Springtime BBQ/grill/cooking thread!...What y'all eating?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Airbud, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    roast beef stew yesterday!

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

Slow cooked 5hrs in a Oster roaster....tender goodness I tell ya!

y'all post some pictures of what y'all cooking/eating!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    * sigh *
    We still have occasional snows here in Moscow...

Airbud likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Snowed today in fact speaking of that. :)
    Almost warm enough to be considered late Spring-early Summer weather yesterday and now it's back to negatives or just around 0 degrees although it's slowly getting warmer again.

Dogs a Sheltie/Shetland Sheepdog so not the best image match but the snow and all is fun for him at least, soggy watery mess as it melts away though well...after effects of that are very much not. :p
    [​IMG]
    Taking a picture isn't happening it's tough enough already getting the slightly less than enthusiastic fella into the shower ha ha.

EDIT: Oh yeah Summer months and the time to change the car tires over from winter grip also happened last Friday.
    Almost every car owner in Sweden must have let lose a a very lengthy string of curse words seeing the weather this morning.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    jura11, mbk1969, Noisiv and 1 other person like this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looks nice and tasty.
    Good to see someone passionate about cooking.

Airbud likes this.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Cooking? No thank you it's BBQ season.

Airbud likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That looks really good, I haven't made a roast in a long time.

Airbud likes this.
  7. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I got a 6qt instant pot pressure cooker that will cook a roast in less than 1 hour...it's even got a boiled eggs setting that takes 10min...the egg shells come off perfect.

This is the one I got.

[​IMG]

jbscotchman and DannyD like this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nice. I've got a nice 6 quart crock pot but my favorite appliance is my Aroma rice maker with steam tray. I've never been able to make good rice on the stove top but this thing does it perfect while you got peas/carrots steaming at the same time. Been thinking about getting some kind of counter-top air fryer oven in the future. They seem like very versatile machines.

aroma.jpg

JonasBeckman, Airbud and DannyD like this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I fry or oven cook all of my food but damn i'm gonna get me one of these kitchen appliances asap.
    AirBud makes the most delicious food i ever seen.:D

jbscotchman and Airbud like this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And my car is still on winter tires...

Airbud, DannyD and CrazY_Milojko like this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That reminds me of...oh.

Airbud and mbk1969 like this.
  12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Best I can do when it comes to "cooking" is to make instant soup :D I would drop dead in few weeks, or at least poop a rocks :D if I had to cook myself. That's why I've married long tome ago, my lady cooks like a pro, same as my mom. Worh mentioning are my best man and best childhood friend, both are cooking like there is no tomorrow. My best men Pera knows how to cook any kind of meat except fish, but best friend Dada cooks only fish in 5000 different ways.

I'm pretty much a BBQ guy, whenever someone needs a BBQ guy I'll do it for free, doesn't matter how many people needs to be feed, 20, 50 or more, I'll do it with pleasure. Just give me enough of raw meet (mostly from beef's neck), pljeskavice & ćevapi, chicken legs and wings, spicy hot sausages and lots of bacon, I mean a LOT of it, I always put a thin piece of bacon on the top of every peace of meat on the BBQ... pay me with few beers and some grilled bacon and we got a deal.

7 days and counting till my birthday, gonna spend 30.04, 01.05 and maaeaybe (probably not) 02.05 (02.05.2021 is our orthodox Easter here) either in my friends cabin near Danube or my own cabin also near Danube. Two of my friends, their wifes and kids, my wife, me and our kids, this time we're gonna "force" our parents (total of 8, some aren't with us anymore) to come and spend some relaxed time with us, this virus insulation/prevention situation for this long is mental for them, elders also could make a use of relaxing in nature, probably more than us "youngsters"... guess around 20 of us. For my friends and myself that gathering counts as a real start of a spring and it's been like that for past more than 30 years. Three of us friends, backthen beardless boys with (some of us, here and there) with their chicks in... cough... cough... separate camping tents :rolleyes: ... few dacades later now old farts with our wifes and kids, some of us :) maybe even with grandchildren few years from now... 2 or maybe 3 days of complete overeating + total of probably between 30 and 50 liters of beer, me in front of BBQ, my best man in front of the huge camping cooking pot, second friend nearby cooking fresh cought fish... soup, don't know the name for it in english, here it's called: riblja čorba ...Danube in front of us (some 100m from my friends cabin, it depends of season around 10-20 meters from my cabin), forest behind our backs... paradise on Earth, what more one could ask for :)

Can't wait for above event, later this day I'm going to by a new grill, smaller one this time as a backup solution if someone else drops in and one huge grill isn't enough: just bring something to drink and everyone is invited :)

Wish we could make some non-formal "Guru3D gathering" sometimes in the future, somewhere in the nature, Airbud cooking, me BBQ'ing, lots of beer and alcohol (beer is not alcohol, here it counts as a food hahaha), who's interested I ...cough... know some chicks;) (lucky me my wife isn't reading this). Few days would be enough, once a year. Who knows, maybe one day we can do something about it, think about it guys... Cmon, how come a teleport isn't invented yet!?

Our family from Canada yesterday, or it was day before, they've send us pics of their backyard full of fresh snow, somewhere near Toronto iirc, ffs it's the end of the April! :eek: Spring, where are you?

jura11, jbscotchman, mbk1969 and 2 others like this.
  13. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Hmmm... Looking at the mushrooms in first Airbud's post, anyone tried to grill those yet? Maybe it could be nice, with a bit of bacon on the top while grilling so that mushrooms don't dry, think (almost sure) I've never tried to grill mushrooms yet, gonna try to find some today and grilling mushrooms would be my "side quest" 7 days from now (already can see my wife rolling eyes on that "brilliant idea" lol).

For anyone interested young corn is fantastic if one can grilled it propperly, alway put some meat around while grilling young corn, of course thin pieces of bacon over the top of corn while grilling... When it's done add some himalayan salt (I like it insanely salted + cold beer) and people around are going to choke/fight for it :)

jura11 and Airbud like this.
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I do grill champignon mushrooms fill em with creamcheese and wrap with bacon. Creamcheese here we can have with for example reindeer in it some for taste. But any works. Comes out really nice and does not dry up. Stick a toothpick or something on em so the bacon won't unwrap.

Gonna start grilling season coming weekend gonna be grilling some nice sausages, pork, chicken and veggies and making potatomash (I always leave the peels since why the f not). Going to be a nice weekend at the cottage.

Airbud and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    During this month... :)

Karpaten_3.jpg Karpaten_2.jpg Karpaten_1.jpg Romferm_4.jpg Romferm_1.jpg

16. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @Airbud
    Buddy now you can safely change this thread name to something like: Springtime BBQ/grill thread ...simply there is no way you can fight with all of us BBQ lovers ;)
    Sounds tasty. My mom fills champignon mushrooms (prior to that ofc she removes the "tree" and turn them upside down) with "something" and then bake them in the oven under the aliminium foil so that they can't dry up. Once started eating that I don't know when to stop :), I like that a bit more salty. I know way too much salt isn't healty in my age but after switching from "regular" salt to himalayan salt it's like a night and day and my gastric isn't complaining a bit when I oversalt something. Hope one day my lady is going to adopt that champignon mushroom recipe from my mom, till then few times per years in mom's kitchen is more then enough for me.

Offtopic... Don't know the statistics for other countries but here in Serbia I've noticed past year or so during this pandemic quarantines people are overeating most of the time, it's enough for me to see all those lines of same people in front od LIDL's cash registers with shopping carts fool of all kinds od food every single day: "...this damn virus, gotta stay home and work from home... what can I do to kill some time... let's cook something!...". More than few people I know, family or friends, got their weight up in past years, my lady and older son too, my younger son not so much, only my daugter and myself (both fast metabolism) we stayed at the same weight prior pandemic. If this pandemic situation continues more than few months from now this overeathing trend is going to continue for sure. Guess the only way/reason for some to cut their weight down is vacation at sea this year, for some of us, God knows if it's gonna happen this year. We were aiming for Greece/Tassos last year, payed everything in advance during -15% or it was -20% first minute offers back in Decembar 2019 and everything about our arrangement in Tasos/Potos got cancelled back in April 2020. We'll see what's gonna happen this summer but if my lady wants "me to take her to Greece" this year for sure she needs to start cuting her weight down right now, not few weeks before the trip.

Tomorrow... My dads's birthday: we're going to kill ourselves with BBQ I'm making in late afternoon hours. Two days later it's my birthday and one more "all day long BBQ" that day and one more BBQ next day in our friends cabin near the Danube on labor day when most people here are going somewhere in nature to BBQ. Next day and one more reason to eat and drink: May 2, 2021 it's orthodox Easter here and again more food and drink on the table. For sure paramedics here are going to to have way too many calls in next 5, 6 days because people overeating and overdrinking themselves during labour day vacation and Easter.

@Airbud ...told ya!

@burebista ...I'll try to do some "BBQ counter attack" pics during my BBQ session on Danube with family, friends and kids on May 1, 2021... if beer doesn't hit me way too much :D

Airbud and burebista like this.
  17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Was thinking to made few pics of BBQing today but I had a full hands BBQing around 12Kg of all kinds of meat, ember was super-hot and I was like a super-fast BBQ robot for almost 2 straight hours :D Wife did a few pics when everything was over because while I was in front of BBQ she and other women there also had a hands full of job preparing meat for BBQ.

1st pic before BBQ is for our recently fallen Guru3D friend Extraordinary. I never drink Rakija without a valid reason but this time felt the need to take one for the peace of his soul, hope he is at the better place right now, no doubt he is.

2nd and 3rd pics are taken by my lady when everything about BBQ was finally over. To prevent jokes :rolleyes: about my weight (really I'm not fat, newer was, 187cm and atm around 90Kg) reason for me looking like a balloon: I was half-cooked/grilled, swallen from heat in front of BBQ, smoke... OK, OK, and few beers while doing BBQ :) My childhood buddies left and right, pics taken in my friend's Dada's (fanatical football fan, was) small cabin near Danube river in place called Čortanovci. Right is my friend Pera (cop), my best man and godfather of all 3 of my children. We had a great day together with wifes and kids and some (a lot of) random visitors. Had to take a quick nap somewhere between 5PM and 6PM because I was so tired of BBQ, overeating... and of course beer(s) :D But it was worth it.

Recently we returned to home from there, still haven't washed myself, enjoying in BBQ smell all over me (our dog Meda adores me atm, wondering why lol)... and uploading this pics, my lady sometimes makes a fun of me after BBQ events like this: "...kids, if you didn't know yet we have a 90Kg of smoked meat at home... atm sitting in front of laptop!!!... cmon man ffs, wash yourself already!!!...". Our dog: "...boss, don't listen to her, don't do it, let me enjoy just a bit more near you..."

Went to wash myself... cheers!

Attached Files:

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I tried making a chicken and rice kind of thing but the mistake I made was trying out carolina reaper in the sauce thinking it would make it just a bit spicy which in reality it makes it too spicy to the point of not being able to eat it.....

Carolina reaper is just too hot, I have no idea what to do with them that is safe to consume.

CrazY_Milojko and Airbud like this.
  19. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Not sure if next suggestion would help in case of spicy/hot sauce but it's a well known trick when something is way too salty just put few cooked potatos in and it will suck it most of the salt. Saw few times women using this trick when lets say soup is too salty. Maybe someone here can share his knowledge about better solution do deal with spicy/hot food.

Airbud likes this.
  20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Forgot to take pictures, but had a BBQ with 2 families whom befriended us.
    Lamb chops, spicy chicken wings and homemade burgers were on the menu.
    All with fresh spring herbs, salads and an assortment of wines and beers.
    Old wood used for the coals, olive wood and Mediterranean pine. Such a lovely time, adults having a relaxed time in the garden, enjoying weather and drinks, watching over green fields dotted with carmin red poppy flowers, while kids were chasing each other and climbing in the trees.
    That BBQ nourished our souls and filled our senses with pleasant smells and feelings.

Last edited: May 3, 2021