Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Risedo

Risedo Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    that ok really thank your help
    win 8.1 default is MS default
    upload_2021-3-31_19-50-37.png
    should I try change "MSISupported" 1 to 0x00000000 ?
    My win10 SSD default msi mode is enable
    that why I want to change it in win 8.1

Edit2:[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I find it Standard SATA AHCI Controller is my old device

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Risedo

Risedo Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    finally, I fix it.
    I just delete MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
    then boot safe mode and using MSI_util_v3 enable msi then disable
    Thank your help mbk1969

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Strange thing because you already wrote that you tried to delete that registry key. Also setting the value MSISupported to 0 should fix the issue as well.

4. Risedo

Risedo Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    yes, that is really weird.
    normal mode bluescreen
    boot safe mode working

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Risedo likes this.
  6. sideskroll

sideskroll Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 Ti Strix
    Hi, long time user, first time poster.
    I've been using the tool you created ever since I knew about its existence. To be honest not because I can "feel": a difference but mainly because I'm "that type of guy"...
    Anyway, Just finished updating some drivers and thought I'd have a look and see if by any chance there was an update to the tool (as I always do) and lo and behold, for the first time in many moons there was actually a new version.
    Not sure what's the difference between versions (if any) but I did realize something:

- This is how v2 works on my system
    v2.jpg

(As you can see, I already checked every box to use it in MSI mode etc, never had a problem with anything)

- And this is how v3 looks like on the same system:
    V3.jpg
    (There are MANY new options that I'm not even sure if I need or not)

Ok, my question is a twofold short and simple actually (unlike my post, LOL):
    What's the RECOMMENDED setting for EVERYTHING (provided nothing causes a BSOD, and it doesn't) I'm assuming MSI? And should I change "interrupt priority" now that the tool gives me the option? If so. which ones and to what? High? Normal?, Low?
    Thanks a bunch!

PS: My main interest is for competitive gaming... Thanks again for taking the time to update the tool and reply to (most) of the comments made in here.
    You rock.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are welcome.

MSI mode should work better, so yes turn MSI mode for everything (but only for devices that support it). Majority of gurus do not see much of improvement over the legacy mode, though.
    As for interrupt priority we still do not know neither how exactly it applies nor whether it applies at all. Some gurus reported better mouse responsiveness after they set high priority for USB controller where mouse is connected.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  8. finiteLimit

finiteLimit Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE
    First of all, respect to OP for still supporting a thread and helping people out even after nearly a decade.

I have a brief question.

I've been struggling with input lag / inconsistent frametime spikes in the game Overwatch for quite awhile. The game feels buttery smooth at times, and other times, not so much. I've been toying around with a lot of settings. As of today, I downloaded MSI Utility v2, and set my GPU to MSI mode, as well as set my priority to 'High' (which I believe is one of the more harmless settings to change).

My question is as follows: If I wanted to revert these two settings (MSI Mode, high priority) for my GPU (GTX 1080), would I simply need to launch the MSI Utility v2 and uncheck 'MSI' as well as set priority back to Undefined? Would that completely restore all settings that have been set by MSI Utility v2?

I just fear permanent damage done to my OS, or things like leftover registry keys with no way to revert everything except reinstalling Windows. I created a system restore point in case.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @finiteLimit

Interrupt priority setting can be reverted to original state by setting it to original state (as it was first time you look at it).
    MSI checkbox can be reverted to original state only if corresponding registry value was present before you started to toy with it. If registry value is not present and user checks MSI checkbox then registry value is created - after that all clicks on the checkbox just change the value of the setting. And tool does not indicate whether MSI registry value is present or not - unchecked MSI checkbox is shown for both - present "0" value and absent value.

Permanent damage in the form of unbootable OS can come only if you check MSI checkbox for device needed for OS boot (like SATA controller) while device does not support MSI mode. And tool reports supported modes.

As for leftovers, one registry value in corresponding device registry key is hardly a problem.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    finiteLimit likes this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    After I upgraded to a much more modern system (B550 chipset) from my old one (P67, Sandy Bridge era) I checked how many devices were in MSI mode by default. Answer: all of them, except NVidia. SATA, USB, NIC, Audio, everything is in MSI mode by default, except the NVidia GPU and the NVidia HDMI audio devices.

Maybe NVidia should start getting with the times? The weird thing is that on Linux, NVidia is already using MSI mode by default. What on earth makes Windows special here that NVidia chooses to use legacy IRQs by default?

Edit: Oops, I'm an idiot. Audio (Realtek) is not in MSI mode. No idea how I misread that in the device manager.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Smough likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @RealNC

Problem with SATA devices is they do not work in MSI mode with default Windows drivers in Win7 and Win8. Only Win10 has default SATA drivers which work in MSI mode.

I was thinking to modify tool to not show devices without MSI mode support or just refuse to save changes...

PS As for NV GPUs people reported new 3000 cards working in MSI mode by default.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hrm, apparently Intel since Ivy Bridge has supported a IRQ feature called PAIR.
    • Power Aware Interrupt Routing (PAIR): This feature is meant to improve Intel's core sleeping technology by making the CPU aware of which of its cores are asleep and which are awake. It can then send interrupt requests from peripherals or a software application to cores that are up and running, rather than waking a core that has been powered down to handle the interrupt.
    I wonder if AMD has a similar feature.

mbk1969 likes this.
  13. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    On my system, windows is using MSI by default so it seems system dependent, the driver must be looking for "something" to decide whether its on or off by default.

14. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I used to run my sata in MSI mode on windows 8.1, was off by default, but after I toggled didnt notice any issues, win 10 its MSI by default.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is no such decision in the driver logic, Ampere is the first line to have the driver inf default to MSIs

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And on Win7 you would get unbootable OS.

17. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Probably, but I was reporting for win8 as I seen a comment saying it didnt work for it.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The latest cards support it by default.

20. xShino

xShino Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Can I safely disable MSI Mode on my M2 NVME which has the OS installed?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer.

Last edited: May 24, 2021