Resident Evil 8

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2020.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, VRS which helps pushing the frames but the image will be blurry and lighting flickers

2. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Finished the game earlier. Just over 10 hours. Which is quite good. Tons of replayability with the same coin/challenge system that RE3 has. Soooo many guns! Loved the game. Bravo Capcom.

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That's a bit sad.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It runs very well even without it.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    TheSissyOfFremont likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Without RT yes, even at 5120x1440 on my aging 2080. 80fps no problem. With RT the frame rate drops quite a bit, of course, this is where DLSS would be a game changer. Still, GSYNC does a decent job to keep the game feel alright.

But if I buy this, I'll just play without RT.

But, Mass Efect first.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That is impressive for that resolution. That G9 is such an overkill. :D
    If it was regular 16:9 you'd be running higher fps and with rt enabled. Make sure you dont go over vram limit that could explain the drops.

7. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Game runs very well.

I feel like the menus are very responsive - entering the game, and quitting are very snappy. Is this a benefit of the game being primarily developed on the new consoles? Better CPU and I/O use?

The audio has some extremely heavy distortion on it at times though - particularly in cut-scenes, when a character raises there voice.

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    There are people reporting "wiped" saves.
    Well not exactly wiped, the save files are still stored in correct folder but the main save which stores user profile gets somehow modified by the game and from that point on it starts ignoring those saves, all user settings are reset and it's essentially a clean slate for you once it happens.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I mean I could still just play the game at 2560x1440 and get around 130fps without RT and around god knows what with RT... 70fps? Something like this? The option is there. I think a game like Resident Evil is best played on as large a screen as possible though, without distractions, to get fully immersed.

I've only tried the demo and saw no frame rate drops but I've seen that they can occur over time. If that's the case, I'd just drop some settings. Maybe a patch or two will help with that too.

But like I said, Resident Evil will have to wait, I can't wait to sink my teeth into Mass Effect, a proper RPG.

The G9 is nice, in some games having the extra real estate in your peripheral is so good. Like in Doom, for example :p

AsiJu likes this.
  10. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Just finished the game. I found RE7 to be scarier, and the missions better designed. It was also slower paced, which suited the genre. RE8 is different, but still is a good game. The boss fights were meh, story was okay, and ending was sad. I hope there are some DLCs coming like they did with RE7 - I would like to know what happens next.

DannyD likes this.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Capcom have said they dialed back the "scares" with Village because testing groups and such commented that RE7 was too scary.

I haven't finished Village yet, but I'm loving it. While not as "scary", it's got a great sense of atmosphere and tone. And the visual design is phenomenal.
    And, there is one section (so far) that is really creepy and very well crafted.

DannyD likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This was funny...

cerebus23 and Repo Man like this.
  13. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    have anyone tried hdr in this game? screen gets very dark and dim after I enable it and when I turn it off my monitors hdr mode gets stuck resulting in exposed colors until I restart the pc.

edit: though, in sdr, it is really good, no banding too with my new monitor, colors are also accurate. but you gotta change the default brightness settings of the game, as it loses detail in dark areas.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am thoroughly enjoying this game so far. The atmosphere is strong, even if the lack of interaction with environmental objects and the artificial way the areas open up do mar the game slightly from time to time by reminding me that, yes, this is a video game. The first-person camera perspective absolutely enhances the mood and the horrible things that happen to Ethan Winters (seriously, this guy must be the unluckiest person alive!). I don't think they would be quite as effective had they been third-person, personally.

While I would not go as far as to say this game is scary (although it might be played alone in the pitch black with 3D audio headphones on!), I will say that there are some shocking gross-out moments and at least two instances were I jumped with surprise. There is a puzzle-based sequence in an empty house after beating the castle area were I came close to being genuinely terrified (this reminded me of Outlast, remember that one, the game where you can to keep hiding in lockers and closets?). I'm only about 4 hours in but the game is definitely entertaining, I'll give it that, and has a nice balance between combat and exploration/puzzles.

Performance on my ageing PC has mostly been great as well, running at a locked 60 fps for 99% of the time on maxed out 2560x1440 settings (obviously, without ray-tracing support). Other than the inconsistent black levels (I never know if how I'm seeing the game is how it is meant to look), the only hiccups so far have been slowdown with some enemy close-up attacks, especially the three sub-bosses in the castle area (my game literally became a slideshow for a few seconds during two of these), and some odd stutters when shooting enemies where the game would hitch as they went into their death animation. Very odd. I also experienced some severe slowdown (40-50 fps) during the last of the sub-boss fights in this area, which was odd because it took place in a small enclosed room, much smaller than the other two which ran fine! Guess the game needs a patch or two and/or newer graphics drivers.

I'd definitely recommend this, particularly if you enjoyed Resident Evil 7 as this story follows on from that game.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I also had audio out-of-sync issue in cutscenes (encountered only one so far), like I'm running an old Pentium 4 computer back in the days.

16. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I had that issue with first scene with the old hag when my FPS tanked to like 20 and stayed like that as long as she was on screen.
    Weirdly enough in the demo same scene performed just fine.

17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The creepy atmosphere is as much apart of RE as how "scary" it is. RE 4 wasn't scary, but had good atmosphere. REmake and RE2 remake were more scary because all the regular zombies were bullet sponges.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

MarkyG and Xtreme512 like this.
  19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Man that stake magnum gun is really op, if u wanne do a newgame+ with vilage buy that stake gun with cp point then upgrade it to max it might cost a fortune but its worth it.

20. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090