Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    London ;)

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    here we go Valhalla,let's see if I can do better

[​IMG]

cerebus23 likes this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    got what I wanted
    should've bought it a long time ago.well,at least I didn't have to pay launch price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pedropaulo likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's a cool game imo :D

cucaulay malkin likes this.

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    It is an immersive game. All you have to do is enjoy playing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I certainly have, and I've never been an AC fan. I just finished the main story after 140hrs, and I loved every minute. It the first AC game I've finished [​IMG]:eek: I've still got lots to do, so the game doesn't end for me yet, which I'm happy about, and then there is the DLC coming soon. I had completely missed Vinland believe it or not ,[​IMG]and it is probably the best looking location in the whole game, yet you can finish the main story without going there, which is bonkers.

This may be my favourite game in twenty years of PC gaming. And no game should look this good and run so well on my old PC. For me this is the best looking game I've played on PC or console.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CK the Greek, DannyD and jbscotchman like this.
  7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Its not.

Your "goal" is not to kill Gorm. Your "goal" is to establish a settlement in England. So Vinland is optional, to kill or not kill Gorm. If you want or not..

Same with the "dream land", its just optional content.

8. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I know that... and it is exactly what I meant.

They create this vast area, which is possibly the most stunning area in the entire game, and you don't have to go there. You might not even realise you can unless you look into it. I like the fact that I've finished the main game, but I have lots I can still do, if I want to.

9. You should try more AAA games then. Even on your own screenshots you can see how procedural it is. The same universal and not very detailed ground texture. The same trees and their positions generated proceduraly without much sense. The most of the environment is missing proper artistic touch. It has some nice places here and there, but that's it. I would prefer smaller map, but with much more attention to detail and diversity in vegetation, better landscaping etc.

10. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Could do without the unnecessary cocky unpleasantness, but, blah, blah, blah internet and all that :p [​IMG]

I did say for me, and I have played most big AAA titles, apart from Cyberpunk. For a world this big I do not expect to see a landscape that has no repeating textures, placements or assets, as that would be impossible with current tech. MSFS2020 does the best with it, streaming in real world data, but 3D assets are reused everywhere of course. For such a large world I am constantly amazed by the amount of unique features, minute detail and landscape design, and would say describing it as having 'nice places here and there' to be massively underselling it, as I always seem to be stumbling across stunning little areas, or amazing, beautifully lit vista's. It's not without it faults, but show me a game that does not.... Go on?... which AAA game with this sort of scope, does it better?.... and it's not RDR2.... for me.

11. RDR2, Division 2, GTA5, HZD, TLOU2 etc.. Games are not about the size of the map. I can create map with size of 100kms squared in an hour. It's about the diversity and detail it provides from every single angle and distance. There is no point in hunting map sizes if your dev team is not large enough to fill every cm of space with proper detail.

12. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I dont agree entirely with you.
    The game looks as good as the ones you mentioned, except RDR2 that is a more sober and consistent game graphic wise, but AC can look as good as any of the others and in some moments even better.
    The lack of consistency does in fact brings the all game a bit down, but, for me, is at the level of any other AAA out there.

painter likes this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, it is quite inconsistent visually, but it's mostly down to the lighting, which looks fairly bad for like 1/3 of the day cycle. And i agree with RDR2 looking better than Valhalla.

But imo cyberpunk is just heads and shoulders above everything else visually. Obviously is way more performance heavy aswell, as you'd expect. Closest thing to a modern Crysis.

pedropaulo, Undying and Passus like this.
  14. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Ubi really struggle with lighting, The Division is a prime example, amazing at night especially the first game with the snow and fog and lights etc but really looks like crap in daytime.

pedropaulo likes this.
  15. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I agree it's not about map size, and Valhalla could be smaller, although I haven't found it an unwieldy playground. I think RDR2 is technically better for the most part, but I find it a bit bland in its colour palette, and simply prefer AC-V...... TLOU2 is utterly stunning, but it's very contained. A tech tour de force none the less, but not a game to compare an open world too. GTA5, HZD lag quite far behind AC-V for me, and they display all the things you criticise AC for, but that's fine, it's how open world games have to be constructed. I simply love the look of AC-V but, recognise it has it's faults.

There is no way Cyberpunk would run well on my PC and even if it did work, I'd not see it at it best, but, yes for sure, from what I've seen it looks amazing if you have the hardware.

These shots show what I love about Valhalla. The environment looks natural, and it is extremely dense and varied. Any model or texture repeats are well hidden and it runs well on my machine. I love it, but I'm not saying others have too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    so when will we preload the DLC which is coming tomorrow?

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's very good except for medium-far distance vegetation.
    imo not the best looking game,not even top 5,but at times it does have its charm.

character models are very good.
    so are dynamic shadows.
    snow and water.
    parts of environment - mountains,rocks,close vegetation.

but it's too inconsistent to pit it against best looking games out there.

cp2077 rrequires two-three times as much power to run at the same framerate,and even that comes with using image reconstruction.so it's not a fair comparison.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    pedropaulo and Dragam1337 like this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I mean,this looks like far cry 4,which already looked kinda meh when it comes to vegetation lod

[​IMG]

anvil can look spectacular in long range,like in wildlands,but it was an exception,with a lot of help from nvidia's gameworks turf

pedropaulo likes this.
  19. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Odyssey,for me dint have that problem, or at least so visible.
    I guess it had less vegetation, but still the drawn distance and pop up textures were not an issue.

20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    AC Valhalla, 156 hours and still going