Acer EI491CRG9 49-inch MiniLED curved display G-SYNC 240Hz true 1ms HDR2000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2021.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Funniest thing ive read all year

carnivore, Undying and alanm like this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I missed that. Jeezus... :p

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I have the G9. I came from dual 27" monitors so I knew what to expect size wise. Normal windows tasks, it's pretty much the same experience, with a few quirks.

Gaming, it feels pretty natural. I wish it was 32:10 though, could do with a bit more vertical real estate.

I'll have to agree. I have a 55" OLED TV and it's stunning. I was thinking about going with the 48" LG CX for my monitor but I went with the G9 instead. The 48" would be way too high for normal use, having to constantly look up. That being said, by the time I'm done with the G9 in a few years, I'll probably be going OLED for my main monitor, but they'll have to be smaller, 40" or so, that would work.

GREGIX and NCC1701D like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im also in favor of ultrawides for gaming but that is just ridiculous.

metagamer likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Have your annual like from me brother, this doesn't mean we're friends lol, but for once I agree with you disagreeing with that comment.

@NCC1701D about the game support, it's better than I expected. Most games will work in 32:9 right out the box. Some won't though. Cities Skylines comes to mind. But that will run just fine at 3440x1440 if you create that custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel.

I bought the G9 for sim racing. I also have a Quest 2 for sim racing, but for example ACC is much better on the G9. I'll use the G9 in 32:9 for many games that are not super demanding, games like Diablo 2 Resurrected, Grim Dawn, many other games. Hell, even Cyberpunk runs fine at 5120x1440 on my pony PC.

The times I want to have something else on the side, like a Netflix show or YouTube, I can just game at 3440x1440 (21:9) or 2560x1440 (16:9).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Undying likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Haha, ok we're not friends you pointed it out few times but heres a like for your G9 not you. ;)

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Hey listen, you cut out some of your AMD fanboyism and I'll rate you pretty high. No hard feelings, you're growing on me you random person.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What's so appealing about it? Maybe I sat too close but any time I saw one in person all it did was fill the periphery which is a whole lot of resources spent for very little gain. If I sit further then it's just a whole lot of empty vertical space.

Even for more normal ultra-wides it's a ton more GPU power and cost for that horizontal length. 3440x1440 is almost 34.4% more pixels than 2560x1440. Considering the volume that even those sell at, I'm surprised that companies keep making them, and that any games at all support them, which wasn't many last I saw.

9. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7900GX2 GTX DUOs in Quad SLi
    Not for the last year or so at least. As a previous owner of 2 x LG OLEDs that upgraded to the Samsung Q950TS last year, the highest end QLEDs simply blow OLEDs away for HDR viewing, not to mention having a proper antireflection coating, and they don't get burn in or fade over time and can display proper HDR brightness levels so you don't need tone remapping. As per the reviews the best "normal" size TVs that money can buy so far this year and last year were QLEDs:

Samsung's Neo QLED TV rated 'Best TV of All Time' by German AV magazine - SamMobile

Samsung Q950TS review: an 8K masterpiece, and the new best TV on the planet | T3