NVIDIA Would Relaunch RTX 30-series with Lite Hash Rate (LHR) Silicon Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is still a rumor, but it's in line with what has been happening. Nvidia would start delivering new RTX GPUs to their AIBs in mid-May. GAxx2 GPU variants will be fitted with a hashrate limiter, but otherwise will be the same existing GPUs.

Read more

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wonder if it's doing specific coins and/or updatable. Hopefully they won't self-brick it this time. That being said I'm kind of glad I have an original 3080 - I mined the last few months and covered the cost of the card already even factoring in electricity cost.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It would be most welcome news if true. The first hash rate limiter in 3060 was pretty disappointing and looked like nothing but a marketing stunt, with Nvidia itself releasing a driver version that removed the limit, but if the second time is for real, it could bring some hope to us long-suffering PC gamers.

5. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Good, finally we'll see a 3060 TI for $399

Undying and Legacy-ZA like this.
  6. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    This won't solve anything. Instead of cheap 3050 3050ti we will get these expensive cards again. People are HUNGRY for GPUs, low-low/mid range cards. Even 1060 1660 sells for 550-650$ range!

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    2nd attempt? actual hardware limitting this time? and limiting it by 99%?

I will look forward to trying to get new card then

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
  9. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Only because of mining + it's the only cards that are more available.

10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Haha. Dream on.

EspHack and Undying like this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Even under normal circumstances, the profit margins are better in the higher tier cards. Let alone now. While lower tier cards have tiny GPU chips and thus you get more chips from a wafer, the current chip manufacturing capacity shortage means companies, such as Nvidia, need to consider carefully which chips to get fabricated at all. That ought to be the reason why no 3050 (Ti) has appeared on the store shelves.

12. Ojref

Ojref Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 7900 XTX
    Hint: It won't work, will be broken or worked around within the first week.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nothing is gonna change while China remains unregulated and out of control.

Legacy-ZA and Neo Cyrus like this.
  14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Sad how a 60 series card is now something people are HAPPY to pay $400 USD for. I remember I got my GTX 280 on sale (You guys remember those things? I wish they still existed!) for $400 CAD well before the GTX 285 was released, and both were the full blown chip anyway.

Undying, EspHack and Airbud like this.
  15. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I agree.

It was a bad move to outsource manufacturing to an outside communist country/regime that can hold the economies of the world to ransom if they wish, the chickens are coming home to roost. The saying "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket..." seems to be holding true. *sigh* These were jobs that could have gone to one's own citizenry to further increase the wealth of a said host country, instead, all that wealth went to China, which seems to just be talking about war these days, ironically, against people that brought them prosperity. Yes, I know China's labour is cheaper, how could it not be? Those poor people are no better than slaves if look closely.

Once upon a time, you knew if you bought American or German that you will get a working product that will last, but now? Gmmfff...
    Luckily I saw recent news that some manufacturing will be going back to America, within Texas I believe, TSMC. Good news.

Most GPU's are probably still sold within China due to the mining craze, BTC and ETH are predominantly mined within China 60%+, they might not be centralized in the sense of individual units, but as a country yes. Just recently BTC fell from 64k to under 50k just because of a power plant failure and the hash-rates plummeted, scaring the market. Having the potential to decrease a currencies value by "oopsies" or most likely planned is not a good thing; Proof-of-Work doesn't work and can be dangerous. Can you just imagine if the whole world adopts BTC / ETH and then they get to pull the plug when they feel like it to devalue <insert enitity> that adopted them?

Anyways, delete my comment if it's too "political" for peoples taste, sometimes, these things need to be aired, as they are intertwined.

jbscotchman and carnivore like this.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Unfortunately, i agree with this...

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Updatable is not possible unless one accepts always online functionality reactivation. (Like when Microsoft's product deactivates after 6 months of offline and needs reactivation online.)

18. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    agree^ (kinda) ...this particular $400 series "3060ti" performs like a "2080 super"...

never seen that much performance increase before in a prior xx60 card.

Edit: But then again, it is said that the human eye can only see: oUt oF sTOcK

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Neo Cyrus likes this.
  19. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    If it's a limiter built into the actual silicon, then it should work better than the current driver/firmware-based limiter. We could only hope though that this finally works.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Performance increases for X cost are easy to make look impressive when the previous generation was a literal 0% performance increase per dollar. Let's not forget the 2080 was largely on par with the 1080 Ti and the price increase to get the 2080 Ti was insane.

I have eagle eyes so for a femtosecond I saw "in-store backorder" and did so. Immediately after that however my eyes became only capable of seeing "out of stock" aka sold to mining farms by the giant shipping crate full, or instantly snatched by bots in fractions of a second because that's somehow legal.

carnivore and Airbud like this.