NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Guys, is there any flag for Dragons Dogma? I am trying to find information in this post but I don't find anything

Even while using DSR, jaggies don't dissapear

2. Dreadmoth

Dreadmoth Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Needs more thorough testing, but it seems that the "HDR" video setting needs to be set to "Low" for anything to work.

After that, 0x000000C1 seems to work (my save isn't in a good place to test properly, no sunlight...).
    Antialiasing fix must be enabled to prevent various bright and dark lines appearing (seems like a bad interaction with shadows or other depth effects) and for better AA coverage.

No AA
    8xSGSSAA (AA fix disabled)
    8xSGSSAA (AA fix enabled)

Will test properly when I can get to somewhere with sunlight or make another save file.

MrBonk and Gonzo32 like this.
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I thought Dragon's Dogma was DX11? I don't own it so i've never tried it .
    If the HDR setting is like older MTF games, you might try using 12C3 and see if that works with HDR High at all.

I'm working on testing when I can for this. I'm part way through so far on Windows 7 and then i'll validate on W10.

4. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Thank you man. I am going to try this and report back

BTW, when you say AA fix enable, which fix do you mean exactly?

Edit: I made it and it works great! There is zero aliasing right now. I love this forum man, thank you

frack the jaggies lol

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Added thanks for this.

Gonzo32 likes this.
  6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OK, so here are my thoughts after testing all 4 of these games on Windows 7 and Windows 10 (x64 Home 1909. I don't use W10 often to play games, tried updating to 2004 or 20H2 but Windows keeps giving me an error , downloading the update manually says update isn't applicable to my computer. Not sure if the build is affecting any of the results)

Dishonored: No problems here I was able to get SGSSAA working on both OS's without your linked SweetFX version and no hud/UI flickering problems at all.
    Not sure what else is going on in your config.
    With SweetFX https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Dishonored2021042015.png
    Without https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/2c5Dishonored2021042015.png
    L4D2: This is functioning properly as long as you are using the correct flag. SGSSAA in this game is softer than without any AA. You can use a negative LOD bias to help out a bit(More so with foliage).
    Alternatively if you want it sharper then you should use an OGSSAA mode or an HSAA mode. like 2x2 Supersampling or 8xS(Along with something like +4xTrSSAA.) They don't tackle all aliasing but still look fine.

DmC: You must have something configured wrong as I was able to get it to work fine on both OS's. DmC is one of those UE3 games with FXAA you can't disable so it conflicts a little, but aside from issues with the DoF it works just fine.
    Enabling the AA fix and using a Negative LoD bias can help improve the image a lot in this game.
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/DMCDevilMayCry202104.png
    https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/156DMCDevilMayCry202104.png
    (8xSGSSAA, AA fix, -1.5 LOD)

Fallout 3: To get it to work with ENB you have to add the Depth bit like with Reshade (0x00400000) once you add that, it works fine. (As long as you don't get the transparent geometry bug , then disable steam overlay and set the setting in the ini as well to fix it). Works fine after that, however enabling ENB SSAO will tank your performance. At 1080p with 8xSGSSAA it goes from ~80% usage at 60FPS to ~35% usage without ENB SSAO enabled
    SSAO Enabled https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Fallout3202104201710.png
    Disabled https://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/514Fallout3202104201710.png

Markie likes this.
  7. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Markie likes this.
  8. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Hmm. Thank you for taking your time. I'll be testing all of it again and making sure I'm setting things up properly... I don't think I did anything wrong as I've known how to use Nvidia Inspector for AA and AO for years now and some of those problems started happening to me all of a sudden, who knows what might have caused it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    Kind of unexpected to see this game supporting SGSSAA. It would be nice if we could enable HBAO+ as well... And especially nice if we had some kind of performance fix because this game runs horribly even on high end hardware.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  10. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes, GPU is always underutilized (maybe its better to cap fps to 30 but i don't bother).

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Feel free to post screens of your profile settings as you retest each one and screens of the games as well, so I can see what you are seeing if possible.
    With Dishonored, you may try disabling FSO or if you have the XBOX Game Bar enabled maybe that's affecting it. (Or anything else injecting itself, perhaps an OSD software other than Afterburner?)
    DMC, without a negative LOD and the AA fix this one is not the easiest to tell it's working because the game has so much going on visually. But using negative LOD will help fix this weird visible texture mip line where it's transitioning between LODs rather obviously. Edges will be hit and miss due to the FXAA. But a hybrid solutions like 2.25xDSR + 4xSGSSAA + -1.0 LOD might provide the best bang for your buck depending on your resolution/framerate target. Otherwise, visually just downsampling for your case may still be the better option performance wise.

Awesome thanks. Mind adding an AA off picture too? Will add.

KainXVIII and Markie like this.
  12. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I don't know, game does not support save anywhere and i already moved to another level..
    I only have similar screenshot with MSAA where you can see jagged foliage https://abload.de/img/20210421124833_1p1ko4.jpg

13. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Can Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 1 (at least) be SSGSS AA? Dunno what bit to use exactly, so I'd appreciate if anyone can check to see what could work if at all :X

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    According to PCGW that game is OpenGL, you can try MSAA + TrSSAA and see if it does anything. Bits won't do anything.

15. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Game has built in MSAA option actually, so I will try enhancing at least :X

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Let me know if it works

17. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    I am playing now Sunset Overdrive at 4k and jaggies are very distracting. Anti aliasing doesnt seem to do anything. Do you have any recomendation guys?

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah you don't have many choices. If you have an performance headroom to run at higher than 4k I would do it as it's your only other option.
    When doing so, the NFAA shader in Reshade may help things appear a bit smoother with some fine tuning of the settings. Though it won't do much about harsh specular aliasing and some temporal aliasing. Not to mention you will need a sharpening pass probably as NFAA can soften the image a bit and filter out some actual detail.
    This is what I set up recently for when I play through Dead Space 2 as forcing AA has too many problems for my liking in this game sadly.

Here's some comparisons:
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/13618
    https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/13619

19. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Thank you for answering, right now I am using reshade and I was using FXAA, TAA Shader and SMAA and it seems to help quite a bit, but i will try NFAA and report back the results. Should I use NFAA in combination with something else?

Edit: I tried and it helps but like you mentioned, specular aliasing is still present. I am trying to use DSR but with this game it doesn't work for some weird reason. I am trying to find info online about why DSR doesn't work but I don't find anything

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The Reshade TAA shader is pretty damn bad. I wouldn't bother with it. Does more harm than good.

By DSR not working, does the game not detect the resolutions or? If it doesn't detect the resolution you may need to set your desktop res to that resolution first and then start the game. Or perhaps if the game has an .ini file forcing it there may work.