Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Some games stutter on PC no matter what. FFXV or Evil Within 2 are some of them. PS5 runs FFXV with ZERO stutters, Evil Within 2 also has ZERO stutters on my XSX. Something to do with data streaming on PC ? I hope that DirectStorage API will fix the stutters.

enkoo1 and Smough like this.
  2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It's just the nature of PC gaming and devs not caring at all, not creating a proper communication between the game, Windows and your components, also driver manufacturers don't always to their tasks properly. I have seen gaming videos with very good hardware and I just see absurd frametime spikes on their graphs when they use Afterburner, pretty sad and jarring.

Being honest with you, for some PC games stutter its like their second nature and the enemy you must face to fix or at least tame the most you can, but it will be there at times. I still remember all of the consoles experiences I had; no game ever stutters on console, they only drop fps, on PC you can get both.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's pretty sad that you can spend thousands of dollars on PC HW and still get stutters, even if your HW is capable of reaching 100+ FPS. On consoles they target one specific HW combination, that's why you don't get stutters. Ghost of Tsushima on PS5, 60FPS, open-world with great detail and it's flawless.

Smough likes this.
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Would like you to prove that to me with very well known games that can stutter no matter how good any hardware is (I know most of them and I know they are like that due to other people I know experience as well) and give me framegraphs to prove your claims, but you won't, so what you say its irrelevant.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You do nothing with a lot of bruce force if it can't be used and channelled. Did you see Avengers: Infinity War, where Thanos beats up Hulk? Hulk is physically stronger, but without technique or measure, he couldn't do anything against Thanos fighting skills. Consoles can't be as strong as consoles, but they don't have to be if all of the needed power is guided to the game and in a correct way. PC does have a lot of other advantages, but it will always suffer from badly optimized games.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    TBH I noticed much smoother frametime on my older rig with a 1080ti/i7 4790k/16gb 1600mhz ram and w7.You mention FFXV as having stutters but not on my old rig and im very sensitive to it so I would know.Even unity games like Pillars of eternity 2 had 0 stutters of any kind on my old rig but with my current rig there's random micro stutters randomly happening everywhere.

The moment I installed w10(3 years ago) I immediatly noticed frametimes spikes randomly (mainly minor ms) which were not there before and it got worst when I fully upgraded to my rig to a 1080ti/9900k/16gb 3200mhz RIG.Recently got a 3080 and the frametime is again slightly worst.
    On my current rig 3080/9900k/3200mhz the frametime is noticably better if I play on 1080p while on 1440p its worst.

Can't tell if it's something with the cpu/driver or the card itself.Currently gonna save some money and get a new mobo/cpu/ram as a last resort to see if it fixes the issue.

Just to clarify some games have it worst then others and some it barely happens like minor 15-18ms hitches here and there.I'd say most ppl wouldn't even notice them but I do.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, I get what you are saying, some people have a great experience with PC gaming, even with worse hardware at times, their games just run better, have better frametimes or don't stutter, I have seen a lot of people with very good computers complaining about fps issues, stutter and other stuff they can't fix even if they reinstall Windows, maybe the drivers from some vendors are not as good as others or simply, goes down to Windows versions, a particular sotfware configuration or other things that we don't consider and all of that is very difficulty to diagnose, even some games get worse with some updates and people could blame other things because of that, console gaming is much more limited, but it's more stable, no doubt about that.

There are badly optimized games on PC no doubt, but a lot of people have brand new rigs and have issues with all games, which is a shame.

8. Blanky

Blanky Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPERXTrio
    What I have learned in the end is that there will always be stuttering, even if you have a nasa pc, this post will never have an end because it will never be solved, we will have to live with it because I don't see that Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD are really going to solve it.

On my old pc my experience was better than with my current pc Ryzen 3700X, 2070 rtx super, 16 gb Ram 3600Mhz, stutters and fluctuates more FPS than with my old pc.(sorry my bad english).

Smough likes this.
  9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Is this still a thing on >1809 builds for some users? Or rather, on >1909 buils? Because support has ended for <2004 by now (or even <1909 for Enterprise editions which could arguably be used by "advanced users" who also play games). (Ok, ok, I know there still support for 1809 LTSC but that's not meant for gaming -or even regular work- to begin with). So I think this thread should either be updated to reflect the current situations with supported builds or closed in case the core problem is solved. (I personally didn't really have issues with 32Gb RAM, so I can't chip in.)

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I still think it got fixed in graphics drivers and that any Windows 10 version after 1703 didn't change anything in this regard. If there are/were other issues with newer Windows versions, they might be mostly or even totally unrelated.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, my first "proper" gaming computer was a Core 2 Duo and a 9800GT and some peasant 4GB RAM, I can't remember a single game having stutter in that computer and fps drop were barely noticeable, felt like G-Sync somehow, I remember all old Batman games (Asylum, City and Origins) running so insanely good and if I had any drops to 40-45 fps, I could barely tell a difference and I never saw a single hitch, Fallout New Vegas with a lot of mods was the same thing and Skyrim as well, they ran just flawlessly, Resident Evil 5 too, I remember that experience, it was just perfection and I played with an old HDD that barely had any maintenance. The only game that had some stutters was Mass Effect 3, but very rare and only moving during some large areas at some levels, but nothing like what you see these days. Now if you drop fps at any game feels like if your eyes were being poked with a knife or something.

Companies now force people to upgrade hardware or buy "magic" Freesync or G-Sync monitors to avoid "stutter" when fps drop and this wasn't a thing in the past, they literally normalized stutter and give you a expensive fix, like saying "buy this or eat sh*t". Console gaming starts to look much more appealing to me day by day. Consoles are much weaker than PC's and yet they manage to run all games without stutter or very minimal ones, while on PC it's the norm for us and we just have gotten used to it, pretty lame.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Apparently it was fixed after a late update that 1803 had and all future versions are free of this problem, in theory. By the way, 1607 is 100% of the issue and apparently, 1703 is too, the whole thing started with 1709 (which is also just beyond me why some "tweakers" recommend a broken version of Windows), no idea if any 1709 compilation update ever repaired this, but there aren't any notes about it. I am pretty sure after 1809, this was fixed.

13. oneoulker

oneoulker Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    freesync or gsync doesn't fix big stutters though, if a game visible hitches, you see it regardless of freesync/gsync. maybe it is doing a good job at masking microstutters. i've been using freesync for a good 3 year and i'll be honest, its a really good tech and its also practically free, as the name suggest, you don't at least pay premium for it unlike the gsync. though, getting a new monitor is not free, that i can agree with you. at least its a standard now within monitors.

freesync/gsync is only good for frame drops, it was invented/introduced because lots of hardware can't hit 60/144 fps targets so freesync/gsync eliminates the requirement of having Vsync on.

Vsync creates judder if you don't match the FPS target, and if you don't use vsync, you get tears, its a double edged sword. fsync/gsync solves both problems by syncing the refresh rate according to frame rate.

ps4/xboxone worked flawlessly because they lock to 30 frames and it is an easier target to meet, 30 fps also perfectly aligns to 60 hz so you don't need any kind of fancy tech. just half vsync and good to go

now you can observe the series x, it targets 60 fps in games but sadly unable to do hit it consistently. random erratic weird stutters now plague both ps5 and xbox series x games. xbox sx as of now relies on VRR if you want to have a tear-free experience with performance modes. ac:valhalla and cyberpunk benefits great from VRR since sx can't reliably lock to 60 and will drops between 50-60.

for the stutters, they happen less on ps5 and more on xbox, and clearly we can have directx api to blame here. it should be better optimized otherwise it will haunt series x through the generation since it won't get away with 30 fps this time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Smough likes this.
  14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    what's the default registry for the GameDVR in windows 11?

for me at the moment is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore]
    "GameDVR_Enabled"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002
    "GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags"=dword:00000000

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore]
    "GameDVR_Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags"=dword:00000000

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I untick the checkboxes in Windows system settings, and this isn't enough why..?

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Any idea why History captured in the GameDVR Overlay is not shown? it's empty, many people have this issue, couldn't find the fix.

Game bar on pc not showing captures in the overlay like it used to - Microsoft Community

I enabled like yours now and the AppCaptureEnabled to 1, it was 0, I can capture and take screenshots and the app is staying enabled in the Use the Xbox controller, it was just resetting itself to off before it.

18. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    You probably disabled indexing service.

19. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    it's enabled, I never disabled it. also on the partition and the service.
    I have a laptop with win 10 and it's working fine. but on windows 11 it doesn't.

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Sorry to necro this, but just wanted to tell everyone who still use ISLC that I fixed an Issue with Windows 11 and the timer resolution. ISLC should work as expected now with Windows 11.
    Here is some interesting information about a "feature" that work differently in Windows 11 vs Windows 10:

When a process opts into enabling PROCESS_POWER_THROTTLING_IGNORE_TIMER_RESOLUTION, any current timer resolution requests made by the process will be ignored. Timers belonging to the process are no longer guaranteed to expire with higher timer resolution, which can improve power efficiency. After explicitly disabling PROCESS_POWER_THROTTLING_IGNORE_TIMER_RESOLUTION, the system remembers and honors any previous timer resolution request by the process. By default in Windows 11 if a window owning process becomes fully occluded, minimized, or otherwise non-visible to the end user, and non-audible, Windows may automatically ignore the timer resolution request and thus does not guarantee a higher resolution than the default system resolution.

Also, if some of you have issue with others games / tools and think they are affected by this change from Microsoft in Windows 11 that ignore the process timer resolution request, I added the ability to change that status for any process with a tool I made "Wagnardsoft Tools (Wtools)".

Anyway just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022