Samsung warns: "if the shortage continues, we may be unable to make televisions"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2021.

1. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they can just start producing chips for them selves, I mean they do produce alot the chips people. they can just use there own production of chips for them selves

As for the TV eh Samsung is probably only brand of TV i like, I set I got was TCL and Roku OS at that, that will NEVER happen again. and will most likely go back to Samsung, my experince is obviously not the same as everyone else.

3. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    cue incoming price rises, why else to make such a statement.

Keitosha likes this.
  4. samir72

samir72 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti
    At last! some good news.

Celcius likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Next on their list a shortage of plastic, so expect a massive increase in price of all plastic products. lol

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Plastics have traditionally been a part of the petrochemical industry, so a shortage of plastics, as such, won't happen without an oil crisis. Of course these days there are other plastic polymers around, derived from plant matter and such, but I don't think they appear much in home electronics.

A family member had an LG TV, it has major internal speaker sound problems, though it didn't bother him due to using an AV receiver. A friend's huge and expensive LG TV suddenly lost all of its HDMI ports, naturally shortly out of warranty. Googling revealed it was a typical flaw for a number of LG TV models, due to using a poor HDMI chip. My first LCD computer screen was actually LG. I needed to open it and replace the PSU capacitors after a few years. Apparently they were also of cheap quality. LG panels are probably very good, but I don't trust the build quality of whole devices as much. Talking about TVs and monitors here. Their microwave ovens, fridges, and such might be just fine.

7. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    this!

since i have a full fledged computer hooked up to any screen i really dont like that im paying for "smart features" which are always going to be inferior in customization and performance... i'd love to buy top of the line screen without all the addons that ill never use...

GSDragoon likes this.
  8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    They forgot to add to the list : dishwashers, fridges, dryers etc :)

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Exactly my point: that's why Samsung is obligated to fulfill their contracts, and in doing so, this is why they aren't able to keep up with their own S&D.

And yeah, when a government can step in, suddenly obliging contracts are in question. But to my understanding, this isn't the case here.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Although I too prefer dumb TVs (for all the reasons you mentioned), you're actually often paying less for a smart TV, for the same reason why you can buy a budget OEM PC for a lower price than what the hardware is actually worth: the pre-bundled adware.

However, if I am going to get a smart TV, ones that come with Roku are pretty good. They're nice options for those who strictly intend to use it as a TV and not for gaming or work.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I'm also fan of "dumb TVs" but... But these days you can't buy a decent TV with good 4K panel without it being loaded with all kinds of smart and less smart technologies, at least here where I live (Serbia), someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

Last year in December 2020 I've wanted to make a shift from our main 40" 1080p dumb TV to a bit biger 43" 4K, maybe 48" (48" was max I could fit in that wall angle on custom made TV VESA mount). Than 40" 1080p has served me well for a bit more than 6.5 years, it survived 2 lightning strikes (both RMAs, because of lightning strikes, were covered by warranty). Criteria replacement 4K TV has to satisfy in my book were:

1). 43" to 48" as much as good 4K panel, it's about a time for 4K imho, for few years I'm using 4K action camera for diving and lots of us at home are recording all kinds of stuff in 4K... and IPS anti-glare panel prefered because house windows with lots of light coming trough are against the TV.
    2). good upscaling technology from 720p and 1080p to 4K
    3). decent sound
    4). if possible some sort of background light so that I don't need to mess around on the back od TV with LED 5050 strips, RGB remote controller... Just can't stand looking at the TV with all that darkness around/behind the screen, all of our TVs at home are LED 5050 strips + RGB remote "modded" behind long time ago, but this time didn't wanted to mess around with those strips/controller on a new TV, just wanted a factory background light solution if I'm gonna throw that kind of money on new 4K TV.
    5). if possibe not to be a smart TV

Saw a lot of 43" and 48" 4K TVs in person back in December 2020: Samsung, LG, Philips, Hisense, Toshiba, Sharp... All of them didn't ticked at least 2 or 3 criterias above. And all decent TVs with good 4K panels were Smart TVs: Tizen, Android, Vidaa... every single one of them. At the end I was "forced" to buy Smart TV just because of 4K panel, all 4K "dumb" TVs I've saw backthen in December 2020 had non satisfying picture as far as I'm concerned. The only one that had all that I want one 43"/48" 4K TV to have was Philips 43PUS8545/12:

1). 43" IPS 4K screen (wish they had 48" in 8545 series but they don't and next one is 50" which is not IPS)
    2). great upscaling to 4K, even our old 720p videos upscaled to 4K are looking fantastic, way better than when we were looking those on 40" 1080p TV
    3). sound is really good, first TV that I don't feel a need to connect to a Soundbar or additional 2.1 speakers because of crappy internal speakers, lets say sound quallity is 8/10
    4). it has Ambilight behind and... it's OK, not that I'm blown away by it like some others out there (7 years or so every PC monitor and TV in our house use background light based on LED 5050 strips + RGB remote controller, it's so much easier on eyes)
    5). but of course it's a Smart TV, but.... But can't complain about it being smart at all, this is the first Android based TV I've saw that runs Android as it should, without lags and all kinds of delays. Quad core CPU, 3GB RAM, 16GB internal storage... everything is running smooth as it should, we'll see how it's gonna perform 2 or 3 years from now on some future Android/firmware upgrade. So far iirc I've upgraded TVs firmware 2 or it was 3 times. Our kids think TV is perfect because it's loaded with all kinds of techology and apps they need: WiFi, Blutooth, Netflix, YT... even remote controller is smart one with voice controll (Amazon Alexa + Google Assistant), I've updated firmware even on remote controller once. Warranty is 5 years (2+3) but this time it doesn't cover lightning strikes so now whenever it's lighning storm outside I unplug all coaxial, HDMI and power cables from TV, just in case :) For me this TV is close to perfection: wish it was 48" IPS and a bit better low freq sound but for 550€ can't really complain, next IPS model in Philis 8545 series is 65" but no way I'm gonna throw away that kind of money atm... and just can't fit it in wall angle where 43" is optimum. I'm sure our next TV some 2, 3, 4 years from now for around the same amount of money will eat alive this Philips 43", no doubt it's gonna be smart (every TV on the market will be smart few years from now).... if this "chip shortage" doesn't escalate even more.

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    as others have said... maybe if we didnt have a market full of "smart" washer dryers this chip shortage wouldnt be nearly as bad

they could take this excuse to sell even thinner TVs! with nothing but power cord and a bunch of HDMIs, less power consumption even, save the planet!

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Some of the Samsungs are almost there if you can buy the TV without the external Tuner/HDMI/USB box.
    The screen is linked by a single optical lead with a power supply braid round it.
    If the main TV screen was sold separately to the external input box and you could choose from different boxes, that could work very well and even bring the price down.

14. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    My "smart" television consists of a USB television tuner connected to my daily driver PC, and the aforementioned tuner utilizes that timeless example of dipole antenna goodness known as "rabbit ears." It's "smart" in the sense that it's owner has the good sense to realize that there is rarely anything worth her time being broadcast, and turns it off.

I agree with this. In fact, I'd agree with it even more so if AlmondMan had omitted,"...we'd stop having the issue." Just speaking for myself, I see the practice of placing microprocessors in so many things where they are clearly unnecessary as being the problem, *not* that there aren't enough microprocessors being produced to maintain and expand on this proliferation.

15. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    [/QUOTE]A family member had an LG TV, it has major internal speaker sound problems, though it didn't bother him due to using an AV receiver. A friend's huge and expensive LG TV suddenly lost all of its HDMI ports, naturally shortly out of warranty. Googling revealed it was a typical flaw for a number of LG TV models, due to using a poor HDMI chip. My first LCD computer screen was actually LG. I needed to open it and replace the PSU capacitors after a few years. Apparently they were also of cheap quality. LG panels are probably very good, but I don't trust the build quality of whole devices as much. Talking about TVs and monitors here. Their microwave ovens, fridges, and such might be just fine.[/QUOTE]

That is why TVs and power conditioners go hand in hand. I have a whole house power conditioner and I rarely have a electronic device fail. They hit obsolescence and get replaced versus being replaced due to failure. Surge protectors or even a good quality battery backup are not enough to flatten the curve for most TVs. The old CRT tube TVs were built much better.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I`ve had 3 Samsung tv`s including my current 40" UE40EH6030 and theyve all had great picture and out live my use, Ive also owned a 40" Panasonic of similar spec but the Samsung's picture quality was far better but what lets my samsung down is the media player.....i used to be able to play mp4 and mkv files from usb dongle or usb external hd but it no longer recognizes those formats, also used to link my pc and Samsung with out needing Samsung's proprietary Allshare dongle but again they screwed that up.

Later on this year i plan on upgrading to a 50" 4k but will probably go with Lg....nothing fancy so long as i can stream from my pc and external usb/ssd

17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I still have a 50" LG plasma sitting on the wall - don't use it at all, watch the projector instead - anyway, it would have been thrown out years ago only I figured out the capacitors in the power board were busted (it stopped turning on easily slowly over time) and I got an engineer in to replace them all for about €100 - that was years ago and its still working OK now. Still has a terrible annoying, cannot be removed, overscan area of about 1 inch on all sides which makes it useless though. Also weighs a ton.

Kaarme likes this.
  18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, sounds familiar. That monitor of mine started to turn on very slowly, until finally it took a full minute or more to power up, which wasn't convenient anymore, even if it reminded me of my grandpa's old vacuum tube radio. I figured it could be nothing but the power board capacitors. I don't think it cost me more than 10 euros to buy new ones, at most a little more, although it's been a long time, so I can't remember exactly anymore. Actually opening the bloody thing was harder than taking a soldering iron to the PCB to replace the capacitor, haha. I shed some blood from my fingertips doing it.

My last CRT TV, a Sony Trinitron, actually weighed about 60kg. It had a centimeter of bullet proof glass in front of it, or something. When I bought an LCD TV, I agreed with the store they take the old TV away when they bring in the new TV. When the transport company called me about the schedule, I told the guy on the phone to be sure to have another man with him. He understood why when they started to carry the old TV away. It was pretty funny.

geogan likes this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Why shout so loud?
    Samsung only screwed up the allshare dongle by not needing it.
    Just plug your PC in and go, works great.

20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    take that time to stop wasting ressources on stupid things nobody asks for like idiotic 8K tvs :mad:

also yeah if they weren't pushing 5G and connected things so hard to spy on everything we did, tracking us h24 wherever we are in our car opening the fridge doing sports and whatnot they would have materials

Last edited: May 5, 2021