X58 OC P6T Asus

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by frcento, Feb 26, 2018.

1. frcento

frcento Guest

GPU:
    560 SLI @ 1000MHz
    Hi everyone. I'm having problems to overclock my system. I cant get stable near the frequency 1866 on memory, even though their are HyperX 1866 ram sticks...

First, I tried with the original BIOS, P6T SE. I tried max timings, 11-10-10-31 (cant go higher on this bios) with 22 multiplier, 1.35-1.40V CPU, QPI Voltage tried from 1.3 to 1.5, BCLK max I can post was 185, setting memory to 1853MHZ - if I increase BCLK to 186, and memory go to 1865, the system will not POST.

At this settings, 185 BLCK 1853 Mem, even at max voltages, I get random blue screens on Windows, that only stop if I downclock the memory. Temp with max voltages at around 1.45, even 1.5 dont go higher than 75-80C on CPU.

No matter what, I could not boot at memory clock higher than 1853....

So, I decided to try crossflashing to P6T BIOS, instead SE version. It worked. With this bios, I can set timings higher than normal, I tried 10-11-10-31, and I could POST and boot to Windows as high as 1985 mhz on memory, but not stable, crash in 5 minutes using prime95...

Do I need higher timings? Is a pain in the ass, sometimes I have to reset BIOS, shutdown the machine every time that it crashes... I'm beginning to think that my memories are pirate or something. I read that HyperX 1866 Fury should clock at 2133 without problems with 1.6V... Or something to do with this QPI voltage, even though I tried many different voltages.

Here is the memory SPD:

[​IMG]

Now I'm running prime95 for about a hour and seems to be stable, but memory is downclocked to 1648MHz, see below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    My old i7 920 Bloomfield and ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 system (very similar) was very tempermental with memory past 1600 MHz. Max memory speed with those systems was very dependent on the quality of the CPU's memory controller.

Make sure your CPU uncore frequency (ratio) is no higher than 2x the RAM frequency. This has a significant impact on stability and can potentially cause damage to the CPU if the uncore frequency is more than 2x the RAM frequency. You could also try setting the uncore ratio to something less than 2x (such as 1.5x) and see if that helps. If you reach stability with the uncore ratio at 1.5x, you can try again at a higher ratio until you find the max.

3. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    It's ok if RAM is downclocked because at the end what's important is latency. 1600 RAM or 1866 or 2100 I promise you will not see a difference in any of them. RAM speed is over hyped, what's important is the timings. Anything beyond 1600Mhz you will not see a difference I promise you my friend. So if I were you I would take RAM to 1600Mhz and tighten your timings to 9-9-9-24 and see how it runs, then maybe you can even change the latency to 8-9-9-24 .... Good Luck

4. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    I am using DDR3 at 1603 and I never experienced any crash...
    Much faster than at 1333. Here it is my BIOS settings. My CPU is XEON 5660 that handles memory in optimum way...

BIOS_01.jpg BIOS_02.jpg

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that is FAR FAR more voltage you would ever need for a 5660 to hi 4.2Ghz

6. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    What voltage would you suggest? I found these settings in a certain presentation for a stable ASUS P6T SE OC set up...

I am not a pro, instead I am a rookie in such things...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i've got 4.2 stable at 1.25/1.25 vcore and qpl-vtt, you shouldn't need to go over 1.28.

8. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    Thx a lot! I will try these values, I hope I have something to gain in terms of speed or stability...
    Anyway, till now, with my settings I never experienced a blue screen...

9. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    I share here bigger images of my BIOS in case the previous images were unreadable...

BIOS_01A.jpg BIOS_02A.jpg

10. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    Sorry that I didn't analyze your data at the first time. Can you repeat clearly what value to what line?

what is vcore?
    what is vtt?

and how many values you change, 2 or 3?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    CPU voltage = Vcore
    QPI-Dram = VTT

12. Alk Haz

Alk Haz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX660/2GB
    I just placed these values and I immediately I experienced blue screen!!!

The QPI-Dram couldn't be exactly at 1.28, but 1.2815 or something. Anyway, I couldn't proceed much time to any windows program because I had repeatedly blue screens. I tried three times and nothing could change...

Thanks a lot anyway...:)

If I have to find another different settings set up, I must find something stable as the one I have now, that never before gave me any blue screen...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    What I remember on my old X5670 I needed something like 1.32v for QPI VTT and for vCore 1.34v to be stable at 4.4GHz, temperatures never broke 72°C in OCCT with Thermalright Macho HR

There is good thread on OCN regarding the Xeon and X58

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're right, it seems like the 95w xeons need more voltage to achieve 4+ than the 130w xeons.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Check you're not hitting the 8 GHz QPI limit if using the higher bandwidth mode. Can't remember the exact maths, but the limit is a hard one and it won't allow it to be exceeded.

16. NaeTrain

NaeTrain Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 580 8gb
    I have the V2 and with memory I dont even bother over 1600. I have gotten it to boot at higher speeds but eventually blue screens would follow and ram would always be the issue. Was running 4gb in each slot so 24gb total. Most people wind up having memory disappear reappear due to the mem controller issues. Personally I would be really happy with that ram at that speed. X5675 super cheap right now and mine runs 4.5 on air all day ez. Best way to go IMO at the moment I think on ebay we are looking at $25. For UCLK I always had to (speed) x 2 and then select the next option down so X2+1.CPU voltage was 1.34V - 1.38V I had to switch them depending on season. Probably could be lower but my stuff has been in use daily pretty much since new. Starting to show age. Getting my monies worth. PLL =1.84V, dram bus voltage = 1.55V, IOH was 1.2V (I reseated TIM on all the heatsinks) Also I think the P6T SE had an issue causing people to flash the bios as you did but because the turbo would not hold steady at 21 multi or above. Asus release special fixes for this issue. I think the program is I7 tubro to check. Hopefully this became rock solid. I still have the v2 but currently using P6X58D premium. With any 6 core 32nm expect about 1k in cinebench R15. Would consider 1100 a perfect score and happy with anything above 950 really.

Love messing with X58 and glad to see there are others still out there. I have newer setups and they get to sit in the corner on time out for being boring. Bios where u can click? Were the arrow keys that hard? They are finally killing the scene through standardization and efficiency.

My favorite resource is of course tech yes city for OC on Asus boards specifically. He has great walk throughs and pretty sure he gets some sooper high ddr3 ecc settings. 2k+ I think
    His vids are on Youtube and website is a (dot) tv. He has a beautiful EVGA SR-2 with 2 x X5690. Red + Black in a Corsair 760T case I think. Pinnacle X58 IMO.

Keep it up. GL

jura11 and Undying like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ehhhhh...... i have to say yes and no here,

i did a 4.4Ghz 1680v2 recently, and watched his video, he raises a lot of voltages and digivrm settings that really aren't necessary, and his explanation for raising them don't even match the discription of what they do.....

in the end the overclock was done by changing the Vcore on its own, none of the current %'s, none of the Vccsa or anything else, and my benchmark result was 1572 to his 1556,