Mass Effect is not dead?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mbk1969, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Loved the first Mass Effect on my Xbox 360, even though it ran with a poor framerate and was rife with screen tearing, then discovered the superior PC version and then played Mass Effect 2 and 3 on PC and never bothered with it again on consoles. The only thing that annoyed me about the PC version was the lack of support for controllers as I personally prefer to play third-person games that way and find the mouse and keyboard annoying (especially the keyboard with its digital movement). The final game was great until the ending which I found hugely underwhelming, although they did patch that (after much criticism) to make it marginally more tolerable. The Mass Effect trilogy is one of the few franchises were I completed all the games from beginning to end due to how enjoyable it was. Ending aside, I thought the story was excellent as was the writing for the many different characters.

Anyway, I wasn't going to bother with the Legendary Edition until I saw how much the textures and lighting have improved since the original releases. I was toying with the idea of getting it on PC, which now apparently supports controllers, but opted in the end to get it for my PS5 (it is the PS4 Pro version running at 4K 60 fps). The reason for this is so I can play it on my 55" OLED TV with a controller, HDR and surround sound. My PC is restricted to a 1440p non-HDR monitor and a 2.1 speaker setup. Not bothered about mods anyway, mainly because I find many of them ruin the intended aesthetic of a game so there really is no advantage to me buying it for PC anyway over the PS4/PS5 version. It has been enhanced somewhat in terms of textures and lighting but it is not a remake that requires a powerful system to run.

Once I buy a new Ryzen CPU-based PC - when I can actually buy one with an RTX graphics card!!! - then I may pick it up, at which point the game will likely have been heavily discounted.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Mate!!! What a video. I'm preloading now, will miss the launch by a couple of hours due to 70mbit internet but I'm so psyched!!! Can't wait to dig in.

mbk1969 likes this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nice one! I utterly love the series, the atmosphere and the characters are out of this world.

I don't have a PS5 (can't find one anywhere) so I got the PC version but no doubt will get it for PS5 too to enjoy the 2nd playthrough of the series on the OLED.

I don't actually even know if the PC version supports 32:9 5120x1440 resolution but worst case I'll just play it in 21:9. I so can't wait to jump in and re-live the whole thing again.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    me3 destroyed the series for me, that ending made me angry.

it really was our game of thrones people grew up invested and spent so much time in the series, for them to toss it in the trash and phone in the ending to a tee is what happened to got via a different route.

so no i got the disks of the og me1 and collectors of 2. and i got zero interest in this less they give it away free.

BlindBison likes this.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ive only ever played the original, so will be good to play through these with them being slightly more modernised.

I don't imagine it will be particularly system heavy, but probably going to pick this up on the One X anyway.

Don't know if it's a smart delivery game though, so might check that first.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, while i agree that ME3 ending wasn't amazing, it wasn't a complete crash and burn pile of sh1t ending that game of thrones had.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    got you could see coming season 6 the last great one? season 7 weak etc it was a definite downward tread.

me the end fight of 2 and the combat of the series overall was the biggest things, then it was busy work mako scanning. but the rest it fell off that story cliff at the last hour of 3?

after the fan service the send offs the bro moments, to end like that was more knife turning i would argue, d&d were idiots over their depth and they never ever tried to character they pumped cersi tyrian and jon, tossed most everyone else in the bin, and then everyone got dumb. jon tyrian everyone got the shaft.

i would argue at lest.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    So far very pleased with the ME1 upgrade - it's obviously still an old game, but alot less clunky - feels far more playable with the updated controls etc. And graphics are better aswell ofc.

[​IMG]

XenthorX and metagamer like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Dragam1337

GPU usage 58% at 780 MHz ? practically idling!

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Lol yeah - i was thinking of doing 8k with DSR :D

Edit : yeah, 8k does clear up the image a bit, and as the game doesn't have taa, it removes a fair bit of shimmering... gpu aint idling running it at 8k though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2021

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    On it like car bonnet
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    F**k me if I am not impressed by the size of that ^ display!
    You can do a Citadel coach photo placing all of them side by side!

metagamer likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Here's another one just for you
    [​IMG]

Undying, XenthorX and mbk1969 like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    ME1 was really hard to go back to for me. ME2 with ALOT texture mod was as far as i felt i could go.
    The legendary edition really puts back ME1 on the map for me. I wish they would have gone even further on environement update. Characters look too good for the env.

15. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    What do you guys think so far how's the PC version versus the consoles version?

16. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    when anyone reaches ME3 :) -

did they fix the problematic cut-scenes ( Omega DLC for example ) ?
    the weapon appearance in most cut-scenes ( always Avenger+Pistol as i remember ) ?

just curious about those things.. in the original trilogy those issues were handled with mods.

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Probably leaving some parts for modders.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

Solfaur likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Runs great. My 2080 runs it locked at 120fps at 5120x1440. Unlocked it would run around 200. But I locked the fps for consistent silky performance.

Kevin Mauro likes this.