Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Performance is actually really good here as well on a 6800XT 1440p Ultra settings FOV maxed RT High RT reflections On VRS 2X PhysX on Tessellation On Motion Blur High

Getting around 70-120fps, not too shabby. VRS 4X does nothing, turning it off drops performance by about 5-8fps.

Getting a weird bug when enabling vsync FULL the fps will lock to 60fps/60Hz when I am using a 144Hz panel disabling it is fine and freesync works still.... strange one.

However, for some reason I am not impressed with the RT?? It doesn't look right, I can see it in action on fires and the green glowing mushroom things but everything else looks flat. Icicles look weird, flash light barely casts any shadows from objects in the environment, there are barely any reflections in water, puddles, or glass.... Is something wrong here because it doesn't look much better than the original version which actually ran a lot better (obviously with RT off) but still looked great even without RT.

Dragam1337 and XenthorX like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    People on another forum are also reporting incorrect black levels or gamma / contrast problems.

Meaning they can actually indeed fix it by adjusting contrast or gamma elsewhere so it's likely a bug rather than intentional.

Still d/l'ing myself, gonna see then.

Edit: @CPC_RedDawn that vsync 60 fps lock was also mentioned. Though only applies to ingame Vsync I guess?

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. Good environment artists are more important than RT.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea I get that, but from still images, and youtube videos like DF. I was expecting to be blown away, and really for the performance loss over the original without RT this version isn't worth it. Maybe it gets better when you are in different areas of the game as it uses seasons for its chapters. I think I will wait til someone has a completed save file and just use that to jump to any level.

Witcher29 and Dragam1337 like this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Take everything alex from DF says about raytracing and dlss with a Mountain of salt - he is a huge fanboy.

toyo likes this.
  6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Don't you ever stop? You are such a huge fan of a lost cause.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    People take his words, as were they spoken by god - and lo and behold, they aren't. He clearly is (and admits so himself) a fanboy of raytracing, which means that his view upon raytracing in a game will probably (most definitely) differ from what average joe experiences when he gets his hands on the game - as evident in this thread.

This is actually a pretty good vid on the subject

Spoiler alert : the non-tech nerds weren't able to tell which pc's were running the games raytraced, and which weren't.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Xtreme512 and XenthorX like this.
  8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Nothing wrong with that. After all he is an expert ... even Studios as for their help in resolving certain issues. He clearly has much more knowledge than anyone in this forum.

bobnewels likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    He is without a doubt knowledgeable, but that doesn't mean that i share his view point about raytracing, or that it will be shared by users, once they actually get their hands on it. Again the video done by linus shows that most people can't even tell if it is running raytracing.

10. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    And people listen to stereo music through a single headphone, and watch SD channels on their HD-tv's when they have access to the HD ones.

Some people have the facility to notice quality, others don't; some can but just don't care.

GoldenTiger and Party Poison like this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Oh I know, like how he wets him self every time someone mentions Crytek to him.

I just saw screenshots and video clips of the game looking really nice, but now that I am playing it I can honestly say its not worth it. So glad this is a free update as paying for this version would of seriously pissed me off.

I think the best RT I've seen so far has to be Cyberpunks reflections and even then you have stop and look to properly see them. Looks like RT has a long way to go before it truly takes over (which of course it will) as all the tricks devs have learned or invented through normal rasterization seem to be doing a good enough job.

XenthorX and Dragam1337 like this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, so far i will say cyberpunk is the only game where raytracing really makes a difference - that game is on another level visually.

Undying and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  13. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    I'd say that the non tech folks are what we could call casual gamers. And i'd also say that Ray Tracing is not marketed towards that crowd.

RTX atm is either for the people with monster rigs for the top tier of visual quality or screenshots.
    Or its used as a buzzword currently like 4k was a few years ago.

ray trace reflection has always seemed a waste to me as its something you have to almost stop and look for.

My favourite usage of rtx so far was the initial release of Exodos. The lighting, rather than reflection looked so much better than the default that I felt it really made a difference turned on.

Noisiv likes this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's really a fascinating topic, raytracing coming to game engine also allows artist to compare in editor at runtime and adjust the non-RT version to better match the 'ground truth'.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Cyberpunk, Control and Metro are the raytracing showcase. Those are first i would try if i had the capable gpu.

jura11 likes this.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Cyberpunk proly has better reflections from a tech point of view. And you don't have to look for them - they're just there looking swole.
    OTOH Metro has _INSANE lightning. It's on completely another level compared to anything else.

[​IMG]

PowerK likes this.
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    am i the only one experiencing crashes in the enhanced edition?

18. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Indeed. CP2077 looks "shiny" because there are more reflective surface materials (buildings, windows, vehicles etc). RT lighting is not impressive in CP2077. Quality of RT lighting is not consistent either.

RT lighting in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is in another level. It is the first game that I felt filmic/cinematic level of lighting done in video game.
    The game currently does have issues with slight gamma distortion and ghosting issue when HDR and DLSS are in use at the same time. But its insane RT lighting with HDR10 grading is a true showcase of next gen lighting effect.

TheSissyOfFremont and Noisiv like this.
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

It's like for the first time in gaming the entire image is one coherent picture.

Instead of consisting of different parts: textures, shadows, AO, light sources - each of them being an approximation and throwing errors now and then and reminding you that you are looking at the digitalized simulation of the real thing. Unless you stick your head into a wall, everything seamlessly and naturally blends together. And this is because the lightning is a real thing and this light knows the geometry of space and materials it bounces of; instead of being a very rough approximation of artists vision.
    You can be a great artist, but you can't calculate all the subtleties of light, and even if you could, the old rendering does not let you. And especially not in fully dynamic way like RT is doing in Metro.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, RT can work as a tool for improving rasterised image too.

Once we can comfortably move to RT or hybrid RT only as a whole (GI, shadows, reflections, the works) that should considerably streamline development work when everything comes naturally from the same technique.

Hybrid RT meaning raytracing plus denoiser / post processing pass.
    Which will likely be realtime RT solution for the foreseeable future.

Pure RT will likely remain too taxing for realtime application for a couple of decades still.
    But then we are truly talking about graphics as realistic as can be I fathom.

XenthorX likes this.