Oculus Quest 2 Update Offers 120 Hz Support, Wireless PC streaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Facebook login mandatory.

Brasky likes this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah this should be intresting to see working, as the guy that made Virtual desktop was doing magic, so lets see how the offical native PCVR streaming does.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My son is on his 2nd Oculus device (CV1, Rift S) Never once needing a facebook account. I keep reading mandatory facebook. The exact same thing is said about his specific headsets and it's not true. He doesn't even have a facebook account at all. (proud)

Is it for the Quest only or something? Or just nonsense because Facebook owns it? (to be clear, I can't stand Facebook either)

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^You are on borrowed time i am afraid as all Oculus accounts have a set date of 01/01/2023 to be linked to a mandatory FB social media account, so basically you now have 20 month left before your are required to have linked your present oculus accounts to a FB social media account, and as of that date all Oculus accounts will be defunct and may no longer fuction, so you may lose access to your oculus account, all your software and your Headsets may no longer work or even boot.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Hell be forced to soon, or won't be able to use the device.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Even Samsung's GearVR from Oculus reduced functionality over time. And then you just had to have account after some update. So I did make new dummy FB account on principle.
    And officially they say it is requirement.
    To give you Q2 answer: https://support.oculus.com/424208161507635/

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That is just silly. Oculus is dead becouse of that.

9. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    I want to jail break my rift s. &UCK FB

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    If this ends up being true, what's the huge downfall of creating a blank account?

How are they going to force him to have a facebook account to play steam games? A VR unit is basically just a monitor strapped to your head.

If they want to put up another wall to the oculus store, I agree, it's stupid and annoying, but I still don't see the massive problem. Again, make an account just for this. How hard is that?

Have any of you actually owned a VR headset and had to make an account? If not, I can't figure out why you would be actively discouraging people from trying a reasonably priced headset. Again. 2 headsets, never any facebook whatsoever. Anyone who tied their account in did so of their own accord.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not hard - it took me 5 minutes to setup an account with fake information. It's no different than setting up a steam account, origin account, uplay account, etc.

I don't like Facebook as much as anyone else but I personally don't see the issue here.. pretty much every single device I use now requires some kind of account.

12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    To some saying the Facebook requirement would mean death etc... That's like saying Google is dead with Android.... Google harvests just as much data, if not more than Facebook does when you use your google account for your personal telecommunications device... What you need to do with ANYTHING that uses your personal information is read the privacy notices and specify what any company can do with your data. In the UK and the EU, it is law that companies have to respect your decisions on how data is used so check those privacy options clearly.

Using Facebook on the Quest isn't really as bad as it's made out to be, if you don't like to use Facebook, there's no need to actually have a public profile, you create the account and then restrict all the information - it can be made so that your Facebook profile is not visible or searchable, just like on Steam, completely private profiles.

Would you rather use a Microsoft to log into your quest store front? Steam account? Epic account? Google account? Unique account specific to the quest that uses the same information as the rest of those accounts?

The real problem is that Facebook obfuscate this process burying these options in hard to navigate menus.

Lastly, with the Quest, you have an additional account layer, you have the Oculus username so your identity can be protected should you wish it to be (and even the Oculus profile can be further hidden).

That being said, if you were to use the Quest as a display adaptor, then of course, what would the purpose of needing an account be however the quest is like a games console that requires access to store fronts and service network, it is first and foremost and standalone system, like an iPhone or a Playstation.

The Rift though I'm not too clued up on, I believe though the Facebook requirement will be if you're wishing to access the store front and associated social platforms.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is big difference. And that's in whom you are willing to give your data. And lets be honest. They do their best to connect data to specific people and keep those data connected.

And that in itself is problem of trust. FB in general has zero trust from anyone who did see different CEOs being questioned by US Congress about user privacy.
    And at same time keeps in mind that people were cancelled for something they did tweet/wrote XX years ago. That been taken out of original contemporary contex.

So imagine FB leaking data about your kid when he's at top of his career and becomes undesirable to FB's operations. Like that he played game XYZ which is after years considered horrid or shameful.
    Or list of movies he seen in VR. Or maybe they trace some of user interaction with other users.

FB as company does not even have data for auditing access to anyone's private/group chats. So their employees which have access to all chats. (Not only those reported for violations.) Can leak anything. And considering big tech/SV being quite invaded by (ultra)left employees, safety is not guaranteed at all. As modus operandi for those groups is character assassination.

Trust should be earned and they do opposite.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    US is a different ball game admittedly... Considering you can enter a contract and waive your statutory rights.. (something not legal on this side of the pond). - furthermore, anything that is written should always be carefully made. Whether it be a letter, text message, tweet or instant message. That is evidence no matter whom is the intermediary.

Topic of "leaking data" is very much speculatory and can apply to any format and within any company. Should any confidential information be leaked, that's breach of trust and appropriate legal action should be taken.

Not sure what your comment of "ultra left employees" is meant to signify though...

15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Yes but all your purchases etc are linked to the face book account and if that account gets disabled as you can't pass the ID check if it's flagged as fake then you lose everything.

I don't think they are accepting new oculus accounts now, I signed up for a Facebook to use my quest 2.

Fake account isn't issue for me as I did sideload all the apps anyway.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I honestly don't understand how creating a throwaway FB account is an issue for people. Especially considering everyone has all of your details these days, anyway.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    FB closed the enire oculus account system just before they launched the Quest II last October because the Quest II is the system that they are using to merge their VR platform into their social media business, and all the old oculus accounts that are left are now legacy accounts who are now running out of time to link to a FB account before they go bang and vanish in a puff of smoke. lol

As a matter of fact right now on the CV1, Rift S and Quest, FB had already removed all the social features for everyone who is still only using the old oculus account only, that is why they are all greyed out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't get why this is a bad thing? If you were developing a subscription VR MMO wouldn't you want the marketplace to have subscription support?

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    There is no native option for PCVR on these things. Native SteamVR interfacing was conveniently cancelled as soon as they made their sales, and BOTH link and wireless remain compressed video streaming options.

If you want PCVR, you have to get PCVR.