benchmarks yet it shows 100% usage in them and it does not fluctuate in them and secondly the frametime also fluctuate when GPU usage spikes

MSI AFTERBURNER GRAPHS - HHD (HARD DRIVE) SSD (SOLID STATE DRIVE)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Would really Appreciate any type of help. Thank you in advance for taking time out of your life and helping me. PEACE!

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is the power supply sufficient for such a system?

If that was my system the minimum wattage I would consider would be 650w Gold.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Monitor ram use, you might be running out.
    8GB isnt always enough.
    Afterburner can graph this.

ps are you using vsync, gsync etc?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Did you enable that unified gpu monitoring under the amd options? Also, 8gb system ram is not gonna cut it, 16gb minimum this days.

5. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Yes Sir the powersupply is sufficient i have my friend who have the same power supply and he face no lag (he have same pc as me)
    And i also did my research so everyone says 550w will be enough

6. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    A
    I am not using Vsyn,gysnc etc). I tried it with fps limiter however still did not fix it
    and are you sure it could be lack of ram cause i when playing games the processor (17 3770s) temp goes high to like 80degree (i live in a hot city its 42 degree here) and the CPU usage goes to likes 90% but it spikes alot like 30% to 90%

7. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Yea i saw that video of "Unified Gpu" i tried everything but did not fix it and are you sure it could be due to lack of ram cause like i when playing games the processor (17 3770s) temp goes high to like 80degree (i live in a hot city its 42 degree here) and the CPU usage goes to likes 90% but it spikes alot like 30% to 90% and this is not even in like new new titles in forexample Justcause 3 and AC origins

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It could be yes. Lack of ram will introduce stuttering therefore your gpu usage drops.

Adding another 8gb could very well solve the problem. Psu should be enough, depends on the 580 model. 3770s is working really hard to feed the gpu thats why usage is so high.

ForgottenMythz likes this.
  9. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Ok thank you so much I will upgrade the ram then see if it fixes it or not Thank you for your prompt response!

Undying likes this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    i7 3770? Its a CPU from 2012, no? While thats a good CPU, can it be a driver, software problem?

Stick ur GPU in some friends system, see how it runs and half of money questions are solved.

11. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    I did try it before it was working fine in his system but not mine and even in my PC like i did all GPU benchmarks (furnark, unigine heaven, CPUID powermax) it shows 100% there but not in games

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This could point towards your hard drive either failing or you are running out of RAM and the system is then using pagefile which is on the hard drive and this could hurt performance a lot.

benchmarks probably won't stress/use much memory so they show 100% usage, now you play a game and they will fill up RAM and VRAM pretty quickly, leading too the system then using pagefile.

Or your hard drives are failing and they can't keep up with the games streaming in data. My guess is you are running out of memory though, the games you listed like Horizon or AC are both VERY heavy on memory usage. I would slap in another 8GB if you can and see if it fixes it, maybe borrow some from your friend if they match yours and test it out before you buy some your self.

13. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Ahh sorry to disturbe you but just wanted to ask that if this type of behavior is normal (The screenshot was taken while playing just cause 3 for like 20mins) and also when launching the game it shows "your system is short of memory" just in justcuase tho. So i just wanted to ask like the ram usage is normal or like it really struggling i have 8gb system memory and while gaming
    upload_2021-5-19_0-0-36.png

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    depends on what is being rendered on screen, menus can push a gpu to 100% if they have unlocked frame rates. Maybe try and create a fan profile for your GPU to help with temps for one thing, then disable ULPS using MSI AB or a reg edit (not sure if it applies to a 580x but it may help), also try and free up some RAM by disabling system tray applications like discord, skype, onedrive, spotify, etc if you have them enabled.

Otherwise its more RAM that will help fix your issue. You even said you have a message saying "your system is short on memory". Maybe see if you pagefile is actually enabled also, you may have disabled it and not realised. Just make sure its on "system managed". But I think more RAM is the best bet.

15. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)

You are definitely hitting heavy page file usage due to lack of ram.

Sometimes when windows uses the pagefile , it uses any available drive including your hard drive if it has more space free.

Set your pagefile setup like in this picture to force windows to use your ssd only , i always have mine set like this.

Find this by typing view advanced system settings in the start menu.

System Page File Setup edit.PNG

If it doesn't improve then unfortunately you will need more ram or try to reduce the ram windows is using to free up more ram for the game to use.

16. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Sorry for the late reply. I tried what you said about the Page file however it did not fix my problem so I think it might be RAM as many people are saying that it could be about ram so I am going to upgrade it hopefully tmr. I hope it fixes my problem

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Be aware, just plugging in more ram with your current ram doesnt always go to plan.
    If you want to be sure of a trouble free experience:
    1) buy only ram that is known to work well with your motherboard. Either check the QVL or other users experience.
    Failing to observe this might mean the ram will not run stable unless at a much lower speed than rated.
    2) replace all your ram with 2x8GB if possible. 4x4GB can work ok but can be more trouble.

If you try and keep some of your current ram in as well it will likely not be stable and will mess with your head.
    Replacing all the ram means you can get much faster ram.
    Theres no point getting much faster ram than the CPU is designed to handle unless the price is comparable.

18. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Download HWInfo and have a look at what the page file usage actually is when running HWinfo in the background while you are running the games.

https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

Just get the portable version. The below HWinfo screenshot shows Windows never uses the pagefile on my system as i have 64GB of RAM :-

HWinfo page file edit.png

19. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Thanks for giving me valuable information really appreciate it!

20. ForgottenMythz

ForgottenMythz Member

GPU:
    Rx 580/8gb
    Ok i will try it in a moment thank you!