3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Arizato

Arizato Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Master
    Has anyone here tried replacing the thermal pads on their Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master? If so, how much of a difference did it make to your VRAM temps? Currently getting 96c degrees in Cyberpunk while playing on 1440p@90FPS all settings maxed, no RTX and no DLSS. Even in older games like Final Fantasy XIV I am getting constant 90c when playing maxed out 1440p@120FPS.

I ordered Gelid Thermal Pads in 1mm, 2mm and 3mm thickness. But it would be nice if someone could share their experience with this card in particular.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same ram temp I get with my Aorus Xtreme on CP.
    I can see better pads easily helping as long as they arent too thin.

Lily GFX likes this.
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    you know what Cave Waverider I didn't even think about the flow nor tried to modify the pump speed :oops: (at idle or in light use)
    and thanks for all the information Jura :cool:

Cave Waverider likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I updated the VBIOS and there is better stability. Thanks again.

5. Arizato

Arizato Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Master
    Changed my pads yesterday. VRAM temps peaked at low 70s which is great. But I think the pads I changed on the front side of the card are a little too hard or too thick. Core temps are now a problem instead. Fans ramping up over 80% when playing games and the core temp has gone from mid 60s to low 80s.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Core temp will barely be affected by a memory pad change, check the paste has spread well.
    I use a thick paste and manually spread it thin (Gelid Extreme) when I fiddle with heatsinks but am considering better thermal conductivity paste next time. But again, I will manually spread it thin.

Cant argue the case for/against oversize pads as I havent tried it on my Aorus yet.
    I intend to have a range of pads at the ready if I do it.

7. Arizato

Arizato Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Master
    Thanks for the suggestions! Ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which should arrive tomorrow. But I will check the spread today after coming home from work. Through I can't deny that I am some what anxious if I have damaged something.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nice, Im looking at that too.
    What paste did you already use?

Be careful not to compress any of the pads.
    If you selected the correct size, they will not tolerate higher pressure without an adverse effect after fitting/refitting.
    You might be left with gaps or poor contact.
    For best effect they are use once.

9. Arizato

Arizato Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Master
    I used Arctic MX-4 as I had luck with using it on my GTX 1080 back in the day when i did a deep clean of the card.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    No one else replied correctly.
    This issue can happen very easily if the thermal pads you are using are either too thick, or too hard (too high of a shore rating).
    Part of the problem is that, even if you have the correct thickness, the OEM's often use thermal pads that are extremely soft, meaning they will compress a great deal. An example: if the stock thermal pads (next to the GPU core) are 1.5mm, and compress with an installed heatsink down to 1.1mm, and you get great core contact and thus great core temps, and then you replace them with 1.5mm pads that only compress down to 1.3mm, you now have a pressure integrity problem with the core to heatsink contact, as you now have 0.2mm of extra space left that will need a thick layer of thermal paste to compensate for (and thus your temps will suck).

While some OEM's may give you the dimension and thickness of their stock pads, I haven't seen any of them give the shore rating of their pads anywhere.

To avoid problems like this, use soft pads, even if they aren't the absolute highest w/mk. Gelid Extreme pads work VERY well on GPU's where the core and VRAM/VRM contact is done by the same fused piece. Gelid pads are very soft.

You won't have this issue when using backplate pads.

kakiharaFRS and jura11 like this.

11. Arizato

Arizato Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Master
    I understand. I made a typo in my first post. I bought Gelid 3mm pads for the backplate and used Thermalright 2mm pads on the front. The Thermalright seem to be the ones causing my problem.

After seeing your post I ordered some Gelid 2mm pads to give the front another try. Going to wait for those to arrive along with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Until then I'll just be doing some light gaming and constantly monitor my temps. VRAM peaking at 84c right now. Core peaking at 82 with fans going to 80%. So the card doesn't seem to be in immediate danger at the moment at least. These temps are in Cyberpunk 2077. Idle is 45c Core and 48c VRAM. When playing a less intensive game like Smite the core and VRAM don't surpass 56c.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  12. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    The Gelid pads will 100% give you great results, man. It's been exactly 14 days since I installed Gelid 1.5mm pads on my 3090 FE Core front side and my core to core hotspot deltas have not changed by even 1C after 14 days. If it's changed it's maybe changed by at MOST 0.5C and I'm not even sure about that...that's impressive!

kakiharaFRS likes this.
  13. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Using a TUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING and getting normal temps stock .
    Running fans ad 90% . I am not getting noice from the fans the are real quiet
    Ad gaming i get 52 degrees and mem temps are 76 degrees.

Cave Waverider and kakiharaFRS like this.
  14. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    @Falkentyne super good info (gelid pads) thanks, too late for me I went the EK-backplate way but before that, it was my "problem" poor contact on the backplate on at least 2 memory chips using a flashlight I could see a hair of light between the pad and the backplate they didn't touch properly

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Anyone can share temps with watercooling but without an active backplate? I'm thinking of taking the (literal) plunge fairly soon, but I don't see any active backplate being available in a reasonable timeframe, that actually fits my GPU.

insp1re2600 likes this.

16. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Its all relative to the size of the loop and the number of rads, I have 3 Rads 1x 280 and 2 x 240 all with push pull Noctua fans and a Aquaero controlling pump and fan speeds based on loop Temp, it also cools my 3900x, fans are set to run very quiet only start at a loop Temp of 25 deg c and above then they spin at only 5-600 rpm but ramp up as Temp increases so to answer your question at idle my GPU is doing nothing its at 210mhz and sits at about 25-27Deg C or loop Temp at full speed which is boosted to 2100 at peak and runs at 2050 it can hit 60 Deg C the loop never passes 34.5Deg C but I do allow the fans to hit maximum RPM once 32 has been reached on the loop

**edit**
    Did you mean junction Temps? sorry misunderstood, just been playing doom for a couple of hours with max everything junction is 58 Deg C avg clock in game was between 1980 and 2050 peaking at 2145 according to HWinfo
    upload_2021-5-12_18-30-15.png

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    jura11 likes this.
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I'm not running active backplate on my two RTX 3090 GamingPro's

Core temperatures are in 36-38°C as max in gaming and both running KPE XOC 1000W BIOS capped at 65-75% and VRAM temperatures are on top one at 60's and bottom one maxing out at 72-76°C

Both RTX 3090 GamingPro's running +105MHz on core and on VRAM +1295MHz on top one and bottom one +1100MHz, bottom doesn't have best VRAM OC

In rendering temperatures are like 3-5°C lower than in gaming and VRAM temperatures are slightly higher

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks man! I guessed as much, that if everything got better cooling, good would could be done even with the passive backplate. One question: Do you have an opinion on the Watercool HTSF 2? From the review in Xtreme Rigs I can see it's fairly good with low and really high fan curves, and it dissipates like 4% less than an SR2 on a lower curve. I have the problem that I've even literally used a bot and I can't find Hardware Labs 360s (neither GTS nor GTX, SR2 is impossible) anywhere, and my GPU has started ramping up due to the summer.

For other reasons, it's also easier to get pretty much everything from Watercool directly.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you can find XSPC RX V3 radiators in your area then I would suggest get them, they are very nice radiators

Watercool is coming with new radiators in coming weeks or months,due this I would wait with purchasing of Watercool radiators, their HTSF radiators are more oriented towards low speed fans and with higher speed fans they just don't scale as much as HWLabs or XSPC

I never used their HTSF radiators on the loops because of performance in push pull and overall thermal dissipation

If you will go with pasive backplate on RTX 3090 I suggest you get heatsink something like this and for bonding use 0.5mm thermal pad with cheap MX-4 thermal paste

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Hea...&keywords=heatsink+blue&qid=1619907866&sr=8-3

If you want to improve VRAM temperatures then replace thermal pads for better thermal pads like Gelid Thermal pads, Bykski use 1.2mm thermal pads and you can use on Bykski waterblocks 1.5mm thermal pads from Gelid although I would go with Thermalright Odyssey but Thermalright pads won't compress as much as Gelid pads

With this mod you should have a better VRAM temperatures by good 10-15°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Lily GFX, PrMinisterGR and nizzen like this.
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks a lot for the reply! Much appreciated!
    I thought this was a rumor for a long time now, but nothing has happened about it.

My thought was to use them with 3x Arctic P12 fans at around 800-1000 rpm max, and use three of them. If the performance is like 4-7% lower than HWLabs, then perhaps I could just use them. It would be handy if I could get most of the things from the same store. The Corsair radiators are more available and much cheaper at this point. The cheapest XSPC I can find right now is 20% more expensive per rad than the Watercool ones.

You recommend to put something like this above the backplate itself?