GeForce 466.11 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What do you mean? clock adjustment is the base function of Nvidia GPU Boost, the lowest clock a 3080 can operate at is 1440 Mhz as the base clock (though would only happen under significant thermal problems).

Thermals are not the only metric for clock adjustment, Power util as a percentage of TDP is also a factor, as well as device perception of safe operating voltage.

See: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...uess-who-has-fastest-cards-again/gpu-boost-40

2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    As in my gpu was going below its boost speed while it had maximum performance enabled in the nvidia control panel for said game.
    In all my games usually if I set maximum performance it never goes below 1785mhz which is the boost speed.I could be idling with 20% gpu usage and it would stick to 1785mhz
    What I noticed was the gpu was going lower then 1785mhz when it shouldn't.Alteast I've never seen it happen in any other game.
    [​IMG] Tested vermintide 2.Kinda dissapointed in the performance but its vermintide.Heard it could be the game.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the advertised boost speed is an average that sits at the middle of the boost table, your base clock sits at the bottom of that table and is the only guaranteed clockrate under max performance, everything above is dependent on thermal, power and util factors. The advertised boost clock is certainly not a guaranteed speed and never has been.

some sites used to put up charts of boost steps corresponding to vid steps, these days they don't bother, with pascal they were steps of approximately 13mhz, turing and ampere appear to be 15mhz steps

that would mean between base and advertised theres 23 15mhz steps, and likely 22 more above it for a total of 45 steps and a maximum possible boost of 2115mhz - im guessing your 3080 is reference clocks?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  4. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Its a 3080 tuf oc edition.The card actually boost horribly.The card barely breaks 65c and its quite erratic going from 1965mhz (or 1950mhz) to the 1800s at the slighest gpu flactuation.Its simply can't hold it's clock when crap get real which is wierd because my old 1080ti could hold 1950mhz until 70c and then boost down slowly to 1924mhz regardless of whatever happened.If that's not a sign of instability I don't know what it.

That's why I'm thinking there's something wrong with the card itself or the bios of the card atleast.

After playing some more games it seems the issue from black desert is not 100% completely gone after trying warhammer.Its just greatly reduced.I just can't accept such erratic frametime to be "normal"

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    You have them mixed. 19043 = 21H1, 19042 = 20H2. I'm running 19043/21H1 and I was back at 19043.867 but my performance running 466.11 was still terrible. Rolling back to 465.89 and my performance is back to normal running both 19043.867 and 19043.962.

I did also try 470.25 but it was just as bad as 466.11 when running both 19043.867 and 19043.962. I don't know what is causing the issues, but for me running 465.89 is working great no matter what Windows 10 Update I have installed so I'll just keep running the old driver for now.

6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    hmmm tried 465.89 while playing a game and got this [​IMG]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fX51DYwH1vmn-Yp__74W8-sc9R0jaI6/view?usp=sharing stats sigh.
    3080/9900k w10 20h2

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    can't consider dpc results while gaming, the pcie bus and cpu cores can go into low power states (parking, lspm etc) and then a delay cycle is triggered when the bus and chips are returned to high performance in which the device won't process any commands.

you can confirm this with hwinfo64 sensor logging, and the generic log viewer tool.

Would be nice if hwinfo64 logged dpc's at the same time and showed them on a graph

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Even if it doesnt happen with certain drivers using the same settings?even if c-states/speedshift/step and maximum power is chosen globally?

I tried going as back to 457.30 and tried to display the erratic gpu clock when effects are going around but the game straight up crashed.

Also another possible issue I noticed on my 165hz monitor.It seems to periodically and randomly cap itself to lower fps.Don't know if its just a coincidence.

9. Stevebutabi

Stevebutabi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 TUF OC
    It's bouncing off the power limit probably. I have the same card and it does the same thing on certain games depending on settings. The card has to keep it under the power limit so it's constantly adjusting the boost up and down. (If I correctly understand how that works)

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Your GPU may not be taxed enough. When these RTX 3xxx cards aren't taxed enough, they drop to the specced "base boost clock" set in the VBIOS, even when Prefer Maximum Performance is set (you may even have to set it to even get into boost clocks).
    Try to run at a higher resolution with higher settings (you could use DSR to virtually bump the resolution if your monitor doesn't support it).
    A similar thing can also happen if your GPU is being taxed too much, especially from the power limit side.

One thing you could try is a flash a VBIOS that has a higher boost clock set out of the box (not sure what's available for the 3080).
    It's the main reason I use the EVGA Kingpin RTX 3090 BIOS on my card, as it has a base boost clock of 1920MHz instead of the 1860 my 3090 Strix card has by default in older and/or CPU limited games that don't tax the GPU enough to boost over the base setting.

11. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Gpu was getting taxed,infact it was 80+ when core was dropping.Just a quick example of what I was doing to make the gpu usage go really high minus the crash in the end.

ignore the fact game crashed.I tried going back to an older driver.Micro stutter wise/clock wise its still erratic on other more "stable" drivers

Also im on 1440p 165hz.I could try 1080p sure to reduce the issue but it kinda defeats the point of getting a 3080.

Also I have no idea how or where to safely get/do an update on my gpu.Would it void warranty?My gpu bios is 94.02.26.48.40 from what I can tell.

12. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    My card never dips below 1875Mhz on default settings. It doesn't boost horribly, but does like to extra boost with certain overclocks, specifically from +120Mhz on the gpu.
    I did the asus bios update for my tuf 3080 oc. and it reads 94.02.42.40.66. I first did it on the silent performance mode, then after succes on the performance mode. the asus file auto checks which setting you have the switch and acts accordingly.
    Now, if it would help with your clocks, I don't know. It didn't change much on my card. Boosts the same, overclocks the same, performs the same on the games I play.
    My temps are max 64°C on oc settings. Max 62°C on default. Just as in the reviews. My memory junction temperature goes to 85°C max.
    You can see the latter in HWInfo64.
    ps. updating the bios of your card shouldn't void your warranty, just use the official asus update file.
    ps2. It does ofcourse lowers the clocks when a new gaming scene is loaded or when starting a game and watching it load to get to the menu. The normal behaviour when the load drops on the gpu.

13. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    This is a crap driver :mad::D;):)

14. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Don't be silly

Xtreme512 likes this.
  15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Display driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding and has successfully recovered, with this driver. 3 times in Satisfactory and just now in Nier: Replicant. Happens after longer play sessions.

16. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    This is why i said it's a crap driver, i got the same thing, when i revert to previous one all ok even with the procreating kb installed :D:)

flow likes this.
  17. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    These are fine for me, playing Cold War and BFv, even got my best Time Spy score

3DMark-24-04-21.jpg

18. strawpedro

strawpedro Guest

GPU:
    idk if it's this driver or there are some sort of conflict but Yakuza : Like a Dragon stutters a lot in Yokohama (the main map, the prologue map works flawless for me) for me... the game is DX 11 so idk if i am missing some dx11 components

3090 here

19. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Same here, i got a good score in timespy first time, then after heavy gaming i started getting "nvlddmkm" crap crash to desktop, revert to "465.89" and all good again ;):)

20. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition

[​IMG]

while only having twitch in the background on latest driver on a 3080. 457.51 doesn't have the issue.

My c-states/speedshift/speestep are disabled.My windows is using high performance power plan and my nvidia global power setting is on high performance also....